Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm currently in the process of rebuilding my '09 S3 after removing the engine for some work. I just made my first attempt at starting it and while the starter motor is engaging properly it isn't cranking the engine. I suspect that I'm missing something obvious - the gears all seem to be engaging but the starter clutch is spinning freely. Any ideas?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Figured it out! I knew I must have done something stupid - turns out that if you have the rubber shielded grounding wire on the starter instead of the proper cable for the starter it spins the wrong way! My starter cable had gotten itself wedged between the engine and the frame when I reinstalled it and was all but invisible, I had looked all over for the right cable and eventually convinced myself that the grounding one had to be it since it was all I could find and had a similar rubber cover. After finally finding a photo of the right wire and realizing that wasn’t it I was able to find the correct one hiding behind the engine - hooked that one up and it started with no problems.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 3 of 3 Posts