Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys,

New to the forum and relatively new to road biking! Mod 2 is approaching fast and, as such, I've been starting to look at what my first big bike should be (already been looking for six months truth be told!). I owned and rode a 125cc dirt bike as a young teenager for a number of years and am currently cutting about on a CB125R, must admit I've been bored of it since the moment I got it so looking forward to trading up. I'm 26 and I've been driving on the road 9 years, I'm a safe driver, never had a bump or crash, never had any points or speeding tickets etc.

Over the last few months in my lessons I've been riding an SV650, lovely bike but a few things I have decided my ideal first bike would need to have different.

1. Fairing (with crash bungs for the inevitable drop). I live in Scotland where the weather is often less than warm. The SV has been fine in town but pretty uncomfortable above 50mph for me. Also plan on doing tours once my experience ad confidence is built up a bit.

2. Size. I am 6' 4", I desperately do not want a small sized bike. The SV is a little cramped, knees start hurting after about 45 mins. I also hate the look of adventure bikes, though I understand these are often a bit more spacious. Unfortunately out of the question though due to the style.

3. Capability. I actually wish I had never bought the 125 as I have only had it a couple of months and stand to lose a good wack part exchanging it. Learning through experience, I don't want a bike that I will have to get rid of in 6 months time again only to lose more money unnecessarily.

4. ABS, again Scottish roads often not the greatest and I want to be safe.

5. Not too expensive. Comprehensive insurance is a disaster financially so will have to be TPFT. Therefore the bike cannot cost an arm and a leg just in case!

With that all being said, it would seem sport touring is ideal for me, fairings, slightly larger size etc. I have found a great deal on an ST 1050. The thing that is putting me off is the power. I have looked at insurance and it is doable from that point.

I am not an idiot and am not interested in going the fastest with a MotoGP lean angle etc. I would actually prefer the bike to be a bit less powerful because then it would be perfect! I am confident I wouldn't push the bike beyond my experience, I actually feel I would ride it slower than a 650 because I will be a lot more wary of it! I'm more worried about it having me off through a clumsy beginner mistake with the throttle etc. Losing the back end on gravel and things like that. I also do not want to be terrified of the bike and not want to ride it! The bike I'm looking at is cheap, has crash bungs installed, has decent wind protection, would be good for touring, would probably fit me in terms of size, has ABS, and doubt I will ever want any more power. I also LOVE Triumphs but I I that's not crucial info at this stage! Video reviews I have watched seem to say the bike handles nicely and is easy to ride as long as you keep your right hand reined in. So really only the torque/power causing an accident, or me reacting poorly to a situation and making it 10x worse because of the bikes capabilities that is putting me off.

One thing I have thought of is taking it in to Triumph once I get it and having them restrict it down to 90bhp or so electronically (assuming this is possible?) I think I read somewhere they can do this. I also plan on being a fair weather biker, sticking to the dry and using it only as a weekend toy and occasional tourer, not for commuting in all weathers or riding in the dark.

Apologies for this mammoth post, wanted to give as much info as possible. Any thoughts on my current situation MUCH appreciated!

Thanks,

Patrick

·
Registered
965 Posts
I have put 85,000 miles on a ST 1050. I've had my Tiger 800 for 12,000 miles, so far.

My thoughts are - you should consider a Tiger 800. :) It fits all you are talking about except the looks part. You don't see that when riding and it is better than the Sprint on less than smooth pavement.

I also think the ST would be fine. I'm only 5' 10'' so I can't be sure of the size for you, but expect it will fit fine. It was a little tall for me at stand still. It won't take a long test ride for you to tell. I thought the riding position was perfect. I like having my feet right under me with a slight forward lean to the bars. A perfect position at speed.

As for the power, I like the characteristics of the triple. Not quite the torque of a twin or the top end rush of a four, but a happy medium. Plenty of power when you want it, but with manners that are easily controlled. I don't see anything that would catch you off guard.

I'm not sure about resale where you are but here, good used ones are found at good prices and when you decide the ride of the Tiger is better for you, you should be able to sell the ST for near what you paid for it.

Good luck to you. Whatever your choice, enjoy it.

Edited to add - Welcome to the forum!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the advice brgsprint! Will definitely have a look at the Tiger but I feel the adventure-style aesthetics may get in the way! Glad to hear the triple engine is friendly, I have this image of me going over a bump and blipping the throttle slightly only to fall off the back. Having watched people on them though it seems the ST is fairly polite unless you ask for the power which I would certainly not be doing for the first few months at least! Nice to hear about riding position too, semi-upright position is one of the things I like about sport tourers, I definitely don't fancy the tucked up supersport position, and with 34" inside leg I think I'd look like some giant frog haha!

·
Registered
369 Posts
Try sitting on a 1050 ST while on the center stand and I think you will find the seat to peg measure very cramped for a 34" leg. Might not seem bad at first but as the miles roll on it will be very noticeable. I have a 30" leg and been riding 50+ years, love my sprint riding position but while they are not rear sets, the pegs are not set directly in line with your bum and will result in quite a knee bend. Also, at 6' 4" you'll not experience great wind protection, even with aftermarket screens. My ST fits me perfectly but I'm not sure it is a good fit for a tall rider and I think there are other bikes like the mentioned Tiger that would be a better fit for a one bike rider.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Try sitting on a 1050 ST while on the center stand and I think you will find the seat to peg measure very cramped for a 34" leg. Might not seem bad at first but as the miles roll on it will be very noticeable. I have a 30" leg and been riding 50+ years, love my sprint riding position but while they are not rear sets, the pegs are not set directly in line with your bum and will result in quite a knee bend. Also, at 6' 4" you'll not experience great wind protection, even with aftermarket screens. My ST fits me perfectly but I'm not sure it is a good fit for a tall rider and I think there are other bikes like the mentioned Tiger that would be a better fit for a one bike rider.
Thanks for the input UlsterSpud. Gonna have a look at the Tiger if I can find one nearby. In terms of the Sprint, how does it behave for a relatively new rider? Is it manageable/somewhat forgiving? Obviously pinning the throttle is going to end in tears but if you take it steady, keep the revs low and are respectful or the machine?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thought I might add in to this thread some advice I got from a YouTuber called SussexBiker in case anyone reads this in the future. He filmed his first ride on the Sprint (
) well worth a watch. I messaged him the same info posted above, his response:

"Hi Patrick, I'll try my best to help bearing in mind it was back in 2013 I rode one! The bike in the video wasn't mine and at that point I had only had my full bike licence two years and I think I was more worried about dropping it bearing in mind I'm a short arse. Looking at your post you won't have that problem.
I seem to remember that it was easy to ride and had me at ease fairly quickly. The engine like all triples is a peach and I found it comfy could definitely munch the miles on one. If you can find a dealer who will let have a cheeky test ride to see if it's for you. Good luck in your search and remember I know it's a cliche but the throttle goes both ways :)"

·
Registered
369 Posts
Thanks for the input UlsterSpud. Gonna have a look at the Tiger if I can find one nearby. In terms of the Sprint, how does it behave for a relatively new rider? Is it manageable/somewhat forgiving? Obviously pinning the throttle is going to end in tears but if you take it steady, keep the revs low and are respectful or the machine?
The Sprint is very manageable for a fairly accomplished rider but does command respect like any litre machine. As that test rider said, the throttle twists in both directions and a smart rider will have no issues. One comment on his video though is that he talked about how comfortable the bike is but he had only travelled a few miles and for about five minutes. I find mine very comfortable and have put in many 1000km days but comfort is subjective and so variable that it would be ace if you could get a test ride on one as he suggested.
Another bike you could consider is the 1000 V Strom. I read many good things about it over the years and I recall that the earlier models did not look quite so Adventure as the newer ones and it may fit your frame better.
So many choices these days so take your time and choose wisely, then you are less likely to want/need to trade early into ownership. No bike will fit you perfectly but I don't think it is a good idea to buy a bike strictly on looks and then try to re purpose it to suit. Can be very costly and seldom works well.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The Sprint is very manageable for a fairly accomplished rider but does command respect like any litre machine. As that test rider said, the throttle twists in both directions and a smart rider will have no issues. One comment on his video though is that he talked about how comfortable the bike is but he had only travelled a few miles and for about five minutes. I find mine very comfortable and have put in many 1000km days but comfort is subjective and so variable that it would be ace if you could get a test ride on one as he suggested.
Another bike you could consider is the 1000 V Strom. I read many good things about it over the years and I recall that the earlier models did not look quite so Adventure as the newer ones and it may fit your frame better.
So many choices these days so take your time and choose wisely, then you are less likely to want/need to trade early into ownership. No bike will fit you perfectly but I don't think it is a good idea to buy a bike strictly on looks and then try to re purpose it to suit. Can be very costly and seldom works well.
I'll take a look at the V Strom too, thanks. Totally get what your saying about subjectivity in terms of comfort, definitely gonna have a good sit on it before committing. I'm hopeful though, did some research into the fit for a taller rider when I was reading up about the bike and guys with with the same inside leg as me (34") and height seem to get on okay.

Totally get what your saying about the looks too, if I was just to go by looks I would get a Daytona 675 because they are GORGEOUS, or a Thruxton. Not overly keen on the headlight setup for the ST so it's not actually my favourite looking bike out there anyway, but it still gets the heartbeat raised to look at which is important to me as it's purely a toy and not a tool so I want to get something that excites me!

Realistically no bike is going to tick every box but i think of all the different models I've seen the ST probably ticks the most, just the increased risk of an accident was obviously a major consideration. But the consensus seems that it's not an unfriendly bike and as long as I'm wary of the power it should be manageable

·
Registered
3,329 Posts
I have a 955i Tiger and it's pretty roomy and is considerably more docile than the 1050 Sprint.
At 6' 4" you might really want a big Tiger with a Corbin seat, it's way up in the air.
Then again, the Sprint is awfully nice...

·
Registered
570 Posts
The Sprint ST 1050 is a good bike. Pegs can be lowered for more leg room, power is smooth and predictable, no sudden spikes or peaky engine behavior. It’s not a bucking bronco to be afraid of and not FJ 1300 big. It’s not slow by any means and there is tons of aftermarket parts to suit your tastes. A Tiger 1050 is a taller ST basically just tuned for less power but has a ton of legroom.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts