Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey,

Just wanted to see if anyone else is having this issue.
I just bought my t100 brand new and after a month of driving around the city ive noticed that the rear brake is squeaking. Front not so much, but the rear is significantly louder.
The brake pads are fine and the brakes are really responsive and smooth. Ive also checked check for wear and it feels fine.

Is anyone else running into this problem?

Cheers

·
Premium Member
20,740 Posts
Applying some anti-squeal grease to the back of the pads will cure that. For sources Google "anti squeal grease" or "anti squeal paste".

You can also use a thin coat of some other grease but it must be a high temperature one. The brakes can get very hot and ordinary grease will melt and run and contaminate the friction material area.

·
Registered
1,786 Posts
Applying some anti-squeal grease to the back of the pads will cure that. For sources Google "anti squeal grease" or "anti squeal paste".

You can also use a thin coat of some other grease but it must be a high temperature one. The brakes can get very hot and ordinary grease will melt and run and contaminate the friction material area.
+1, as per allways top post and dead right.

Plasma

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
Louder pipes. Just kidding.

I think we all have had that problem at one time or another. Forchetto gave the best way to take care of it.

·
Registered
673 Posts
Mine squeaked from new and it was an alignment issue.

How warm/hot is the brake caliper getting after use and is there still some free play there? Mine was a lot hotter than the front even when not being used and with no free play whatsoever. I tested it for five miles not using the rear brake once and it was well hot when I stopped, front was only just warm.

Took quite a while to get true alignment of the back wheel, now that's sorted so is the brake........

·
Registered
41 Posts
My new T100 is doing the same rear brake squeal. Not every use, certainly, but it has happened maybe a dozen times in the two weeks I've had the bike.

I'll try the grease.

·
Registered
2,026 Posts
Permatex makes some great stuff for this purpose. It used to be in a spray can (harder to find these days), but I see mostly the packets these days. A thin film on the back of the pads has worked every time for me, be it a motorcycle or rickety old British car.

·
Registered
233 Posts
When it's time to change your pads, anywhere from 3 to 5k miles depending on your riding style, try ebc organic Kevlar pads, they last much longer than the standard fitment nissin pads and ebc coat the back of the pads so no squeal without the need for grease :)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts