Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
404 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm toying with the idea of purchasing a stainless steel micronic oil filter from either Scott's or the PC Racing FLO type. They both look similar if not identical - tech specs are identical from what I read. There's also another from K & P which is similar too.
The PC Racing type I can get for $90 whereas the other 2 are around $140.

Does anyone have experience of any of these filters? Any recommendations or reasons why not to go with this type?

Thanks in advance for any info

Steve

·
Premium Member
1,908 Posts
Well, why, I guess? The paper filters do an excellent job of filtering (just don't buy crap). The fancy filter needs to be cleaned, which would be a PITA in my book. What's the payback?

·
Registered
404 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well, why, I guess? The paper filters do an excellent job of filtering (just don't buy crap). The fancy filter needs to be cleaned, which would be a PITA in my book. What's the payback?
Why? After reading a few other forums etc there are some good reasons;
a) You'll never have to buy another one (and saves the landfills for the treehuggers!:D)
b) the filtration is arguably better and more consistent than paper filters (35 microns or 0.00004")
c) better oil flow particularly at low start up temps so that with this type the by-pass valve is never used (which is not the case with paper filter, thereby allowing some larger particles into the engine)
d) it has cooling fins - extra oil cooling is always welcome.
e) allows you to inspect any of the debris floating around in your engine - this might allow you to avoid something catastrophic - provided you catch it quick enough.

Is that all enough to justify $90? It's the equivalent of say 6 oil filters - That's why I'm throwing the question out there.

·
Registered
404 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Scott ya ya ya ya !:elated: Me got one, it looks great, fits great and is reusuable with much better filtration. Pricey yes but me really likey my bike allot!:D

Cheers

Jeff:motorbike2:
haha! I'll take that as a YES then!:D
But in your expert opinion, what would be the difference between the Scott & the FLO filters? - they're both welded, both the same materials and both the same size filtration but one is $140 & the other is $90 - and from the photos I can't see the difference!

·
Registered
404 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Powerful Neodymium Magnets at the bottom trap metal particals in the filter! I don't believe the FLO filter have them. The Scott is one solid billet piece of aluminum!

Cheers
Apparently it has magnetic pre-filtering so I guess it has the magnet at the top & not the bottom? So for $50 less (or approx the price of one oil change with Mobil1 4T Racing Oil - depending where you get it!) the FLO filter might just swing it!
And Mr Skull Crusher, I have to ask - what is that awesome bike in the pic?
Cheers
Steve

·
Banned
2,757 Posts
It's similar but has the addition of a Spondon frame, different steering geometry, lighter than the original and different engine configuration. It's presently rated at 170 hp but is capable of around 200 hp and all out of a motor that is slightly bigger than 588cc.

go to http://nortonracing.com/road/and you can read more about the bike.

Cheers

·
Registered
2,361 Posts
I have 38,000 miles on my Thruxton - all done with a Scott filter which replaced the factory one at the 500 service. It's easy to clean and take apart, I use spray carb cleaner and then rinse under a hot water spray and dry and assemble. It's finned, solid billet, which may help a little with cooling. I give it a thumbs up, we pulled the cylinders during some engine performance work and only measured 1/10,000 wear in the center of the sleeves and nothing on the top or bottom. You can still see the cross hatching on the cylinders.

·
Registered
10,212 Posts

·
Registered
404 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I have no personal interest in this discussion, but here's a contrary opinion on the "permanent" oil filter (scroll about halfway down the page):

http://motorcycleinfo.calsci.com/Filters.html#OilFilters
Point taken Balto, but in his comments he says "...I don't think this technology is ready to use yet..."

If so, why are they used in NASCAR, Indy car , Formula 1 and aerospace applications? All these are at the very forefront of technology, and as an Aero engineer myself, I'm 100% sure they wouldn't use them if they that poor in performance! I know how much testing goes on in the aero industry.

But I forgot, you're not interested...:D

·
Registered
10,212 Posts
I didn't know that, but I'm happy with Purolator Pure 1, and I don't have to clean them. :p

I'm thinking of going back to the disposable air filter too.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts