Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi everyone have a sprint st 955i 2000 model keeps stalling at normal running temp. surges on trailing throttle , runs fine as soon as you put the power on. i can stop stalling if i catch it on the throttle had stepper motor resset twice in the last 6 weeks by main triumph dealer where i bought bike from but still stalling . they said they couldnt find a problem but i have asked them to check valve settings and reset stepper . bike now back at dealer to have another look but if anyone has had similer prob and found a solution please let me know. thanks john.

·
Premium Member
24,384 Posts
Welcome

Hi and welcome to the forum jonnyboggitt:)

I am no tech expert but that sounds like a stepper motor sticking issue to me.

Don and I ask all our noobs to please read our forum stickies, so thanks in advance:)

DaveM:cool:

·
Premium Member
8,211 Posts
Well since from what you are describing sounds like a throttle off problem I would check out your idle air control valve first then possible throttle position sensor.

Does it stall when you come down to idle? the IAC can be cleaned because the piston gets dirty but they can fail.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks to all of you who took the time to reply to me , bike in garage at mo , will let you know the outcome. but i tend to agree with your thoughts on the problem. sorry for replying to all with one thread but dont use computer much hope to get the hang of replying to all individualy soon. cheers john. ps it does stall when dropping down to idle.

·
Premium Member
8,211 Posts
Johnny, I am still thinking IAC if it stalls when it drops. The Iac is supposed to kick in and keep that throttle open at the specified rpms.

Just make sure its clean but could really need to just be replaced.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
big thanks to everyone who replied to my problem, which im happy to say has now been cured.!!! dealer discovered after lots of headscratching and phone calls to triumph it was none of the obvious things that we all suspected, so they pulled of the throttle bodies to check everything there only to find ........... the gasket had fallen apart new gasket has solved the problem, thank heavens for service warrenties. bike running fine now. thanks again john. :)

·
Registered
357 Posts
As a side note there are bots that mine the internet for emails like your user name. Change that user name ASAP or you'll be getting junk mail from every source out there. On the other hand if that is the email of a guy you don't like then touche!

·
Banned
918 Posts
big thanks to everyone who replied to my problem, which im happy to say has now been cured.!!! dealer discovered after lots of headscratching and phone calls to triumph it was none of the obvious things that we all suspected, so they pulled of the throttle bodies to check everything there only to find ........... the gasket had fallen apart new gasket has solved the problem, thank heavens for service warrenties. bike running fine now. thanks again john. :)
Wow. What kind of service warranty do you have if you don't mind my asking.

·
Premium Member
8,211 Posts
A gasket, wow. I never would of thought of that although it makes pretty logical sense. Glad you are on the road again with a well running machine!

·
Super Moderator
22,109 Posts
A gasket, wow. ....
That's the third TB gasket I've seen referenced in the last couple of weeks - something to start looking for with idling issues!
Another member had mentioned that the bolts holding on the TB's were 'cheese' and easily stretched and would be good idea to replace with better screws for re-assembly. I have seen a few reports on T595 for TB gasket issues also.

·
Premium Member
9,047 Posts
Took a look at some pics of mine and they are Torx. Since there are various flavors of Torx, these might not be the best grade available, but they can withstand the specified torque. I am leaning more toward suspecting gasket shrinkage over time.

·
Premium Member
8,211 Posts
You know in the auto world, GM is plagued with this problem and I have seen literally hundreds of intake gaskets and intakes themselves replaced for exactly this reason so I am surprised that I didn't put the two together.

It makes total sense.

·
Premium Member
8,211 Posts
Yes, I was going to post that but didn't want people to start doing that in excess. Just a little works. That is how we tested them on the GM's.

Little spray around the area where the 2 parts meet and revs go up if you got a leak.

·
Premium Member
9,047 Posts
Well I've been spraying my TBs with WD40 for thirty years and never had a ..........oops. Wrong thread.:eek::p

·
Premium Member
24,384 Posts
Me too Calli I would post that as well but I had to wait for someone else to post it first so I actually knew about it!:D

MR OND please post in the correct forum sir!:FunnyFace:

DaveM:3dcool:

·
Premium Member
9,047 Posts
See....I always knew this was not the correct forum.;)

Anyway, I threw in the WD40 thing as a joke to head off anyone that thinks it would work for this test. They changed the propellant. That is also why the wasps feel safer.

Most shops use propane. They just stick a hose on the torch end and direct the gas at the TB base and plate pin. I was hesitant to mention that for fear that someone would try it and lose their eyebrows. But, I changed my mind. :D

1 - 20 of 21 Posts