Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Nice to Have Choices!

Hi,

you could buy either bike and no doubt be happy with your purchase. I've always liked the 'busa - it certainly makes a statement.

But for what it's worth (and this is just my opinion)

• Sprint has excellent "real world" power - more than enough for most circumstances I'd say
  • Sprints, and triumphs generally, make their own statement
  • Sprint is good to look at (IMO!)
  • Sprint motor has a great delivery, very intoxicating (again, MO)
  • My Sprint is a stay-er - i.e. I ain't shopping around. I have a feeling this'll be a long term thing for me - haven't felt that way about a bike for a long time
Happy shopping, either way you go you're gonna be happy I reckon :)

Cheers,

Neil

·
Registered
240 Posts
Hi Aimo, Sprint has more upright riding position, better fuel economy,comes with panniers and will not attract as much attention from the police. both bikes will cover long distances easily ,not too many places left where you can travel at warp speed so the big Suzi is a bit of overkill IMHO. Take em both for a ride and check for yourself is the only way to see which you prefer. Cheers and good luck.

·
Registered
355 Posts
Way cheaper Hayabusa? The money you may save on initial purchase will be more than eaten up by insurance.

·
Premium Member
24,231 Posts
For mountain riding;

I've ridden both.

The Sprint properly set up handles better than a Busa.

The Busa understeers and is like a battleship in tight fast mountain corners the Sprint is far more nimble.

The Busa runs wide where the sprint stays to a tight line.

On a windy mountain road the Busa has no advantages only disadvantages, it is heavy a lot slower steering.

If you want to be very fast on sweepers or in a straight line and this is most important to you buy the Hayabusa.

DaveM:cool:

·
Registered
326 Posts
Get the Busa, its so much more powerful and a lot better, in so many ways too.

No, seriously, they're not even the same kind of bike.... asking this is just like saying tell me why I should like apples, oranges are so much more sweet and full of vitamins....

pass your turn and go busa...

easy, really.:confused:

·
Registered
106 Posts
Without knowing how you intend to ride, you really can't compare the two. They are two very different classes of bikes, for instance I don't think I've ever seen a Busa with panniers.

·
Registered
511 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Without knowing how you intend to ride, you really can't compare the two. They are two very different classes of bikes, for instance I don't think I've ever seen a Busa with panniers.
I know that st is more closer to my previous bikes (xx and vfr) than busa, but i who wouldnt like more power and torgue.

You can get panniers to busa also.
Triumps panniers are useles because even helmet is too big to fit in.
So if i need panniers, i have to buy those.
I think that i dont even need panniers. I use only topbox and tankbag.

I can get 09 busa more than 1500€ cheaper than ST

Diffrence with insurances is 118€/year, so it take 12 years to get even. (if i ged ticked it is my own fault)
Busa and my previous xx:s insurances are about same.

And new k8--> busa is so heavy. 7 kilograms more than ST 2008.
I am 188cm and 110kg so i dont know the diffrence.

Somekind of wierd way i like new Triumph ST, but...
Closest dealer/repairservice is about 400km away.
English bikes bad quality reputation compared to japanise.
Triumph is highly overpriced.

I can't compare these two but i can live with both, but i cant buy both.
I really dont need to go 300kmh, but i love torgue.
I can put new exhausts and maps.etc to st and is is still way behind busa, which is cheaper to buy.

Is this the best and cheapest powermod ever? :rolleyes:
This is wery hard decision...

·
Registered
1,756 Posts
Being in Europe, you probably have more choices than we in the States. Have you decided on only these two? Along with what else has been said, I've heard that the Busa eats tires like I eat chocolate-chip cookies.

·
Premium Member
8,211 Posts
Sounds to me like you answered your own question. The pannier complaint is annoying. Why does everyone care if you can fit a helmet in them? My thoughts are that the panniers should only be on when you are travelling in which case they are full of gear and the snap of the bag is irrelevent. Put a helmet lock on and don't deprive yourself of the triple because the panniers are oddly shaped.

I think you want the busa so get a truckload of rear tires and enjoy riding it. Whatever the bike it has to speak to you.

Cheers

·
Registered
106 Posts
I know that st is more closer to my previous bikes (xx and vfr) than busa, but i who wouldnt like more power and torgue.

You can get panniers to busa also.
I guess I'm just used to seeing Hyabusas with extended swing arms and neon kits. You would definitely get more power with with the Busa but you'll give up a little ride comfort. The type of riding you do is what will make the difference. If you want to rocket around tearing up the asphalt the Busa is well suited for that. If you've looking for an all around sporty touring bike then go with the Sprint.

·
Registered
322 Posts
Hi,

you could buy either bike and no doubt be happy with your purchase. I've always liked the 'busa - it certainly makes a statement.

But for what it's worth (and this is just my opinion)

• Sprint has excellent "real world" power - more than enough for most circumstances I'd say
  • Sprints, and triumphs generally, make their own statement
  • Sprint is good to look at (IMO!)
  • Sprint motor has a great delivery, very intoxicating (again, MO)
  • My Sprint is a stay-er - i.e. I ain't shopping around. I have a feeling this'll be a long term thing for me - haven't felt that way about a bike for a long time
Happy shopping, either way you go you're gonna be happy I reckon :)

Cheers,

Neil
Amen! I will only ADD to my bike collection, never replace my Sprint unless it gets stolen or totaled. Excellent all arounder for me!!!

·
Registered
260 Posts
The back end of a Busa is one ugly looking mutha (IMHO) - that's enough to put me off.

The perfect bike does not exist. Whatever bike we choose has some feature we don't think is ideal but we accept the compromise.

For me the drawback with the Sprint is the lack of storage on the bike for the little bits and bobs some of us bikers like to carry around just in case. e.g. puncture repair kit, locks, extra tools, spare bulbs etc. etc.. Having said that it's engine is great, it's comfortable, handles confidently and looks good. And for that I will forgive its one or two minor inconvenient features.

·
Registered
62 Posts
As to the reliability of the Triumph, I just say this: If you told me two years ago that I would own ANY Brittish vehicle as a daily driver, I would have said "Your crazy".

For a year and a half now I have ridden it almost every day, with the only breakdown being a broken clutch cable. Do a little research online about the reliability (like I did) and you may be surprised too.

·
Registered
1,325 Posts
Seems to me you answered your own question, which leads me to wonder why you asked it in the first place?

Personally I don't have a lot of bike experience besides the sprint. I have taken a GSXR600 for a quick ride, fun and fast but not nearly as fun and about as fast as my beloved sprint plus I felt like I was super cramped. Either way, the 'busa is designed to do one thing and one thing only, and it does it quite well; go very fast in a very straight line. That to me is very boring, the fun and allure of riding to me has always been to be full lean in a corner going much faster than my Jeep could possibly go.

There are no draw backs to a new sprint and if money were no concern I'd own one. For me the riding position is perfect, I can run with my J-A buddies on there crotch rockets and I don't look like I'm riding an old guy bike. Plus I attract smart chicks, lets face it if a girl knows about triumph one can assume she has class and sophistication. Which frankly is the most important part, to me at least;)

·
Premium Member
16,670 Posts
What makes a 'busa a 'busa is best experienced on a drag strip; what makes a Sprint a Sprint is best experienced on a curvy (and preferably police-free) highway. I prefer the latter.

Odd that you can get the Suzuki so much cheaper. Here in the states, a Hayabusa costs $1000 more than a Sprint.

Cheers,
-Kit

·
Premium Member
397 Posts
I am also surprised that you are saying the additional insurance premium for the 'busa is so small - I checked into them as a 'reference' when gauging how much different bike were to insure and a 'busa was three times as much to insure as the Sprint for me (45, no claims, clean license, full comp insurance)..

IMO the 'busa has its place as a monster crotch rocket / police magnet / money pit / instant gratification device; but for a more meaningful and long term / deeper / mature kind of satisfaction at a more reasonable price, the Sprint wins hands down.

So, as always, it is down to the individual concerned to choose what works best for them - enjoy whatever you choose! :)

·
Registered
0 Posts
The back end of a Busa is one ugly looking mutha (IMHO) - that's enough to put me off.

The perfect bike does not exist. Whatever bike we choose has some feature we don't think is ideal but we accept the compromise.

For me the drawback with the Sprint is the lack of storage on the bike for the little bits and bobs some of us bikers like to carry around just in case. e.g. puncture repair kit, locks, extra tools, spare bulbs etc. etc.. Having said that it's engine is great, it's comfortable, handles confidently and looks good. And for that I will forgive its one or two minor inconvenient features.
Hey Dave, here's what I did with my puncture repair kit. I took off the windscreen and then the little black panel above the lights (under-screen trim) and put it in there. It's not like you'll be using the repair kit every day so it's worth the minute it takes to undo 6 screw to get to it.

There's enough room to put some small extras like bulbs as well, provided you put them inside a pouch or something similar to stop them moving around or falling off.

PS. Apologies for being off topic.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts