Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
F

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I made a mistake. This spring I bought an 04 Honda VTX cruiser. Very lame.. I test drove a YAMAHA FJR1300 and fell in love with it. It is a lot of money.
Now I stumble upon these 1050`s and I want a bike now to be my keeper, if that ever happens. What to buy??
I probably do 3 - 5 hour trips most often. Once or twice a year I intend to be gone over night on a longer jaunt.
Cruisers are OK for some people but I`m not one of them. They are too heavy, too slow, to uncomfortable with your feet way out in front of you. I want to feel that I have the bike and not that it has me.
Thanks for the help

·
Registered
134 Posts
Welcome to the forum fasst-car. You'll get lotsa good advice here, but for my money best thing you can do is go ride em. Try each one for size, and not just the 10 minute run around the block.

I'd also have a look at a couple of other makes so when you make the decision on a trumpy, you'll know why it's so flamin good.

If you're buying 2nd hand, there should be some good deals out there on the first 2, but for a Tiger I think you'll need to wait, or stump up for a new one.

I'm sure we'll hear of your decision.

BTW, you need to make one of your overnighters a pilgrimage to Zelmo's. Seems it's standard qualifying criteria of our US and Canadian memebrs..... :cool:

·
Registered
711 Posts
Faast, I know others on this chat can give more direct info, but here are my thoughts on a similar situation.

I currently have a Triumph twin and have been following the 1050 bike chat trying to make up my mind for next season. My riding friends have an FJ and a couple of BM K bikes. One of the BMW riders used to have an ST and loves the big K, but really misses the Triumph for it's overall fun package. Theirs are very nice bikes, but I keep coming back to Triumph for the overall objective and emotional subjective pluses and minuses.

I too, don't want to buy on impulse and get a "non-keeper". I've ridden about 7k miles since June and have soft luggage etc. The twin is great, but I am leaning more towards "sport touring". The Speed Triple and ST are awesome with the new Tiger appearing to split the difference with it's package of tune, suspension, partial faired etc. We don't have the new models around here yet. I would buy an ST today, but I promised myself a checkout of the new Tiger first.

Bottom line, take time to review some great info from the members here. I've learned a bunch from them. Then take time for a real test drive. Triumph is very good about having test vehicles available, at least around here.

The Yamaha is nice, check new Kawasaki Concourse for competition. Triumph is lighter, better handling (sportier) and top price package (IMHO).

Good luck.

·
Registered
616 Posts
Fortunately many Triumph dealers offer test rides. The new 07 ST will have, I'm told, bar and seat ergonomics which are a little more upright. Many of us with older st's have added bar risers and different seats to get the same effect. The S3 is much like my Monster and while others surely do long rides on hooligan bikes I prefer the ST for long days. 06 and earlier Tigers offer more wind protection that they appear to with a more upright stance.

I've had a 99 and 05 St and am awaiting an 07 Tiger. At age 56 I need to sit up a little straighter and with the lower seat height of the 07 Tiger I think it will be a good fit for me.

I've had Triumphs, Ducs, Harleys, BMWs and keep coming back to Triumphs. Guess you'd have to expect that on this site :-D

·
Registered
28 Posts
I've had both a 2000 Speed Triple and my current '06 Sprint ST ABS and all I can say is go and test ride them. I loved my S3 and wish I still had it, but the Sprint's wind protection and factory luggage are nice to have on the longer rides.

The S3 has a shorter wheelbase and would throttle wheelie very easily. Also, the high and wide handle bars made the S3 a natural at negotiating city traffic. The biggest downside of the S3 is the lack of wind protection. At 80mph on the super slab the S3 is not a lot of fun. If you are comparing new bikes the current S3 has USD forks and radial brakes which the Sprint and my 2000 S3 lack.

The Sprint is a better all around package for the riding I do. The fairing offers a fair amount of wind protection and doesn't cook me too bad since I have the heat kit installed. The factory luggage is really nice if you are going to go on long rides or ride in weather were you will need to shed clothes as the day goes on. The suspension and brakes maybe a bit old school compared to the S3, but I have yet to find myself wishing for more.

Definitely try to ride all the bikes you are considering before you buy. If you want to fly to Texas this weekend the Triumph demo truck will be at Eurosport in Fort Worth :razz: .

Kevin

[ This message was edited by: Cabinetman on 2006-11-16 09:18 ]

·
Premium Member
24,354 Posts
Fasst-car,
welcome to the forum mate.

I think the other fellows have offered wise advise.

I would plump for the Sprint for it's comfort, handlling and gem of a motor.

It is just such a good allrounder. as stated the S3 is a naked and so on longer trips or at any sort of velocity the wind will be a factor to consider.

I ride mine very hard and it absorbs all my punishment and handles very well even with the stock suspenders that are capable but not top quality items. The Triumphs are also very well priced and a lot of bike for your buck.

cheers,
Davem :cool:

·
Registered
929 Posts
LOL you sound like me. before I bought the sprint.

the real problem is: everyone needs atleast 3 bikes.

the S3 was my dreambike.
I got the opportunity to ride 2006 S3 and 2006 sprint back to back. loved them both. the S3 and 75mph roll on wheelies... not bad. :)
but it would get me into to too much trouble.
I fell in love with the sprint and the quality of it.
Ideally if the 07 tigers were out it would have gave this sprint a run for its money. no regrets though.

So for me it got down to "where" and when I was going to ride. the fullfairing became important and ass loads of torque
was the high on the grin factor.

here's my advice to you:
figure out where and when you will ride it.
then make a list of bikes....
then make a list pros and cons.

the answer will pop out at you and take a bite out of your wallet.

:-D

·
Registered
8,111 Posts
Hi Fasst-car and welcome to the forum

All great bikes for all different reasons.

I have a mate with an 06 Tiger and he loves it to bits. It is a bit upright for me but he does trails and long distance 2 up alot and it is perfect for him.

The S3 would have to be the most fun, hoon bike but I am not sure that I would like to do 3-5 (unfaired) hours at speed on it. I really like the looks of the S3 though.

The ST would have to be the great all rounder sports tourer of the bunch even with it's few little problem (suffered by some I might add). IMO 3-5 hours on the Sprint would be an easy day depending on your reach. That said bar risers would help if that was an issue.

You should really test ride them all to save the problem that you are currently experiencing.

You'll love the usable power and torque of the triple whichever one you go for. :-D Good luck

·
Registered
74 Posts
On 2006-11-16 15:30, bakwheeltango wrote:
LOL you sound like me. before I bought the sprint.

the real problem is: everyone needs atleast 3 bikes.

here's my advice to you:
figure out where and when you will ride it.
then make a list of bikes....
then make a list pros and cons.

the answer will pop out at you and take a bite out of your wallet.
All too true ;-)

I've had a lifelong crush on big nakeds (bikes, not women), and was utterly convinced I wanted a Suzuki GSX1400, but after 15 years out of the saddle decided to test the waters.
Thankfully I got back into riding on a cheap old Zooki GSX400 for 15 months and really learnt heaps about what I do and don't want to do out of my bike now I am a little older (not wiser :) ).

I tested the following (not in order of riding);
Ducati Monster 1000
BMW F800S and ST
Honda Deauville 650
Honda VT750C
Honda VTR1000 Firestorm
Honda VFR800
Kawasaki GT550 - older bike.
Suzuki GSX1400
Triumph Sprint ST - I KNEW within about 1klm of getting on it that this was for me.
Yamaha FZ1

Anyway, a long story short... I decided on the Sprint within 5 minutes after not having even thought of it a week before. It was just the bike for me.
Once I decided that I wanted a faired bike, the only other bike that was on my list was the Ducati ST3, but servicing $$$ said goodbye to that before I even rode it.

I get my 07 Sprint in about 3 or 4 weeks, and cannot wait to start eating up the k's.

Now just for a Chook Chaser and a sidecar....

·
Registered
8,111 Posts
Mi-KEY, How about a review of the variances and characteristics of the bikes?

F

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Hi folks:
Thanks for all the input. I am going to ride all of them in the spring and I might even give that FJR another look. The ST seems to be the way I`m leaning. I was at the local Triumph dealers customer appreciation night this week and fondled an ST and S3. The S3 sits up higher and as far as a wind shield goes I have only put one on my VTX once this year then put it away. ( not cool ).
I know on the FJR test rides last summer the wind was terrible with the standard wind shield. It needs to be bigger. The FJR has a lot more power but also a lot more weight and less handling Some times a poor fairing knocks your helmit half off your head. The wind has less buffeting with no fairing. I just think I need a TRIUMPH..

F

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
WHOOPS:
I hit the wrong button. Could have been that last Bacardi kickin in.
Now where was I. Oh yah. Jameskiwi what is Zelmos. I hope to get to the " Tail of the Dragon " this spring even if it is still on my old Cruiser. My wife wants to go so it may be in my Z 28 SS Camaro convertible. My four wheel cruiser. Then back again on something more appropriate later in the summer.. Maybe a new ST.
Thanks again best to you all.

·
Registered
924 Posts
Fasst-car,
Been riding an 02 ST since June of 03. Love it. Couldn't trade me two brand new 05, 06 or 07's for it because it is just a better touring machine. The thing is the ST isn't as good a long distance tourer as the FJR and that is why I'll be picking up an 07 next month. Having two bikes is hard for me to justify using general accounting methods. Then again, my mind is already stripping the bags, and other stuff to make it into a full fairing'ed RS wanna be.

·
Registered
561 Posts
Fasst-car mate!
Just another point of view to add to the mix. I ride a 05 Sprint ST & a 97 T595 Daytona. I am looking at replacing the Sprint in about 08. After talking to my local dealer who said that he believes the 07 Tiger will be the bike to beat. He has also offered his new shop bike the 07 Tiger when he gets one it for a weekend to take away for a test. The Sprint is a fantastic bike that for me, does it all, but life is about trying different stuff so I may give the Tiger ago. Anyway this is just food for thought.

Cya The Tankman

:???: :???: :???:

·
Premium Member
4,566 Posts
On 2006-11-18 04:28, Tankman wrote:
Fasst-car mate!
Just another point of view to add to the mix. I ride a 05 Sprint ST & a 97 T595 Daytona. I am looking at replacing the Sprint in about 08. After talking to my local dealer who said that he believes the 07 Tiger will be the bike to beat. He has also offered his new shop bike the 07 Tiger when he gets one it for a weekend to take away for a test. The Sprint is a fantastic bike that for me, does it all, but life is about trying different stuff so I may give the Tiger ago. Anyway this is just food for thought.

Cya The Tankman
:???: :???: :???:
Interesting comments Tankman, what about the Benelli triples? They look pretty awesome in an uglier than S3 kind of way :) . and are definitely something different.

The tiger does look good in the flesh though!

Russ

·
Registered
561 Posts
Russ,
mate, I love Trumpy's and I am very brand loyal. For me Triumph have a model for everyone and I just love em! I know there are many different and varied motorcycles, but I am a bit one eyed about Triumph and there will always be a Trumpy in my shed. Anyway mate! safe riding and hopefully will see you down here in motorcycle heaven some day.

Cya The Tankman
:chug: :chug: :chug:

F

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Round and round I go. If I don`t just go get a Sprint I`l have to just draw straws. This is a great problem to have.

·
Premium Member
4,566 Posts
On 2006-11-18 16:13, Tankman wrote:
Russ,
mate, I love Trumpy's and I am very brand loyal. For me Triumph have a model for everyone and I just love em! I know there are many different and varied motorcycles, but I am a bit one eyed about Triumph and there will always be a Trumpy in my shed. Anyway mate! safe riding and hopefully will see you down here in motorcycle heaven some day.

Cya The Tankman
:chug: :chug: :chug:
I guessed, just a bit of not very subtle teasing :) I'd like to take a benelli for a run though, just to see how well someone else can do a Triple.

Russ

·
Registered
561 Posts
Fasst-car
mate in my humble opinion the Sprint is the bike that does it all. I love my Sprint and I have fitted a shitload of Triumph and other extras to her. If I had my time over I would still buy the Sprint. Anyway hope this helps a bit, but in the end it is your decision and it will be the right one.

Cya The Tankman
:upthumb: :upthumb: :upthumb:

·
Registered
134 Posts
On 2006-11-17 19:54, Fasst-car wrote:
WHOOPS:
Now where was I. Oh yah. Jameskiwi what is Zelmos. I hope to get to the " Tail of the Dragon " this spring even if it is still on my old Cruiser. My wife wants to go so it may be in my Z 28 SS Camaro convertible. My four wheel cruiser. Then back again on something more appropriate later in the summer.. Maybe a new ST.
Thanks again best to you all.
Probably not a good idea to take wife, or perhaps drop her at the shopping precinct on the pretence of going ot look at bikes...

Zelmos Action

Some visitors from out of town...

1 - 20 of 20 Posts