Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2017 ST, 3000 miles, never a problem. Out of the blue today, upon starting, it decided to idle around 2500rpm, and it stayed there. Rode it about 10 miles, no change, although the bike seemed to accelerate better than usual. Removed the snorkel and looked into the air box to make sure there were no obstructions. None seen. Disconnected both battery terminals for a few minutes in hopes it may reset an electrical issue. No change.

Has anyone ever had a similar problem, and what was the fix?

·
Registered
56 Posts
2017 ST, 3000 miles, never a problem. Out of the blue today, upon starting, it decided to idle around 2500rpm, and it stayed there. Rode it about 10 miles, no change, although the bike seemed to accelerate better than usual. Removed the snorkel and looked into the air box to make sure there were no obstructions. None seen. Disconnected both battery terminals for a few minutes in hopes it may reset an electrical issue. No change.

Has anyone ever had a similar problem, and what was the fix?
I wonder if the Street Twin has some kind of idle air control valve or something on the throttle body? If so, you might want to check and see if it has loosened and turned itself somehow.

·
Premium Member
3,325 Posts
I have the same issue on a tt600, 7000 rpm idle, main suspect is the idle speed control valve, or accompanying vacuum line. when it gets a bit warmer I'll get it out of the barn and check it out.

·
Premium Member
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'm thinking the ECU is dumping in extra fuel for some reason. I made an appointment at the dealer for next week, and I'll trailer it up there instead of riding. I'll post the outcome here, hopefully sometime next week.

·
Registered
379 Posts
You're under warrantee. Go right back to the dealer and tell them to fix it.
On that new a bike, it's likely a vacuum hose or something got loose when they were assembling the bike. Either way, it's their problem.
Let us know how that goes.

·
Premium Member
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
This bike developed this problem out of the blue. Was running fine one day, and had this problem the next day. Got it back from the dealer, and they said the problem was that it needed a software update. Ok. Sounded bogus to me. Well, the bike started fine... once, when I loaded it up on my trailer at the dealer (cold, rainy, winter day). Got it home, and it has the same problem again. Going to start looking for an air leak.

·
Premium Member
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I've never been able to solve this problem, and neither has the dealer. Sometimes, it disappears for months, but eventually comes back and stays a while.

Does anyone have anymore insight on this? It's been a while since my original post.

·
Registered
1 Posts
2009 Sprint has the same problem

I am disappointed to see there has been no development to a solution for this problem. My only fix is to shut off the bike, restart it, and it clears the high idle problem. I ride with my finger on top of the clutch lever, like when I ride my dirt bike, just in case the rpms spike during a ride. But that is the only real solution to a problem that Triumph does not recognize, until I sue them after a serious accident.
This has been the best motorcycle I’ve owned for a long time, and it’s too bad there is this problem.

·
Registered
359 Posts
Accelerated better because it was running richer?
On my 865 I picked up a split where the MAP sensor tube joined the inlet manifold after some clumsy cleaning in that vicinity. The crack was invisible by eye but easy enough to detect when the offending tube was wiggled whilst the engine was ticking over.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Any codes?
I was thinking the same thing. I think the OP is correct in thinking it has developed a vacuum leak. You would think for such an erratic condition it would trip some kind of light: "system too lean", "oxygen sensor error", something.

Have you tried spraying starting fluid/carb cleaner around the different intake areas? If the idle increases while spraying in a certain area it is usually the source of your vacuum leak.

Also, if you have or have access to a TuneECU setup you can read all the different sensors.

Also is the bike stored outside or garaged? If outside it's possible a rodent chewed up some wires. Just throwing out some ideas to try and get this problem fixed.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts