Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of October's Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I spent a couple of hours yesterday putting on the SS Tail Tidy Kit, as well as the Motodynamic Smoked Sequential LED Tail Light. I am quite pleased with the aesthetic results.

Here is my short review of the SS Tail Tidy:
Quality of the kit is subpar. The plastic piece that covers the diamond shaped hole from the factory whale tail barely fits, and it took a lot of adjustments to get it to look OK. Additionally, there is an approximately 5mm vertical gap near the most anterior/inferior portion of the kit. I've read that it is for the wires to be routed. I ended up cutting the LED indicators that came with the Tail Tidy off because they looked cheap, so all I ran was a tiny wire for the license plate LED into the rear section of the bike. The hardware it comes with (bolt, washer, hex nut) was difficult to use, and bolt seemed short, so I ended up getting longer bolts from home depot. Additionally the washers are bigger than the plastic hole, so I was unable to install it myself, and required the assistance of my friend who used needle nose pliers to get the washer into place while I threaded the bolt through. It was far from plug and play. Splicing the wire for the LED for the license plate was tough too as the wire was reallllly damn small. Overall, we got it to fit, although it took a lot longer than we expected. I noticed some flickering of the LED and the lights that illuminate the speedo/Triumph sign up front feel a little dimmer. I'm unsure on what is going on there. I will post a picture of that later with questions on how to trouble shoot!

Motodynamic Smoked Sequential LED Tail Light:
Complete opposite install when compared to the Tail Tidy. It was plug and play, fits well, and looks great. The smoked lens looks really good with color scheme of the bike. The LEDs are way brighter than stock, almost blinding. When you depress the brake, it flashes three times before going solid. Definitely a solid upgrade. I also feel that the sequential turn signals work really well (even without rear indicators that protrude). I am going to wait for some Watsen LED indicators for the front, and I'll likely add some out for additional security.

Overall, the combination of the two look really clean in my opinion. I think at some point I am going to fabricate my own tail tidy or have a friend with 3D printer help out in making something that fits better.

Let me know what you guys think!

Before:

After:

After Wash/Wax:

·
Registered
55 Posts
Very nice looking Rx you have there neal540. I too have the Motodynamic integrated taillight. I mainly got it for the added safety of the rapid pulsing of the light when hitting the brakes. Have fun :)

1 - 2 of 2 Posts