Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all. Just picked up a 2015 ST3 R and it may be the highest mileage ST3 on earth! It has 70,500 miles on the clock. It’s clean as a pin and has been very well maintained. Head bearings/wheel bearings changed, fluids flushed, etc. Not sure about the valves but I’m guessing service intervals were followed. You don’t get that kind of mileage on a bike this clean and sound without meticulous maintenance. It even came with a new in the box Ohlins shock, CT, timing chain and guides, sprockets and chain, etc.

Anyway I own a 2017 FZ07 too with some performance mods. I love both bikes. The FZ’s torque comes in earlier and power wheelies without effort. It’s about the same weight as the ST3 and I have an Ohlins rear shock and racetech fork springs with preload adj on it. It’s been flashed and dyno tunes. The M4 slip on sounds amazing. It’s the best sounding bike I’ve ever owned out of quite a few. Of course the Arrow on the ST3 sounds amazing too.
I love both bikes for different reasons. The grunt and pull of the low end on the FZ is fun all the time. It handles the curves quite well and I can pretty much ride it like a supermoto.
The chassis and suspension on the ST3 is the best I’ve ever ridden and the triple has great power and torque across the range. It comes in later than the FZ but stretches farther to the 12.5k redline.
If you like sporty middleweight bikes you really can’t go wrong with either one. The ST3 R is ready right out of the box and the FZ07 can be greatly improved for around $1500. On anything but a straightaway I think these bikes would come down to rider skills in terms of which is quickest.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I recently learned from a video that Dave Moss posted that the front fork spacer on the fz07 can be trimmed to improve performance. Less bouncy. YouTube videos explain it. But ha says the suspension on them are crap. I take it thays why you upgraded.

Still I think my STR is a way better bike hands down. The FZ looks and feels cheap as are the major components. Brakes and suspension are way better on STR! Once tuned and suspended properly set any half decent rider can keep with the super sports on track any day.

I have also seen issues with the swing arm rusting out on the FZ in ass soon as one year after manufacturing!

In my books STR is on a different level than FZ is.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I recently learned from a video that Dave Moss posted that the front fork spacer on the fz07 can be trimmed to improve performance. Less bouncy. YouTube videos explain it. But ha says the suspension on them are crap. I take it thays why you upgraded.

Still I think my STR is a way better bike hands down. The FZ looks and feels cheap as are the major components. Brakes and suspension are way better on STR! Once tuned and suspended properly set any half decent rider can keep with the super sports on track any day.

I have also seen issues with the swing arm rusting out on the FZ in ass soon as one year after manufacturing!

I don’t disagree that the ST is a far more premium bike than the FZ07. But the FZ is an awesome bike at its price point and has a great engine. The springs fitted to my weight and riding style along with the preload adjusters give decent feedback and eliminated brake dive. The Ohlins in the back works great. The flash and tune with the exhaust got me up to about 73 rear wheel go and about 44 on the torque. Both come in sooner in the range than the ST3. The flash and tune got rid of the nosedive at 8k rpm and stretched it to the redline.
The ST3 is definitely a better track bike and just as could a commuter but there’s not a world of difference in the 2 once you sort out the ecu and suspension on the FZ. And just personal opinion, the FZ sound is much better than the whistle and howl of the ST3, which is also very nice.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

I live in the foothills of SC US. We get very little snow and we are a long way from the coast so we don’t have much in the way of salt related rust issues. Farther north and farther east of me it’s a problem for cars and bikes. You can always tell a vehicle from up north versus one from around here. Lots more rust and pitting on the exposed mechanical parts and fasteners.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I'm in Canada so all we have is snow and salt LOL!

So down there the rust is not an issue? I day that because half of what I know of that is based on poeples experiences from states.

It was an issue with the welds and the paint covering them fro what I know. The salt is just a catalyst for the rust. Yes it will happen faster, but also brings to mind the quilty of the frame materials used to make it. Just furthers that I say about the FZ feeling cheap.

Don't get me wrong i still think that it's a cool bike. If not for the STR I would have and FZ and just upgrade most of it. Or go ducati moster...

·
Premium Member
8,452 Posts
Now that you have the Street Triple, you can turn your FZ07 into a very capable track weapon.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I would love to put that kit on it even if I didn't track it! My issue is that the tracks are so far from me and the season is short. I'm only 2 hrs from Road Atlanta but best I can tell they don't have very many track day for bikes. There is another track called NC bike about 3.5 hrs from me and there is one event in Darlington SC I think. But Darlington is in August in midlands SC and it's usually 100F around that time. Full gear in those temps may be rough on this old man. Great pic!

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I'm in Canada so all we have is snow and salt LOL!

So down there the rust is not an issue? I day that because half of what I know of that is based on poeples experiences from states.

It was an issue with the welds and the paint covering them fro what I know. The salt is just a catalyst for the rust. Yes it will happen faster, but also brings to mind the quilty of the frame materials used to make it. Just furthers that I say about the FZ feeling cheap.

Don't get me wrong i still think that it's a cool bike. If not for the STR I would have and FZ and just upgrade most of it. Or go ducati moster...
Yeah there is no doubt that Yammy went budget on the materials. The fasteners are garbage and strip easily. Fit and finish isn't the greatest and overall the bike looks plastic. The team Yamaha blue looks even worse than the other colors because there are so many blue plastic toys. My FZ is red but still. A brief stint with a swing arm bag managed to rub the black paint off the pillion foot peg bracket so the painted metal parts have thin paint for sure. The bike is all about the engine and the chassis set up works okay with that engine. I don't think the same can be said for the FZ09.

I rode the 07 and the 09 on the same day and the 07 actually felt quicker. I put that down to weight though, it's just light and torquey.

Rust can be an issue around here but nothing like other areas where there is snow or salt air from the ocean. My old man was in the car business. In the 60's he would go buy cars at auction in Buffalo NY. They would be low mileage but rusted up to the door handles from snow and salt. Back then manufacturer's could get away with selling US models without undercoating to protect from rust, Canada had a law that prohibited that so you guys got undercoating. Down here in the south there were some talented auto body guys, likely because of all the stock car racing, so they would bondo those rusty cars up, paint them and sell them for good profits.

It looks like I'll be on the FZ for the next few weeks. Took he STR to the mountains yesterday and on a not so cold start the timing chain was raising hell. I wasn't sure I would make it home. Bike came with a new tensioner, blades and timing chain so looks like I'll be pulling the cams to change that. Of course I'll service the valves at the same time. This will be by far the biggest service job I've ever tackled. I have the manual though and a garage full of tools. I'm a decent wrench from working on all my cars and my kids cars as well as some parts changing on bikes. Should be okay if I don't screw up the timing or lose fasteners during the tear down. LOL

·
Registered
56 Posts
I would love to put that kit on it even if I didn't track it! My issue is that the tracks are so far from me and the season is short. I'm only 2 hrs from Road Atlanta but best I can tell they don't have very many track day for bikes. There is another track called NC bike about 3.5 hrs from me and there is one event in Darlington SC I think. But Darlington is in August in midlands SC and it's usually 100F around that time. Full gear in those temps may be rough on this old man. Great pic!
Look at Sportbike Track Time and Performance Riding Experience for days at Road Atlanta. You are only 4 hours from Barber, STT does a number of weekends there. You are also close to Roebling Road in Bloomingdales, GA, Evolve GT does days there. Carolina Motosports Park is in Kershaw, SC and probably 4 or so hours to Virginia International Raceway in Alton, VA, Performance does days there.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Look at Sportbike Track Time and Performance Riding Experience for days at Road Atlanta. You are only 4 hours from Barber, STT does a number of weekends there. You are also close to Roebling Road in Bloomingdales, GA, Evolve GT does days there. Carolina Motosports Park is in Kershaw, SC and probably 4 or so hours to Virginia International Raceway in Alton, VA, Performance does days there.
Great thanks! I'll do some research!

·
Registered
10 Posts
I had a FZ-07 previously, now a '18 ST RS. I do miss that low end HULK grunt and effortless wheelies. I'm in North Atlanta area, might see you around Blood Mountain when it warms up!

·
Registered
20 Posts
I test rode a FZO7 and a street triple nearly back to back trying to make my decision between the 2. The FZ was first, I liked it. Wasn’t sure I loved it. Good torque but not much else floated my boat. Just lacked character to me. Although I’m kinda a Yamaha guy I did think I would end up with that. Then I rode my street triple. While not quite as torquey I loved it. Loved the chassis, suspension, fit n finish and the deal sealer was the engine characteristics with its sounds and how it revved. IMO.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Heck
I had a FZ-07 previously, now a '18 ST RS. I do miss that low end HULK grunt and effortless wheelies. I'm in North Atlanta area, might see you around Blood Mountain when it warms up!
[/QUOTE
Heck yeah. We have some great mountain roads around here too if you’re ever up this way. I ride all over western NC/SC

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I
I test rode a FZO7 and a street triple nearly back to back trying to make my decision between the 2. The FZ was first, I liked it. Wasn’t sure I loved it. Good torque but not much else floated my boat. Just lacked character to me. Although I’m kinda a Yamaha guy I did think I would end up with that. Then I rode my street triple. While not quite as torquey I loved it. Loved the chassis, suspension, fit n finish and the deal sealer was the engine characteristics with its sounds and how it revved. IMO.
I agree. The more time I spend on the ST3 the less sexy the FZ07 becomes. All in all still a great little bike though.

·
Premium Member
24 Posts
I couldn't decide between the fz and the str. Test rode both. I bought the str because of the better quality. My boss has a fz-07 and when I sit on it the creaking and plasticky feel is a definite turn off. Its built to a price point for sure and it shows but I can sure see its appeal

1 - 16 of 16 Posts