Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
359 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
G'day,

I have fitted a set of Triumph raised bars on our 2006 ST. a lot of people don't know they exist but basically they are a retrofit kit for the earlier bikes, to fit up the latter bars.

I am a big fan of the kit, a little dearer than risers but much, much better quality and as they come with all the cables and hoses, can actually be good for someone with a Sprint with a few kays.

Part #A9638022 for non-ABS, From memory the part # for ABS bikes is A9638023.

They are MUCH higher than the stock, and I am a big fan. They make riding much nicer.

Fitment is a task, as you remove throttle cables, clutch cable and brake line to RH caliper (all supplied and new washers etc) and the only thing else you need is brake fluid, a day and some mechanical nous. this is what makes the kit so much better than risers, as the cables are all nice and free, the bike looks stock. this bike now has bags, bubble screen (OEM tint) and looks like a later bike, except the seat which in my opinion is better on the later bikes.

Have fun!

·
Registered
27 Posts
higher bar kit used with genmars

Has anyone used the higher bar kit on an 06 Sprint and also used genmar bar risers in conjunction with?

Thanks

·
Registered
203 Posts
Hi,

Has anyone used the higher bar kit on an 06 Sprint and also used genmar bar risers in conjunction with?
do You want to know how works higher bar kit installed on Genmar risers or compare Genmars with higher bar kit?

If the first option, You should ask for Genmars installed in '07+ ST - higher bar is standard since 2007 model.
If the second - I can say sth. as I've got Genmars in my '06 ST and I tested '08 ST for a week. The conclusion is that OEM higher bar kit is a bit higher than '06 bar + Genmars and AFAIR handlebars are a bit closer to riders body - if they'd cost the same I'd take OEM bars but IMHO the difference is not big enough to pay additional money for them.

·
Registered
359 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Now for sale on ebay

Well, I sold the bike didn't I? I have removed the kit and lovingly cleaned it all, lubed the cables and the brake line flushed. The kit has only done about 1000km, and is in brand new condition.

check ebay!

·
Registered
436 Posts
Not sure it's necessary, but can you add risers to an '06 with the taller bar kit installed?

- Dan

·
Registered
7 Posts
I put the taller bar kit on my '06, and also the Genmar risers. Had to turn the risers down about 1/4 inch so the bars wouldn't interfere with the fairing on full lock.

·
Registered
436 Posts
I put the taller bar kit on my '06, and also the Genmar risers. Had to turn the risers down about 1/4 inch so the bars wouldn't interfere with the fairing on full lock.

Did you like it better raised up? Did it affect the way the bike felt?

Rode my Tuono today with it's high up bars and I prefer those ergos to the Sprint, but I love them both....

- Dan

·
Registered
7 Posts
Rider 14,
Yes, I find it much more comfortable with higher bars and modified risers. For what it's worth, I probably would have sold the bike if I couldn't have got the bars higher. I'm 5'11" with a long torso.

·
Registered
436 Posts
Bandit - can you explain exactly how you had to modify the genmar risers to get them to work with the high bars kit on an '06 or older?

Really thinking about doing this....already have some HID's sitting in my garage for a month that need installing, plus a few others...

I'm now thinking a new seat is a little more important than risers...but the risers are likely cheaper...?

Anyway, very curious. Oh, and I'm 5'9, but long in the leg with a short torso. Looking for the same happy medium from the opposite end...

- Dan

·
Registered
38 Posts
Hi Chris,

sounds great. MAn I am a fan of adjust-ability, and have used Convertibars (Michigan) on my St and my VFRs with lots of satisfaction. You can extend them up far ( similar to the risers you discuss) for cruising, but w 5 min and an allen wrench you can put them in a myriad of other positions, including more aggressive than stock, carve twisties, and then put them back up for hwy cruising ... its great ... lemme know if anyone has any interest or experience with other adjustable bar systems. i think its a shame the OEMs don't make them std equipment (and adjustable windshields too!)

·
Registered
359 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Hi Chris,

sounds great. MAn I am a fan of adjust-ability, and have used Convertibars (Michigan) on my St and my VFRs with lots of satisfaction. You can extend them up far ( similar to the risers you discuss) for cruising, but w 5 min and an allen wrench you can put them in a myriad of other positions, including more aggressive than stock, carve twisties, and then put them back up for hwy cruising ... its great ... lemme know if anyone has any interest or experience with other adjustable bar systems. i think its a shame the OEMs don't make them std equipment (and adjustable windshields too!)
I'd love to see some pictures of your ST install of Convertibars. PM sent.

·
Registered
359 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Hi Chris - Yes i am working on modifications to that setup this July and Aug. Will post when done man
I'm pretty sold on the idea- I don't want too much height, I just want to flatten out the bars. I loved the Sprint 900 bar set up, it was the same as the GT but had a flat bar profile.

I may become the Sout East Asia Convertibar dealer as well, yet.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I installed a set of Genmar risers to my '05 ST; I can't say that it made a material difference to the position. Some change, but not a remarkable one. I think I'll ride it as is for awhile and see if it feels better with some use.

·
Registered
28 Posts
My patience with long reach to bars, and long range discomfort has come to an end. I had the Genmar risers on for a few years and they helped, but the bike remained less than comfortable for me. About 6 months ago I gave it one last chance before selling it, and installed a set of Convertibars. This required a new brake line, but no other mods.
With 10 other bikes in the garage, my 2005 ST went from one step away from being sold to my most comfortable machine. I have the convertibars up as high as they will go, angled down slightly, and rotated back to just clear the tank. The bars just touch the fairing at full stop.
When racking up miles, I sit close to upright. When going faster on twisty roads, I can tuck in with a natural bend at the elbows.

·
Registered
27 Posts
My patience with long reach to bars, and long range discomfort has come to an end. I had the Genmar risers on for a few years and they helped, but the bike remained less than comfortable for me. About 6 months ago I gave it one last chance before selling it, and installed a set of Convertibars. This required a new brake line, but no other mods.
With 10 other bikes in the garage, my 2005 ST went from one step away from being sold to my most comfortable machine. I have the convertibars up as high as they will go, angled down slightly, and rotated back to just clear the tank. The bars just touch the fairing at full stop.
When racking up miles, I sit close to upright. When going faster on twisty roads, I can tuck in with a natural bend at the elbows.
Pics???

1 - 20 of 20 Posts