Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello...
Strange things happenedin last three days.
Video speaks itself, but bit of explanatory is neccessary:
On this first video the problem is: while first attempt to start the engine, engine tries to start up about 2 sec and then starter cuts, at the moment dash board kind a "reloads", engine starts from the second attempt.
On this vids engine didn't start from 3 attempts, starter cut's after 2 or 3 secs may be less, from now didn't starts at all.
Gasoline more then a half tank.
Pump relay checked and working.
Battery checked and re-charger by smart charger (second video)

Where do I begin to check for malfunction, I suggest - smthn wrong with starter/solenoid contacts?
Community help highly appreciated!

·
Registered
12 Posts
Start with checking the ground connection to the engine case (below the battery). Goofy things can happen if there is not a solid ground. Remove the bolt and pull up the ground cable. Sand everything with ~800 grit sand paper to make sure there is a good connection.

Next hook a volt meter to the battery and see what the voltage is when you crank it over (and when it is running). That might give you a clue where to go next.

·
Registered
586 Posts
Normally I would say that the the voltage is dropping too much and the bikes ECU is aborting the start, but that wouldn't explain why it turned over much longer second attempt and started.
Just wondering if it's a fuel issue, like there's not enough fuel for the first start attempt, have you got the run stop switch in The run position when you switch the ignition on?

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Start with checking the ground connection to the engine case (below the battery). Goofy things can happen if there is not a solid ground. Remove the bolt and pull up the ground cable. Sand everything with ~800 grit sand paper to make sure there is a good connection.

Next hook a volt meter to the battery and see what the voltage is when you crank it over (and when it is running). That might give you a clue where to go next.
I will check the ground point on the engine, that is very possible, thanks to triple engine vibrations.
Regards to second part: I have installed voltmeter on the bike (to control charging/voltage) and it is drops to zero after start attempt and then "reloads" to normal values. In case if engine starts: 13.6V (thanx to serial RR from Ducati Multistrada)

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Normally I would say that the the voltage is dropping too much and the bikes ECU is aborting the start, but that wouldn't explain why it turned over much longer second attempt and started.
Just wondering if it's a fuel issue, like there's not enough fuel for the first start attempt, have you got the run stop switch in The run position when you switch the ignition on?
About drop to zero - you r right.
Definetely not fuel, I tried key with ON and OFF, trying to spin the wheel (in case of...) touch/shake/move a bit all connectors in area without disassembling.
I should say, once (three days ago) engine suddenly stop while I was driving on the road (also there was bad starting proc). But dash was ok (just reloads).
I will check all possible grounds and then will post results here.

·
Registered
3,179 Posts
I had similar, it was a battery with an unknown country of origin.
Replaced the battery with a Yuasa and problem solved.
Also updated the starter leads a bit later, fires up like a champ.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Mine is Unibat (according to all specs) changed at may this year - with certificate of authentity...
Also, as I mentioned previously, for second try battery recharged with "smart" charger.
100% sure in battery. Anyway, I have spare battery too, in case if ground is not a issue, will try spare battery (also recharged).

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Ground is OK (starter & engine points)
Battery is OK (replaced and even parralleled)

Noticed, while I was spin rear wheel a bit, start is not cuts off, then I realized that it could be the crankshaft sensor, after, I shoot the video about my suggestion and seems to me, this is it.
with sensor off
with sensor on

Also, after fuel tank was back in the place I tried to start engine again and its run. While engine was running, I slightly knock several times on the sensor head, now its starts every time. So, will order it and then will post results here.
Triumph SENSOR,CRANKSHAFT POSITION Part # T1290291

·
Registered
586 Posts
Good spot 👍
Hope that sorts out the problem, a relatively cheap fix.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Great, hope the crankshaft position sensor does the trick.

Once you get it replaced could you post if the old one shows any obvious signs of damage? I'm guessing not since it seems to be intermittent but maybe it shows signs of physical damage or a different resistance measurement?

·
Registered
14 Posts
What battery is it? YTX12 or YT12?

Been posting frantically on here because I’ve bought a 2nd hand 2006 Sprint 1050 & Ive had stator tested & had a much more superior R/R fitted as the stock one was shot.

Charging at 14.2V now which is damn near perfect, but I’ve no idea how old the battery is so I’ve decided to get new.

All websites such as Yuasa & Motobatt & even Halfords suggest a YTX12...

...But I’ve bought the bike with a YT12 (no X) fitted (see photo).

So what battery should the Sprint 1050’s have? I know the triples need some good hard CCA’s to start nicely.

Driving me nuts this is.

Attachments

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
Well, here is the results of my exercises with bike:
1) Recieved and replaced crankshaft sensor - no results, the same faulty start (now I got spare)
2) In desper: decided to check relays, simply just changed starter relay with EMS relay and success, engine start as usual...
Results: EMS or starter relay mailfunction, not dead, but not fully functional. Replaced all of them (earlier my pump relay died, now EMS/starter relay half dead/half live, so finally replaced them all)

·
Registered
1,654 Posts
In fact the starter relay is a normal relay as opposed to the solenoid which has a huge contact, a big coil and includes a fuse.
I just checked in the manual.

Fred

·
Registered
9 Posts
I have this going on with my 06 which lead to abusing the starter to the point of having to replace it last season. I also for sure have some kind of charging issue which I am tackling first as detailed here.

I get this + occasionally when I push the start button it doesn't engage the starter at all. Because in some cases I get nothing at all I'm suspecting a faulty clutch or kickstand sensor is engaging the safety cut-off. So I guess try those if this continues.

:edit:
Thank you for the info and video example though as I now have a lot of other things to check out :)

1 - 20 of 21 Posts