Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2,322 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is my 99 Legend unique? The 3 bolts for the rear brake caliper consist of two stainless (still nice and shiny) ones, and a plain steel (all rusted) one. Why didn't they use all stainless, or has someone swapped out one of mine?

·
Premium Member
3,646 Posts
Let me guess - the steel one is the one that attaches it to the torque arm - the other two to the perch?

IIRC they all come like that - the torque arm one takes almost all the reaction force of braking, the other two just hold the caliper in alignment with the disk. Most stainless has much lower strength than a bunch of the grades of regular steel - do not be tempted to swap it unless you swap to an equivalent grade of stainless (if one even exists)

This is also the reason why you shouldn't generally go swapping suspension bolts etc for stainless either.

·
Registered
2,322 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That was my suspicion. Thanks Mick for clarifying this. Probably a good reminder for others, too.

·
Premium Member
3,438 Posts
Yep, the carbon steel bolts are hardened to allow adequate torque. Stainless steel cannot be effectively hardened, so it can not be used in a high stress application. I think in the service manual there is even reference to replacing those steel bolts after a major brake service interval, such as changing the pads?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts