Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all

Was hoping for a little wisdom... my 790 runs a lovely tec tracker exhaust and I was wondering about fitting a stage one dynojet kit to make the most out of it...

I was wondering if any one had fitted one and what came in the pack? Alternatively should I just rejet with some Norman Hyde main jets (about 拢100 cheaper...)?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Registered
Do the jet thing, but do a little reading first. Check out Ventura's post, Airbox Modification, in great source of info section.

Registered
Discussion Starter #3
Do the jet thing, but do a little reading first. Check out Ventura's post, Airbox Modification, in great source of info section.

Ok thanks, I鈥檒l look into it..
I鈥檓 still interested in anyone who has done either though...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Registered
carbs

Yes I used lots of the info available Ventura is very knowledgeable.
I initially gutted the airbox baffle etc opened up the air filter opening, re jetted. There was an improvement but there is always more, right! So next was the fcr carbs with pods. This made the best improvement transformed the performance.
I would say that the fcr swap was a lot quicker and easier and price wise a lot closer. The cv work really does need some dyno time and that will cost. A few pulls and carb strip downs? The audible performance gain with cv work is immediately noticeable but tangible performance gains are harder to measure.
It is a fun exercise though would I play with the cv again probably,

Vendor
Hi PieMan

Nice one; my 790 runs a Tec free breathing tracker 2 into 1 (pictured) and has the SAI removed. The rest of the engine is stock. What do you recommend?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
We have a couple of jetting kits developed for your bike with the TEC Tracker 2-1 exhaust system, but our jetting kits were developed with induction changes as well to make sure you get the most from your mods and if these are not installed your engine would run rich.

These are the two jetting options we offer for use with a 2-1 exhaust system, Jetting Kit 4 and Jetting Kit 8.

Regards

Registered
Discussion Starter #8
We have a couple of jetting kits developed for your bike with the TEC Tracker 2-1 exhaust system, but our jetting kits were developed with induction changes as well to make sure you get the most from your mods and if these are not installed your engine would run rich.

These are the two jetting options we offer for use with a 2-1 exhaust system, Jetting Kit 4 and Jetting Kit 8.

Regards

Hi Pieman

Yep I鈥檝e fitted the breathe and DNA arrangement that your firm recommended. I鈥檓 holding off on the jetting tbh as the bike is running fantastic, it鈥檚 possible that it鈥檚 already been jetted.., I have no doubt that curiosity will lead to me fitting the no 4 kit I got with the other bits..

Registered
After fitting a ttp jet kit I then fitted an AFR and found I was way rich. I had fitted the smaller jet provided 138. Had to by quite a few jets and finally ended up at 120. I also fitted the ttp air filter as advised and it made no difference to the AFR readings with K&N filter.
Maybe try and borrow a AFR set up before spending more cash.

Jon

Registered
Hi Pieman
My typo error that's 128 .
Bosch LSU 4.9 sensor and Zeitronix zt-3 meter and gauge. As I understand it, doesn't need calibrating.

Jon

Registered
Discussion Starter #12
Jonny, are you sure that your AFR gauge was calibrated correctly? 120 mains should be way too lean for your mods.

Hey Pieman

So I鈥檓 fitting Kit 4 to my 790 next weekend, there is some confused direction with the kit. Can you give some advice as to what to try first?

Vendor
Hi Pieman
My typo error that's 128 .
Bosch LSU 4.9 sensor and Zeitronix zt-3 meter and gauge. As I understand it, doesn't need calibrating.

Jon
Hi Jon, as far as I know, all Bosch LSU 4.9 sensors need calibrating in free air before use and every so often to ensure you get accurate results. Even 128's seem lean, but to be fair using the K&N air filter will restrict the jet size required.

Registered
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
Hi Bonnie59,

what's your setup? As in exhaust and induction mods?

Ok mate, I鈥檝e removed the snorkel, fitted a DNA filter and breathe cover, SAI blanked off and a Tec tracker 2 into 1. I have your no 4 kit ready to fit.. I was also considering removing the baffle from the air box but won鈥檛 if it will mess up the fuelling...

Vendor
Ok mate, I鈥檝e removed the snorkel, fitted a DNA filter and breathe cover, SAI blanked off and a Tec tracker 2 into 1. I have your no 4 kit ready to fit.. I was also considering removing the baffle from the air box but won鈥檛 if it will mess up the fuelling...
With Jetting Kit 4 it is essential to remove the internal airbox baffle or your engine will run very rich. As you have the DNA Performance air filter and the Breathe with the TEC Tracker system, I would suggest starting with the larger of the two sets of main jets.

Registered
Discussion Starter #17
With Jetting Kit 4 it is essential to remove the internal airbox baffle or your engine will run very rich. As you have the DNA Performance air filter and the Breathe with the TEC Tracker system, I would suggest starting with the larger of the two sets of main jets.

Righto; I鈥檒l get them in on Saturday and rip the baffle out as I do it.

This is what I mean by confusing because I thought kit no 4 was for baffle in, so much appreciated mate!

I鈥檒l let you know how it goes.

I鈥檝e not taken these carbs out before so Haynes will have to tell me how. I was going to up jet with the carbs fitted but a previous keeper had chewed up the left hand float bowl screws so they need to come out...

Thanks again and I鈥檒l keep you posted!

Registered
Hi Jon, as far as I know, all Bosch LSU 4.9 sensors need calibrating in free air before use and every so often to ensure you get accurate results. Even 128's seem lean, but to be fair using the K&N air filter will restrict the jet size required.
Hi Pieman,
I contacted the supplier of my AFR and they confirmed it does not need to be calibrated.
I did change to the Uni from K&N as you advised, and as I have noted (as have others) there is no difference on the gauge reading.

Also plugs are a nice biscuit brown colour, so I'm assuming all is ok.
When I have saved up enough I'll put it on the Dyno.

Jon

Registered
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)

Hey Pieman

So I鈥檝e stuck your 130 main jets in (from 115) and one shim under the needles... I found a loose shim in the left hand needle holder and the right was shimmed; a previous keeper had also ruined the screw heads when attempting to jet the bike I think.. I鈥檝e replaced all fasteners with your stainless kit (very pretty)..

I know you said to remove the baffle but I think you may be muddled with the other kit for my set up (see photo)..

The bike really is sweet now, pulling hard to 90 and just pops a little on the over run (I quite like it..). If you say remove the baffle I will but as I say I think there may be some confusion with the other kit..

1 - 20 of 22 Posts