Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have searched the forum and I can't find the required size for the replacement bolts on my carbs. Does anyone have a list?

Thanks

·
Registered
1,065 Posts
I can't help you with the sizes, but if you go to newbonneville.com they have the entire kit for pretty cheap.

·
Registered
1,504 Posts
Take 1 of each out (float bowl and diapram cover) and take them to your local marine or hardware store.
:confused:

·
30,527 Posts
If you do that, remember that the two scrwes in the left hand float bowl that hold the idle screw adjuster knob are a bit longer than the others.

·
Premium Member
4,024 Posts

·
Registered
10,853 Posts
Correction for carburetor screw sizes

Disregard my previous post above. Here are the correct sizes.

All are
M4.

8 x 8mm (tops)
6 x 14mm (bottoms)
2 x 16mm (left side, bottom rear, where bracket attaches)

(Sorry for bringing this back, but I just found this old thread and might as well set it right.)

Edit: Looks like Prop deleted my erroneous post. Thanks!

·
30,527 Posts
Thanks for the update, I removed the previous post to avoid confusion.

By the way folks - the two 16mm long screws for the choke bracket are essential, if you use 14mm long screws in that position you can easily strip them out.

·
Registered
2,741 Posts
Thanks for the update, I removed the previous post to avoid confusion.

By the way folks - the two 16mm long screws for the choke bracket are essential, if you use 14mm long screws in that position you can easily strip them out.

That is simply not true with socket head screws on CVK carbs, unless one insists on using washers (which are not necessary anyhow); 14mm screws will make full thread contact with the bracket & no washers. No need to complicate things. It is OK to use 14mm screws all 'round. However, if one wishes to mix & max screw lengths, be my guest...;)

·
Registered
10,853 Posts
That is simply not true with socket head screws on CVK carbs, unless one insists on using washers (which are not necessary anyhow); 14mm screws will make full thread contact with the bracket & no washers. No need to complicate things. It is OK to use 14mm screws all 'round. However, if one wishes to mix & max screw lengths, be my guest...;)
Tell that to the people who stripped out those two holes. Why not simplify things and use 14mm screws on the top too? Compared to the rest of the bike, this is hardly too complicated. :rolleyes:

My two 16mm screws wind up exactly flush at the ends, admittedly with lockwashers on them, which I guess are about 1mm thick, if not less. :cool:

·
Registered
2,741 Posts
I was referring to bowls, not caps, & you know it. :rolleyes:

Hey, opinions are fine, just don't pass them off as fact with dire warnings of impending doom. ;)

Which two people stripped carb bowl threads with 14mm socket heads & no washers? :eek:

·
Registered
10,853 Posts
Which two people stripped carb bowl threads with 14mm socket heads & no washers? :eek:
I read about that here on TRat, source of all knowledge. It's happened, although I'd guess that those riders were also over-tightening the screws.

Much ado about 2mm. Mine is longer than yours. :D

·
30,527 Posts
Did it myself, even though I wasn't overtightening. The threads just came out when I removed the screw one day.

I picked up a million bilion horsepower with the longer screws.

·
Registered
915 Posts
Prop - did you have to rejet for that?

·
30,527 Posts
Yes, I used 567 mains and 11 pilots, with the mixture screws 201.5 turns out. My bike runs great.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts