Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I have a two day (to me) 06 st in the garage. After an interesting ride over Dartmoor last night i have decided i could have cycled with my eyes closed faster due to the lights.
Can the beam be adjusted from factory settings so they work in the dark?
would xenon bulbs give a brighter but equally as inefficient lighting for the bike?
any advice would be appreciated....thanks

·
Registered
857 Posts
jimmer - try searching the forum - it's an old and well covered topic :)

they have a sharp cut-off due to reflectors,lenses,bulb position etc

Options are
1 read handbook and adjust beams up a smidge, then

2 install brighter bulbs - I have Osram Silverstar and they help
or
3 get hids
or
4 install auxilary driving lamps on the fork legs

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
lights

hi thanks for this - just that bit of insight helps.
there are some xenon bulbs on ebay - whats the score with them?

·
Registered
142 Posts
jimmer - try searching the forum - it's an old and well covered topic :)

they have a sharp cut-off due to reflectors,lenses,bulb position etc

Options are
1 read handbook and adjust beams up a smidge, then

2 install brighter bulbs - I have Osram Silverstar and they help
or
3 get hids
or
4 install auxilary driving lamps on the fork legs
or

5) Use your side lamps as high beams by swapping two wires, then aim them up and to the sides.

http://www.triumphrat.net/sprint-forum/91032-highbeam-lowbeam-swap.html

(Yes, I know I still need to post pictures in that thread. I'm going to try to snap some tomorrow night.)

·
Registered
357 Posts
I have to say the lights on the new 09 are nearly perfect. They are slightly wider and a tad brighter (it seems) than my 06 was, but the difference is they came aimed very well from the factory. I haven't even put on auxiliary lights.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
lights

thats interesting - would you say they are 'pointing' in a better direction? are the bulbs the same 09/06? i parked next to my mates 09 last night and the light from the dipped setting seemed the same shape and 'colour' when projected. On riding home i felt very insecure on tight dark bends as i couldnt see round them

·
Premium Member
9,047 Posts
The projector lens geometry was changed sometime in late 07 early 08. I have not been able to determine the difference in a side by side comparison.

They can not be brighter because the bulbs and lens thickness are the same.

As for the aiming. I have no information that they are aimed at the factory. The customer pays for the assembly and pre-delivery adjustments as part of the purchase price. If your new bike has improperly aimed headlights, take it back to the dealer and make them do it correctly. They could have overlooked it, or you are a tad heavy and have not set your sag correctly.

·
Registered
357 Posts
The "brighter" feel could just be my error, or it might be right. I know for a fact the dealer didn't set up my 06 for me. I am sure the dealer did set up my 09 if they are not set at the factory like Honda and other brands do. My pattern is far wider on the 09 (might be the lights, might be the adjustment) and the cut off seems perfect for my weight now.

·
Registered
162 Posts
For some odd reason, I am perfectly happy with my 05 ST's headlights. I dont know if the previous owner re-aimed them or put in different bulbs, but the light pattern is spread pretty wide, decently bright and doesnt fall off sharply in the corners like everyone says they do.

*shrug* :confused:

·
Registered
0 Posts
JonnyThrice, Do you ride in darkness in the twisty hills much? That's where the poor design becomes obvious. Other than that I find the stock lights fine.

I had my '07 (manufactured in '06) and '08 (manufactured in '08) light assemblies off the bike and side by side and spent half an hour trying to find a difference. I shone my torch into every accessible nook and cranny. There may well be a difference but the shape of the rear of the lens (can't see inside), the deflectors and every other part I could see were the same. All numbers I could see stamped on the various parts were the same. The light globes were the same. IMHO, there's no difference.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I adjusted mine as far apart as possible so that there wasn't a dark spot in the middle and they are much better

as for the xenon bulbs on Ebay don't bother tried them and then put the stock bulbs back in

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
lights

thanks y'all for your comments - i'll try the route of widening the beam to start with. mates 09 bike has the same problem, despite dealer assuring him lights had been improved from when the bike first came out -in 05? I wasnt sure if mine was the improved version - or whether in fact they had never improved.
despite being a lover of pies and pasties down here in devon, i dont think my 80kg would effect the lights going round a corner...i hope

·
Registered
203 Posts
Hi,

mates 09 bike has the same problem, despite dealer assuring him lights had been improved from when the bike first came out -in 05?
'09 shouldn't have the problem. Last year I'd got '08 model for comparison with my '06 and one of criteria was lights. They were really improved.

If I had '08+ I wouldn't change to HID on high beam like I had to do in mine to see sth in the dark.
HID really do the job and now I'm satisfied with lights in my bike.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
lights

Thanks Tom - i'd be interested to know what other criteria you had for comparison and how they both did...
Now HID lights - are they the ones that need extra bits n pieces with them to work? did you do anything else to improve the lights?
cheers
ps whilst i am at it where is the shock rebound adjustment 0 laid out on the drive with handbook last night and couldnt find it - is it a straight head or allen key?
cheers again

·
Registered
203 Posts
Hi,

Thanks Tom - i'd be interested to know what other criteria you had for comparison and how they both did...
It was only short general comparison. I wrote a test after 30000km of '06 for Polish bike magazine and was given '08 for few days to see that it's much better ;)
I concerned on entertained changes - lights, windscreen, handlebars (riding comfort). The most important of them is IMHO lights improvement (in my '06 I installed Genmar risers, so it's not so different to new handlebars).
They change the seat too, but I prefer '06 rather than the last version ;)
Another change is ignition maps. It's not obvious for people who don't ride sprint daily, but new engine seems to be smoother than the "old" one especially on low rotation speed. My friend who rides another '06 ST had exactly the same feeling.

Now HID lights - are they the ones that need extra bits n pieces with them to work? did you do anything else to improve the lights?
I don't know details and English names of this electrical equipment (sorry), but the set was comleted of parts bought by my dealer and they installed it in my bike during standars service maintenance.
It was installed the way that I can uninstall HID by myself and change it to standard H7 every time I want (afer hours of fairing de- and installation ;) )
I haven't tried other options - high beam was so dark that I gave up the fight.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts