Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
May be already too late to ask for advice as I already signed the check but:

My first bike was a Kawi ZX-7R. In retrospect that bike was WAY to big for me at the time, both as a new rider and and smaller rider (5'8" 165lbs). I had the bike for a little over a year in north Florida and had my share of fun with it, but never felt truly confident on it.

That was 6 years ago. I sold the bike when moving to NYC and every season I've been getting the urge to start riding again. This year I followed up on it with a 2009 Street Triple R.

The question is, what do you guys think about the ST3 for introducing me back into the wonderful world of motorcycling? I took the MSF rider course last summer (I never did it the first time around) so I'm not totally uncomfortable back on 2 wheels, but it has been a while.

From everything I've been reading the ST3 is exactly what I want; originally I was tempted to get an SV650, 696 or ER-6N but I was afraid I would outgrow them too quick. Then I saw the ST3 at the dealer and those other 3 bikes quickly disappeared from memory... :)

·
Premium Member
4,788 Posts
Well, if you've signed the check, then by definition it's got to be OK... :)

But seriously, yes, I think the Street is likely to be a good fit for your needs. Glad to hear you took the MSF course, too. That'll help a lot.

·
Registered
62 Posts
You could have done a LOT worse there, drive! Get out and get some seat time on that triple and it will reward you in many ways.

·
Premium Member
1,908 Posts
I think following the break-in procedure on the gas tank will help you, too. It will slowly introduce you to the bike's capabilities.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well, if you've signed the check, then by definition it's got to be OK... :)

But seriously, yes, I think the Street is likely to be a good fit for your needs. Glad to hear you took the MSF course, too. That'll help a lot.
Heh, yeah... The dealer has a 20 min return policy though (so long as I don't drop it). In any case, I'm pretty happy with the decision so far, I've yet to read anything negative about the ST3.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
just rode it home today, and while riding in downtown NYC totally sucks, i absolutely love this bike!

·
Registered
21 Posts
I got an orange R as my first bike ever last week, and was sketchy because of people saying it holds its own against fast fast motorcycles. But knew it was a sure thing, from all the positive reviews and comments. It's an upright naked, which is what I'm looking for. Anyway after 300 miles I'm not sketch anymore about the choice. This thing handles like a champ. It makes cornering and operating a motorcycle pretty simple. This thing is so light, and you can really feel the mobility under you riding.

Also as an above poster stated, the breakin is helping me adjust to the power of the motorcycle. The moments I still feel iffy is using the throttle turning at slower speeds. It can be responsive and I don't want to give it too much in a limited space turning. When I first rode I admit I was squeezing the handgrips pretty tight, so hitting pumps would transfer to the throttle :p

·
Registered
51 Posts
Same Boat

Drive:
I had a similar situation, but the gap between first bike (XJ600S) and second was twelve years. (unlicensed 90 year olds should not drive). I also looked at the 696, SV650 as well as the Shiver, but when I saw the Striple I fell in love. I read this entire forum I think, debating it as my "second first bike."
I just got my grey Triple R this weekend, and put 100 miles on in one day bombing around back country roads, cycling through the gears, scuffing up the tires, having a ball with the break-in. Any questions I had about this bike faded into distant memory within a mile after I left the dealer.
This bike is brilliant, everything I hoped it would be. Once you get the hang of the throttle over bumps, it's nothing but ear to ear grins. No regrets, you made the right choice with the ST3. Glad you like it as well.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts