Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 4 of 4 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Having relentlessly searched and read all posts relating to corrosion I was unable to find answers to my questions.
I have to say that some of the issues I post here is, to some degree, my own fault but.......I used the Thrux for 4 dry days in the UK winter on dry but previously salted roads.
That being said I had given the bolts, nuts and oil cooler unions a spray with WD40 (it's all I had ) before I went out. Now at 300 miles only (not even run in yet) and a wipe down after each time out out, after just 4 days in the garage since the last outing those front facing oil pipes, unions and clutch cable bracketry have lost the plating or at a minimum become very black pitted....very disheartening and a posssible warranty issue.
My longer term solution will be to replace the parts with SS ones so my questions are:-
Has anyone made a succesfull warranty claim on corrosion or plating issues, typically what were the extent of the defects.
Has anyone made the change to bespoke SS fittings for the vulnerable parts, if so who? websites?.
And lastly, is there a general opinion that the quality of the plating is generally of poorer quality that that of the original (Meriden, Smallheath (BSA) and Norton finishes of the bygone days, or is it just the difference in durability of zinc to nickel from attack by the salt used these days on our roads.
Or could it be the dry salt has reacted with the damp WD40 and damp evening air.
Roll on those summer evenings............

Watch out for volvos this time of year....they' re lethal
Regards
Ian F

·
Registered
1,787 Posts
Much of the plating back when was the very toxic cadmium. Frosted cad has he ability to "heal" when dinged. You can still have aircraft parts frosted cad plated, but it's pretty expensive, compared to zinc. The last company I knew of was an aircraft plating company in Arizona.

·
Premium Member
3,646 Posts
you wont get anywhere with a warranty claim on salt induced corrosion (others before you have tried and failed) . BTW WD40 can actually make things worse.

·
Registered
90 Posts
i know this is going to sound crazy but this is supposed to happen! working for a h-d dealer for the past ten years we've been advised by tech support that this is proper. the corrosion actually is anothe barrier against true corrosion if you notice it will come of pretty easy, but if you keep doing this eventually you will get a rusty bolt from the treatment having to repeat the cycle>

1 - 4 of 4 Posts