Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I finished the farkling today. I installed the GPS mount, pulled the wiring in for the GPS power and sound, pulled the wire in for the push to talk button on the handlebars and mounted the Autocom. I also wired in the heat controller for my Gerbing heated gear. The only thing left to do is wire up the headset to my helmet and I have decided I need a new helmet, so I will wait on that. With the Autocom I can plug in the GPS, FRS radio, cell phone and the rider to rider communication. I can also plug in my ipod. Now I need the road ice to melt so I can take this thing out for a ride. It is not looking promising for the next week or so.
MikeB
Burney CA
05 Lucifer Orange Tiger

·
Registered
2,240 Posts
Hi Mike,

I like that American word "farkled" :)

Sounds like you've got your Tiger just the way you like it, and that's what it's all about - boys and their toys :D

·
Premium Member
24,199 Posts
Welcome to TRATnet, Mike. We've visited elsewhere. Glad your tiger is smiling! Throw some pics up when you get a chance!

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Here are some pictures of todays work.
This photo shows where I mounted the Autocom unit. It is velcro'd to the frame.

This shows the push to talk switch and button mounted on the left side handlebar, just below the GPS. The GPS sound plays back through the Autocom.

My FRS radio and where it hangs. Also my Gerbing heat controller.

This is pretty much it for farkle on this bike.

MikeB
Burney, CA

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Welcome to TRATnet, Mike. We've visited elsewhere. Glad your tiger is smiling! Throw some pics up when you get a chance!
You've got it Randal. Hey, any snow on the ground out there where you are?

MikeB

·
Registered
2,240 Posts
That's a long stretch for the PPT switch - You must have the longest thumb in the world :rolleyes:

I made a bracket for mine, it's just underneath the horn and easy to get to without taking your hands off the handlebar. You can also wire them to your headlight flash switch, but this means you lose your headlight flash. Each to their own I suppose :)

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I think I can place them behind the side cover and just bring over a tail long enough to connect.

·
Premium Member
24,199 Posts
You've got it Randal. Hey, any snow on the ground out there where you are?

MikeB
6" down from 1'. I was putting up chain link fence today in the sunshine wearing a tee (and the rest of my clothing too, ya perverts...:D). Snow melts fast when the sun's out.

Bike looks awesome Mike!

·
Registered
190 Posts
That's almost the same set up as i have, only i put the Autocom behind the front fairing (have you tried putting your seat back yet?) :)

The GPS and the Autocom are wired to the heated grip switch with hardly any run of wires. The PTT is no problem as it is switchable between VOX and PTT and i clip the radio to the dash. The Ipod/mobile just plug into a 3.5/2.5 jack...

No visible wires (apart from my headset lead), nothing under the seat and no tankbag etc.

It's a great set up MikeB - especially for long tours!

Good luck and roll on Summer...

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
The GPS and the Autocom are wired to the heated grip switch with hardly any run of wires. The PTT is no problem as it is switchable between VOX and PTT and i clip the radio to the dash. The Ipod/mobile just plug into a 3.5/2.5 jack...
I thought about mounting it behind the front fairing, but I like the com lead to be as long as possible and that required me to locate it under the seat. Yes the seat fits just fine, I had the same arrangement on my first 05 Tiger. With my set up, I can stand on the foot pegs while plugged in to the Autocom. How does it work with the Auotcom up front?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts