Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi again - I recently went on a motorcycle camp tour in CO, and I had a speed wobble as I passed a couple cars on a long straight away. Never had such a scare in my life!

I never had problems with Avon Roadriders, and I've loved the Avon Storm 3D that I put on at the beginning of spring. I haven't read of any speed wobble issues due to the 3D's in this forum, and now I'm thinking it's not the tires, but something else. I did err and had a bit too much tire pressure in both tires (perhaps due to elevation) 35 front, 38 rear cold at high elevation 9k ft. The bike had about 50 lbs of gear in hard cases. The steering bearing feel solid.

Would you say tire pressure could have been the issue? I appreciate your thoughts..... I'm trying to never have that happen again!

·
Registered
2018 Triumph T120 2020 BMW R1250R
954 Posts
I'm not smart enough to be able to say what caused your wobble. I had the same concerns you have, without even having one. Researching it and seeing videos of them happening was a little unsettling.

So to ease my mind I added a steering damper. In addition to this I try and ensure my bike runs in tip top shape. Service interval for head bearings is 20K miles. I lapsed and did mine at 30K instead.

·
Registered
580 Posts
Could be tyre pressures.
I had handlebar shake for the first time on my Honda yesterday straight after having a new tyre fitted, filled with too much air and exacerbated by the hot tarmac being the cause.
Let it down 10lb and normal service resumed immediately. Hands off the bars and bike steady as a rock with it steering a perfectly straight line. Tech forgot to reduce tyre pressure after seating the beads.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts