Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone changed the position of the gear lever on their ST1050? Do you adjuct the tie rod on the linkage or move the clamp round on the input shaft as on bikes with no linkage? I've just got some new boots and I'm struggling to get my toe under the lever!

·
Registered
181 Posts
When I did it, I think I did a little of both. Moved it one notch on the shaft then used the linkage to fine tune the position. Feels much better and my shifts are much smoother now.

·
Registered
214 Posts
I initially moved the lever on the shaft but suffered from some dodgy downshifts, so I realigned the two dot marks on the shaft and lever and then adjusted the linkage.
I could only adjust the linkage from one end i.e took the gearbox end off the gearbox and rotated it around on the link. I couldn't get the locknut at the lever end undone.
I've got long legs which tends to tilt my toes down and the previous owner had the lever set way too high for me.

·
Premium Member
24,384 Posts
Welcome mat out

Hi and a warm welcome to the forum Gary:)

Don and I ask all our noobs to please read our forum stickies it helps you know how we run the joint:)

Enjoy the forum Gazza.

DaveM:cool:

·
Registered
554 Posts
Haven't done it on the Sprint yet (need to do it) but did it on my last one, same type of linkage.
I would adjust the rod as a first option.
As far as I know the best result should be when the clamp + gearshifter and the rod are as close as possible to 90 degrees to eachother and the clamp and gearshifter are as close as possible to being parallel.
Also, make sure the rod doesn't touch the walls of the tunnel through the frame when the gearshifter is operated.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks all, I've done it now. Took the footrest off to get at the locknut at that end of the tie bar, sprayed a bit of GT85 on both ends and hey presto, easy adjustment. I don't think it's possible to get at the locknut without removing the footrest, though.

·
Premium Member
4,566 Posts
Has anyone changed the position of the gear lever on their ST1050? Do you adjuct the tie rod on the linkage or move the clamp round on the input shaft as on bikes with no linkage? I've just got some new boots and I'm struggling to get my toe under the lever!
Moved it 1 or 2 notches to lower the lever. I find with the Trumpies, I miss 5-6 every now and then unless I set the lever low. Helps with preloading (and therefore a quicker shift) as advised by the California Superbike School :)

Russ

·
Registered
19 Posts
I need to adjust mine, I'm guessing you need to slack off both lock nuts? It's a tad high for me (being a crane fly in my spare time), and I've missed upshifts and realised I've not released enough when trying to drop a couple in quick succession.

Moved it 1 or 2 notches to lower the lever. I find with the Trumpies, I miss 5-6 every now and then unless I set the lever low. Helps with preloading (and therefore a quicker shift) as advised by the California Superbike School :)

Russ
Do you shift clutchless? I find that the Sprint shifts upwards a lot better without using the clutch at all.

·
Premium Member
16,670 Posts
Russell is dead to us. He's on BMW GS now. ;)

Cheers,
-Kit

1 - 11 of 11 Posts