Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2013 Triumph Tiger 800
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I have a new to me 2013 Tiger 800 ABS. I bought it last May with only 2000 miles on it. So it sat for pretty much 7 years. I put 4000 miles on it up through about a month ago. That is when it happened. I was parking it at him and it died. I let go of the clutch and it stalled out. I tried to restart, turned the key to the on position, and the Tach shook, and the dash lights flickered and there was an annoying electrical buzz. I never even hit the start button. I turned the key off and it stopped. So I started my inspection.

Started pulling relays under the seat. No change until I pulled the starter circuit relay. Turn the key and everything except the start circuit works fine.

Then bench tested the relay and found it to be faulty. changed it. Turned the key and the buzz is still there.

Tested the switches, Clutch, Kickstand, Start, Kill, Neutral. All test out fine.

Pulled the starter solenoid and bench tested it. No click, constant resistance in both states. Ok, a new one is on order and trying to get here.

I hooked jumper cables to the starter and did a sort of bench test while it was still in the bike and it seems to spin just fine.
So my question. What am I not checking that I should? Where can you buy parts that is not a dealership and maybe quicker? Are there other issues I should brace myself for on a Tiger that sat so much?

Thanks for any info and Hope you are all enjoying some time in the wind.

Later,

·
Premium Member
3,018 Posts
You might be calling it something different than me but, how about the main fuse that's under the battery? They're known to corrode.

·
Registered
2013 Triumph Tiger 800
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
You might be calling it something different than me but, how about the main fuse that's under the battery? They're known to corrode.
I have checked the one on the solenoid. It was fine. It sends power but it also chatters like a ground issue or some switch is partially engaged. I will try and find the video I took. It might help someone see that extra thing I have not checked. Thanks for responding.

·
Registered
2013 Triumph Tiger 800
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Have you checked the battery with a load tester?

Chico
I have not. I have checked it with the key off and it holds a nice 12.7. I have not checked it with the key on. That is a great point. Thanks for the heads up. I appreciate the reply. If it is a faulty switch or device that should show a massive drop. Then I would need to check each item tied to the starter circuit. I need to look over my schematics and see what else is engaged in that circuit and test that out.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts