Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
890 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For those of us putting up with a long winter I was wondering if you recommend starting your bike every so often during the winter or do you just let it sit till spring.

·
Registered
255 Posts
I recommend riding it during the winter.
If that is not possible then I do start them every so often but I don't know that its the best thing to do. When I do it I let the bike run for quite a while, until its pretty warm, otherwise I'm not sure you're risking more damage than good.

·
Registered
2,243 Posts
Hi Breezer,

I recommend starting it up at least once a week, and if possible give it a ride for a few miles.

Technically, I'm not sure why but it just feels right :confused:

Keep the battery charged as well.

·
Registered
336 Posts
I used to follow the "book" and "properly" winterize my bikes every year. Now, I simply remove the battery and keep it covered up. Every month or so I pop the battery in and fire it up. I do ensure that the engine is completely warmed-up (wait for fan to kick in) before shutting down.

As for riding it... its minus 30 here!

The only thing I suggest is fresh oil prior to storage. Old oil is full of contaminants and is very acidic... I can't see that being too good for the internals.

Once every month or month-in-a-half I put my battery on a 1 AMP trickle charger for 4 to 5 hours. Never had a batter failure, ever.

·
Registered
890 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
WELL FOR ME RIDING IN THE WINTER IS NOT AN OPTION, i KNOW I'M A SOFTY, BUT AS I type this it is pouring down snow and is 20 degrees F out side. I'm sold on battery chargers,I have two deltran battery tenders--one for my bike and one for my wifes bike. Last bike I had--A suzuki intruder 1400Was six years old and had 32,000 miles on her and still had the original battery in it. As far as starting it in the winter I did this with all my other bikes but this is the first triple I have ever owned and I was curious as to what other triple owners do. My local mechanic seems to feel that starting it every 10 days or so is not a bad thing to do as it keeps the internals lubed up. As long as you run it long enough to get it up to operating temp. He also said if you don't start it during the winter it would not really do any harm either.
I think I will continue to start it now and then. Thanks for your input. Now if I could just talk somebody into coming over and shoveling my driveway.......

·
Premium Member
2,434 Posts
Breezer, I'll come and shovel your driveway, anything to get out of the 38deg C we have here today. Just send me the airfare and your address..... :D

If you do start your bike, the heating of the oil will cause condensation in the crankcases, and unless the engine is properly run, and revved this doesn't always dissipate completely and can cause corrosion inside the engine. Minimal though it may be. It also causes the oil to become water contaminated, the blow by from the combustion chamber contains water, and usually the breathing system will remove this as steam mixed with the induction gases on the next cycle and eventually it's exhausted. This process will only happen when the engine is run up to full temp for a period. Idling in the garage for 15 minutes isn't going to do it.

Luckily, we can ride all year so this is a moot point for me. :D

Mick :cool:

·
Registered
255 Posts
WELL FOR ME RIDING IN THE WINTER IS NOT AN OPTION, i KNOW I'M A SOFTY, BUT AS I type this it is pouring down snow and is 20 degrees F out side. ...
And I thought Ohio people were made of stronger stuff. Maybe you need to invest in one of these to convert the tiger.

Attachments

·
Registered
890 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Miker, To late, I already shoveled it myself.

38c--If I added everything up right thats 100.4 degrees F Thats hot! Be sure to drink plenty of sun sreen before you go cruising:D

Ride safe and enjoy your nice weather.:icon_drink:

·
Premium Member
2,434 Posts
Miker, To late, I already shoveled it myself.

38c--If I added everything up right thats 100.4 degrees F Thats hot! Be sure to drink plenty of sun sreen before you go cruising:D

Ride safe and enjoy your nice weather.:icon_drink:
Damn! Too late as usual.

38 isn't too bad, I've been in hotter. Egypt in September was 48 C or 114 F. That's hot.

Off for a weekend jaunt over the mountains and far away. Two days, two mates, two tigers......

Mick :cool:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts