Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
16 Street Twin | 07 Sprint ST
171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anybody know the size and length of the stock rear shock mounting bolts on the Street Twin?

My dealer installed the leather panniers on my ST. According to the instructions the first step is to:

"Remove the left hand side rear suspension unit top fixing screw and washer, if fitted. Discard the screw and washer."

Later, you install a "Bolt, M8 x 20 mm" from the pannier kit in its place.

My dealer didn't give me the original stock bolts (aka "screw") back. I am wondering if I remove the panniers and support bracket, can I use the M8x20 bolt from the kit or do I need the original? (I am assuming that the original is shorter, if there is a difference.)

Interestingly, the parts listing on Bike Bandit lists the shock bolt as "M8X1.25X20". That makes me think the original bolt is the same size as the bolt in the pannier kit. If so, why would Triumph want you to discard the original?

-Alan

·
Premium Member
20,740 Posts
Interestingly, the parts listing on Bike Bandit lists the shock bolt as "M8X1.25X20". That makes me think the original bolt is the same size as the bolt in the pannier kit. If so, why would Triumph want you to discard the original?
I imagine it's for the same reason as the older models. They use bolts with pre-applied locking compound in dry form. You could clean off the old compound residue, apply a drop of blue loctite and refit. An example of a bolt with pre-applied thread-locker:

·
Registered
16 Street Twin | 07 Sprint ST
171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ah, that makes sense. Seems kind of wasteful, but it makes a certain sense.

-Alan

1 - 3 of 3 Posts