Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been having an issue for the last month or so with stalling when coming to a stop. It's not repeatable, but occasionally when coming to a stop, in 1st, clutch in, the bike will stall right at the stopping point. It starts back up immediately.

Clutch cable slack is correct (first thing I checked), I couldn't think of anything else that might be causing this. Possibly the idle speed is slightly low? Maybe the throttle bodies need balancing?

·
Registered
297 Posts
I have the same problem. My bike only stops at a ramp at work. I thought it could be the magnetic field interfering with ECU. It's the only place it ever stalls.

First gear coming in fast, and braking at the gate.. and bam.. bike shuts off.. Went to Triumph dealer, and they never heard of this before. So in with new plugs and air filter, and problem is still here. I am going to sync my TB, and check valve clearance next. This probably won't have to do anything with this.

How do you adjust idle anyway?

·
Premium Member
9,047 Posts
Throttle body balance.
Throttle position sensor.
Idle speed control stepper.

In that order, after first adjusting the throttle cable.
Then report back with results.

Just curious, is your scheduled maintenance up to date?

·
Premium Member
8,211 Posts
Could be two things - IAC motor is dirty and not kicking in properly to take over idle when you drop the throttle or the throttle position sensor is not properly set.

When you take your hand off the throttle the IAC motor/valve takes over and a little plunger kicks out and maintains idle. If that actuator is dirty or sticking then it won't kick out in time and you will stall.

I am sure the wiser ones than me will chime in here.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Throttle body balance.

I bought the bike salvage at 17k, it has about 22k on it now, and the only things that have been done to it are tires, battery, plugs, and a new sprague clutch - I have no idea what the previous owner did to it, or even who the previous owner was since I bought it from some guy who buys tons of bikes at auction.

Also, I've been trying to find the link to that really nice carb synch tool that is UK made - I'm pretty sure I saw it on here but I haven't had any luck finding it.

·
Registered
297 Posts
Could be two things - IAC motor is dirty and not kicking in properly to take over idle when you drop the throttle or the throttle position sensor is not properly set.

When you take your hand off the throttle the IAC motor/valve takes over and a little plunger kicks out and maintains idle. If that actuator is dirty or sticking then it won't kick out in time and you will stall.

I am sure the wiser ones than me will chime in here.
How do you clean that thingamajig.

·
Premium Member
8,211 Posts
unbolt it and unplug it. Use a little contact cleaner and spray it down. Make sure the little shaft isn't gummy or dirty.

·
Registered
523 Posts
My bike did a similar thing before my side stand switch failed. If the switch is a bit loose it can be jarred just right to stall at stopping. Just another thing to check in the list.

·
Premium Member
8,211 Posts
go to bike bandit or get a shop manual. Hard to describe where it is located. I think if you look at the manometer thread CLB points it out in one of the pictures.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
go to bike bandit or get a shop manual. Hard to describe where it is located. I think if you look at the manometer thread CLB points it out in one of the pictures.
What is this thing called in the manual? I'm trying to find it on Bike Bandit but there's nothing called "IAC" in the parts list (at least as far as I can tell).

·
Registered
13 Posts
Might it be this one?

Also I've heard something about a problem when there is oil in the airbox. Please look at this picture and tell me if this is it and what that problem was.

I can definitely see a thin film of oil and even a small amount of goo in the corner. Where is this coming from?

Edit: Found some info after searching (dooh) and since the previos owner dropped the bike (at least thats what i'm guessing from the look of the right fairing) i'll just try to clean the airbox and the IAC-valve. It never leaks oil from the hose so it can be leftovers from when the bike fell.

·
Super Moderator
22,107 Posts
Might it be this one?...
Looks like you have too many Throttle bodies for a Sprint, Trixter.

That would indeed be the air control valve on your particular model
(TT600 maybe?) and on the pre-05 Triple Motors.

Not sure whether dropping that model has same effect as the early Gen 1 triples - you'd be best to validate on the SuperSport forum
Although worth just taking a look in your airbox anyway.

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
Have these items been checked yet?

If not, have them checked. Your issue is probably among them. Have the stepper lift adjusted to the high end of the +0.15 Volt range.
Cleaning the stepper will probably do more harm than good, washing lube out and schmutz in.

If they *have* been checked, all are ok and you still have a problem...
Give the hex fitting on the end of the idle shaft 1/6 to 1/4 turn counter clockwise. This will raise the throttle for the neutral position of the stepper. Idle speed will float a little higher during the response time of the ECU/stepper.

Throttle body balance.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Looks like you have too many Throttle bodies for a Sprint, Trixter.

That would indeed be the air control valve on your particular model
(TT600 maybe?) and on the pre-05 Triple Motors.

Not sure whether dropping that model has same effect as the early Gen 1 triples - you'd be best to validate on the SuperSport forum
Although worth just taking a look in your airbox anyway.
*LOL* Realized that after posting :eek: but I thougth the IAC should look similar to mine (and yes it's a TT600:D).

Hope the pics helps someone though!

·
Registered
37 Posts
Smoothbrian,

Did you ever figure out the issue with your sprint's? I'm having a similiar issue with mine after the 24k services.

Brandon

·
Registered
48 Posts
Same Issue with Stalling

Hi,

Had the same issue with stalling. Since its not a repeatable problem its hard to diagnose.

Here what I've had done so far.

Took the bike to a dyno to make sure the engine is running true and there is no lean/rich mixture issues.

Bikes pulling 114hp at the rear wheel with max torque @ 71(ft-lbs). Steady curves up through the power range and spot on the air/fuel mixture....so no engine issues.

Took it in for a service and got them to look over the issue. I must say that Peter Stephens in Adelaide were great and the mechanic went right over the bike.

They changed the air filter, checked the electrical system, adjusted the throttle balance, reset the idle control motor and did the basics, such as adjust the throttle linkages, cables and general service.

Seems to be running extremely well, noticeable difference. However, only time will tell if its fixed the stalling issue.

One thing I did notice about when it stalled, seemed to be on the colder, wetter days...so don't know if that is the same as what you guyz are experiencing.

Good luck.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts