Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On a 2012 abs model. Last season my starter button would stick in, intermittintly, causing the starter to stay engaged after the engine starts.l forgot all about it till today when l pulled her out for the first ride of the season. Its'.still sticking.lt doesnt stick if l push up & in.l wondered if anyone has had the same problem and is there an easy fix. The part cost at the dealer is probably outrageous but probably cheaper than a new starter. Maybe Ill take it apart & see whats goin on in there...Thanks

·
Registered
22 Posts
Mine sticks aswell, i seem to have gotten into a bit of a habbit of flicking it out a few times after start up.. it doesn't visibly stay stuck in however. it still releases itself (assumingly) most the way back out.. ill only ever know when i pull the clutch in and it just turns over on its own

·
Registered
138 Posts
in the short term probably, but what i suggested is a electrical contact cleaner and lubricant. WD40 is ok but not a lubricant.
Interesting this thread has come up now. I have just had a problem (yesterday) with my underfloor heating and the engineer found that a temperature control valve was stuck. He used Swafega Duck Oil to free it off and said it was far better than WD40 (or anything else in his opinion). He said it is a much better penetrating oil and displaces water as well as lubricating. Also good for damp starts in the winter. I'm going to get a tin and try it.

https://www.bunzlchs.com/medias/sys_master/root/h95/h33/8802968174622/039031-2.pdf

Steve

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks guys! I already tried plain WD40...no help. Ill try a contact cleaner/lubricant next. Duck oil?
Interesting...lm open to all ideas.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts