Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I'm getting mighty frustrated, I've got an '05 ST 955i . I'd love to find some luggage I can fit. I have no carriers or brackets fitted, and the bike never has as far as I can tell. Every time I find some luggage, there is no mounting system for the bike, or I can find a generic mounting that doesn't seem to fit any actual luggage and there are no adapter plates.

I've tried searching e-bay for six months for an original set paniers or full three piece, the only ones that have come up are 1) Wrong colour (not really a problem as I can re-spray them) 2) almost as much if not more than they were when new and twice the price of anything newly available 3) seriously scuffed, 4) no mounting brackets 5) shipping as much as the panniers (always been a combination of most of above options)

HELP Can someone suggest something that I can get that will fit, i.e. has an available set of mountings for the bike, and doesn't look like its either just fallen off a Harley soft-tail or is paper thin and going to leak at the hint of a slight drizzle.

If have to resort to building a set of mountings I will but I'd rather not as its piggin time consuming

Cheers Tim

·
Registered
60 Posts
Hens teeth! Have a similar problem for my 1050. Broke a factory pannier rail when I slid off some ice - nobody makes them. Sometimes if you're lucky, a mounting system appears on ebay (in my case the parts so far are the wrong friggin side).

I think the generic frame you mention is for these?!

Seems to be plenty of GT1050 pannier bits now, maybe adapt something from there?

·
3,161 Posts
I have seen quite a few sets of bags for sale on ebay lately. The struggle would be finding the mounting hardware because it is very unique to the Sprint (perhaps the early Trophy as well. Same bags).

As an alternative: I have toured extensively with just a set of Cortech Super2.0 bags on my bikes. My 955i Sprint has factory bags, but my 1050 did as well and I usually just strapped the Cortech bags on that bike and went. True, you need to put the rain covers on if it's going to be wet (or put your things in ziplock bags, which I still do with the 955i), but they work well in my opinion.

Third option: This would require some creativity. Givi makes their Easylock line of bags. I adapted an Easylock rack to my 2016 Speed Triple, a kit meant for an earlier Speed Triple. It's a basic small steel rack that attaches under the seat and honestly someone with decent fabrication skills could make themselves. The bags then are attached with an adapter plate you bolt onto the racks. The Easylock bags aren't "waterproof" but do stay dry in the rain for a 20-30 min stint.

·
Registered
14 Posts
@Tim Abram not sure where you are geographically, but I have a pair of side cases from my 2001 Sprint ST (slightly scratched, in Sapphire Blue) for sale, including the mounting rails etc. I don't know if they will fit your bike (don't know if the '01 rails will fir an '05), but If you're close to me (I'm in the San Francisco Bay Area), then this could work.

[UPDATED] I shouldn't be selling stuff here in this forum, and don't want to get in trouble :) I have a post in the Sales forums (RAT North East) which contains the details...

·
3,161 Posts
Haha you're a step ahead of me

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

1 - 6 of 6 Posts