Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sorry for another exhaust post but it's a costly investment for me and I'm wondering if anyone could please enlighten me about the Staintunes?

I'm on the verge of buying some and am wondering what the general opinion of them is, and do I have to do some tricky dicky rejetting?

(I considered the D&Ds but they seem a little too loud for me; the Thunderbikes are not much cheaper and bestow less power without the life-time warranty; all the other brands for much the same reason)

Thank you muchly

·
Registered
913 Posts
I've never heard a bad thing said about Staintunes (other than they are expensive). It's very common to re-jet but isn't necessary. I haven't and the bike works great.

Welcome to the family! :cool:

·
Registered
2,472 Posts
Australian 'Staintune' may well be one of the best quality systems out there..... for ANY bike they are made for. If I'm not mistaken, I think I've heard that a Staintune for the the Bonnie can be had with the option of a removable baffle. I LIKE that feature!

And I may be going out on a limb here, but I've recently concluded that it might be possible to do a 'quick & easy' when addressing your air/fuel with the addition of an after-market exhaust (*on pre-Thruxton needle equipped Bonnies):

I think it's possible that if all that you're doing is adding one of the quieter after-market cans (not to include the TOR), a simple replacement of the factory needle with a Thruxton needle.... and replacing the factory air filter with a K&N element may get you close to a good air/fuel ratio. That is to say, not having to bother with the main jet......

(Could I have read that Triumph has been putting the "Thruxton needle" in all the new 2006 or 2007 T100's?)

·
Registered
358 Posts
According to the online fiche at Bike Bandit Dot Com, the Thruxton Jet Needle is part #5567073-001.

That is also the part # for Bonneville and T100 ENG NO 211133 AND HIGHER.

Unfortunately, the part # for the Scrambler Jet Needle is AWOL...

·
Registered
4,724 Posts
Good Day DrPangloss,

I absolutely LOVE my reverse cone Staintunes!!! Not even the same bike anymore, w/ them installed (and re-jetted).

Cheers,
Phil

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
That's all good info - thanks so much!

Unfortunately the reverse cones don't have a removable baffle.

However I do have the 06 T100, so if it's true about the Thrux needle being in them then that's awesome.

Does that mean I should do nothing after installing them though?

Or just buy the K&N filter?

·
Registered
679 Posts
I've got the tear drops on mine with removable restrictor removed ie fairly loud. A mate of mine has a 06 T100 with reverse cones. As far as volume is concerned the RCs are in beteween mine with restrictor in/out.
The note is similar but the RCs sound more like it coming out of a pipe. A bit like the Contis on an earlier duke.
I don't think the comparison is fair until you try pipes on the same bike. Gary's still has airbox and is 900 while mine has no airbox and is 790.
I have a new new UNI filter going cheap if you are interested.

·
Registered
2,472 Posts
DrPangloss,
No..... doesn't mean you can leave 'em alone. It was the difference in how lean the old fashion standard Bonnie needle was that allowed the Thruxton needle to result in a richer ratio.
-------------------------------------
DickB,
GT900S w/Conti's...... like in this pic' of me (w/my disco hairdo)?

[ This message was edited by: FattRat on 2006-11-30 17:06 ]

·
Registered
679 Posts
Pat,
That's the ones. I had a red and white 78 Darmah. And hair a bit like that too.That thing sounded great. It had big cams and carbies on. It went pretty good too.

DrPangloss you don't need to be scared of rejetting. Nothing to it.

Darcy

·
Registered
114 Posts
On 2006-11-30 12:20, road_dog wrote:
Good Day DrPangloss,

I absolutely LOVE my reverse cone Staintunes!!! Not even the same bike anymore, w/ them installed (and re-jetted).

Cheers,
Phil
I couldnt have put it better myself. Like a different bike. I know Staintune say that rejetting isnt required but my dealer did it anyways and my bike runs like a dream. I have the AI removed but stock airbox.

[ This message was edited by: Strontium on 2006-11-30 22:19 ]

·
Registered
141 Posts
I've just ordered mine. They told me they'd be about a fortnight - I just know I'm gonna love these pipes. Have had Staintunes on a couple of bikes now and I never cease to be amazed at the quality of the things.

Cheers,

Russ

·
Registered
49 Posts
G'day DrPangloss..

...Staintunes...just a beautiful set of pipes...Immaculately made and sound just like a Trump should...they are also the only lot who give you a db rating...92 with the baffles in and 94 with them out....the 92 is just fine ...
...as mentioned Staintune say there is no need to rejet as a matter of course but us tweakers invariably do..
...I have put in 120 mains and a freeflow K&N filter...ditched the AI system but at this stage have kept the snorkel in as removal made no perceptable difference...when I have a few more k's on I'll run it on a Dyno a try it out ....am currently on just a tad over 2 1/4 turns on the air mixture screws...get just a touch of poping on overrun ( indicates verging on too lean)...but plugs running very clean as is the top of the pistons....at 3 turns I was fouling up something dreadful....

...as the trusty DickBender says it really is no big deal to fiddle with all this stuff yourself....BUT...do yourself a big favour and buy a Haynes manual...one of the best few bob you will ever spend on your bike.. if you take the carbs off to change the pilots ( you can do 'em without taking the carbs off)..but I did cause I like pulling the girl apart)...TIP...you only have to take out the four bolts in where the battery sits which will enable you to move the air box back a little so you can wriggle the carbs off...I think Mr Haynes talks about loosening the rear fender but this ain't needed...
..taking the carbs off also makes it a hell of a lot easier to remove those pesky soft headed phillip headed nuts that hold the float bowls on, that you will need to remove... do yourself a big favour and replace those nuts with the newbonneville stainless steel ones....

.....so Staintunes....love 'em ..and I swear I could feel the extra 9hp they say they deliver....or maybe I have just made up my mind a dont want to confused by the facts...

.....PS...I also looked at Madaz pipes but when really pressed
to give a db rating they said somewhere around 104...??!!
...the legal limit is 94...so there you go...

.....go for 'em ...it'll be a whole new sensation...

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Hey Skud... thanks for all that info.

I had a look on their website and got some answers:

"Re-jetting or chipping is not needed with STAINTUNE exhausts. In most cases, you could actually re-jet or chip your bike with the stock pipes and find an increased result. How is this possible? It's due to the governmental restrictions placed on bike manufacturers to make the bike legal for sale in the U.S. market. If the manufacturers could cut lose and do anything they wanted, the jetting would already be spot on. "

http://www.staintune.com.au/exhausts/triumph/Triumph Bonneville Reverse Cone.htm

At any rate I DID ORDER ME A SET TODAY

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
These are the ones I put on order.

They didn't have any in stock right now but they are in production at the moment, so they said about a week or two...

I can hardly wait. I hate the standard exhaust sound - or lack of.

I had staintune once on my KLR but the bike was so boring anyway an exhaust hardly made much difference. I had a Yoshi on my R1 and was bloody awesome!

I always knew the staintunes would be the best choice but I guess I just needed a nudge to go ahead and spend the money.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Go Doc...

you done real good....the one advantage of the reverse cones is that you can remove the back axle without having to take the pipes off....

.....first stage in the whole hog to the Cafe look...??

whereabouts in Oz are you..anywhere near Ballina ..Northern NSW...always nice to chew the fat with fellow enthusiasts...

cheers

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Hey skud,
yep, moving as far away from the hog/cruiser look as I can - always been a fan of the Kaff Racer. I had a Honda 400/4 once which was the ideal cafe bike but it was a real piece of ***** and i sold it to a collector who said he didn't care if it went it was only going to sit in the garage with 30 others anyway - I said 'this is the bike for you then' :wink:

And I'm in the Hunter Valley. I'm from Sydney but I moved up here to build a motorcycle cafe...
Lovin' it!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts