Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
"Just in case" I am making a set of jumper cables. I have found a few sites that give instructions. One mentions the use of a cigarette lighter connection in the cables so you can jump a bike off a car cigarette outlet. This got me thinking. I have a battery tender cord wired to my battery. Napa has the same two pin connectors. I would like to be able to use the battery tender cord so I don't have to take the seat off in the event of a dead battery. The battery tender cord has a 7.5amp fuse in it. How many amps does the starter draw?

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks. I thought it was much higher than the 7.5amp fuse, but wanted to make sure. I guess I will stick with the need to remove the seat if I ever need to jump the bike. I guess if I need to jump start it, I deserve the aggravation of taking the seat off.:)

·
Registered
554 Posts
There's a reason jumper cables are so thick, pulls a sh**load of amps through them.
Pulling that from a cigarette outlet sounds like a no-go to me and that it would blow the fuse in an instant if you tried to use it to start another engine.
Pulling enough to charge another battery though should be doable but not recommended.

·
Premium Member
8,211 Posts
Jumper cables are made in guages and yeah, even a 4 guage, the smallest of automotive jumpers can handle about 200 amps (not much more though).

CLB or Decosse actually did a starter draw test on a Sprint and OnD is bang on. It was 85 amps but that would be in prime conditions but yeah it will easily draw up to 100.

·
Registered
288 Posts
Just to put things in perspective, 85 - 100 A sounds like a lot, but at automotive voltages it's only around 1 - 1.2 kilowatts, or somewhere in the neighborhood of 1.5 horsepower.

So, your engine produces 100+ hp but is started by a little 1.5 hp electric motor!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts