Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all. I have a bonnie air cooled 2015 . I had a strange thing happen yesterday. Stopped at a fuel station, filled up when i tried to restart holding the start button the starter just gave a half second
“ whizz” but nothing more. Tried about 6 times in a row same thing a half second “whizz” . Unwilling to do more than that half second holding the button down.

Left it for about 10 seconds before the next attempt and this time it started perfectly normally.
After id finished my run back at my garage, turned it off and after 2-3 mins tried to start it and fired up instantly. But i wanted to understand what occurred back there.
is it sticking solenoid? And likely to stick again ? Hopefully a one off , just stuck in the open position? Or is this something that my model suffers with etc ?
Just like your thoughts on if you have also had this experience or where the fault might be ? Could be a one off, intermittent or about to become permanent.

TIA.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes its worth doing that as a starting point.
all other electrical equipment like clock display and lights were functioning whilst it was not engaging. It was responding to the start button but not more than a half second worth of whizz noise. Im thinking solenoid but its still worth checking battery connection just to rule that out. Bit if it was loose connection it would either work or not work at all depending on if it connected or not ?

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
Loose or corroded connections can be intermittent. A battery can be degraded just enough to be just on the edge of total failure.
Clean and tighten connections and do a load test on your battery to eliminate these as the cause.

·
Premium Member
745 Posts
I'm going to disagree with the others - I'd say the "whizz" sound is your starter motor turning (so the electrics are fine) - I'd be inclined to think the sprag clutch was failing to engage. Next time it happens put the bike into gear and rock it back and forth, this might encourage to sprag clutch to engage...

Tim

~'05 Thruxton~Sport Evolution 1100cc~FCR 39mm~813 cams~shim-under-bucket~+1.5mm valves~Ignitech CDI~m-Unit~Acewell CA85~F3 Frankenfork~Hagon Nitros~6-piston Pretech~520 chain~wide 17" rims~tubeless conversion~Michelin Road 5~

1 - 5 of 5 Posts