Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, forum newbie but long term reader -- will be very appreciative if someone could please offer some advice :)

My 09 D675 developed a no-start fault the other day which I traced to a dead CPS, the stator looked in pretty bad shape too when it was replaced. It now starts up but will intermittently be very reluctant to fire. When it does, I get a lovely cloud of octane-rich smoke.

As the engine heats up, it becomes more and more prone to stalling when decelerating. E.g. approaching lights, on light breaking the tacho will suddenly and rapidly dip and result in a stall, even if the clutch is fully pulled in. This gets worse as the engine gets hotter; to the point that if you leave it idling in neutral then blip the throttle, it will stall out.

It's then quite hard to restart, usually it needs to be left until cool then cranked quite aggressively. I've double and triple checked stator/cps connectors, air/vacuum and fuel lines (everything I touched when doing the stator, essentially) but am undecided how to proceed -- bad coil/bad O2 sensor/valves need adjusting, possibly? I have a tiny crack in an exhaust header (next thing on my list to do) but I can't believe this would be the cause.

Has anyone else experienced this? Will be very appreciative if someone can shed some light or indicate the most fruitful thing to look at first :) Thanks!

·
Super Moderator
8,920 Posts
My guess is a soon to be toasted R/R which is taking your stator along with it. When the stator fries, it damages the R/R, which then takes down the new stator.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the reply, Will.

Battery appears to be holding a charge OK and I don't experience normal low power symptoms when it drops out (dim lights, frozen instruments etc.) -- would we expect to see such things with a buster R/R?

·
Super Moderator
8,920 Posts
You would expect that, but it doesn't always happen.

Some other things to check - throttle position sensor, mass air sensor, vacuum lines

I had the tps go bad on my bike, and it was nearly unrideable due to how unpredictable the throttle response was. It had a hard time starting and would stall sometimes.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hmm.. R/R functioning like a champ, vacuums are all present/unkinked. Haven't checked 2ndary air injection yet although the valve seems to be functioning.

Unfortunately the bike won't start at all anymore so can't check the MAP the easy way with software :( It has power and no error codes so I assume the sensor is working.

TPS seemed fine with tuneECU (showing the full range of movement from 0-100%) and I reset adaptation, to no avail. TPS does seem like the most likely candidate though.. will pull the spark plugs tomorrow and also get a voltmeter directly onto the sensor. Failing that, possibly it's time to take the throttle bodies off and look at the idle adjust thingy/valves?

Will update with progress in case anyone else experiences similar nonsense!

·
Super Moderator
8,920 Posts
It turns over just fine? Then I suspect a really screwed up TPS as much as anything. Unless you have a fuel system clog somewhere.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Aha I think we have a solution: noticed when running tuneECU that the idle control stepper motor was making some pathetic intermittent whines with the ignition on. Ran the ICSM diagnostic tool and couldn't quite adjust it to 0.6, although it went out to 0.72. It was making the most horrific sounds when doing this.

Will have the throttle bodies off, do a resistance check across the terminals and check TPS whilst I'm there then replace either if necessary.

Thanks for pointing me in the right direction, Will :)

·
Super Moderator
8,920 Posts
I don't think I did point you in the right direction, but a stepper motor problem will dump excess fuel into your motor as well. Thanks for letting us know what you found. It may be a big help for somebody in the future if that's really the problem.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts