Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Triumph fans

I have a street triple r with 2000 KM on the clock.

All going very well apart from the front brakes squeaking all the time. Maybe they are not bed in properly so I tried some hard stops from 60km/h but it still is squeaking. Very annoying as I hate noisy brakes :mad:

My question is: do any other riders with the R notice this or is just mine?

·
Registered
183 Posts
Well the brakes on my R will squeak under hard braking. I will say that the noise has continued to decrease the more I ride. Maybe look into methods to bead in the brakes or maybe clean the calipers brake pad dust could be the culprit. Since the R has Daytona brakes maybe stop pop over to the Daytona fourm and see if they have anything posted about noisy breaks.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I have the same problem. But only on slow easy stops where I notice the sound the most. I am wondering if it's just part of the breaking in of the pads. I have 1500 miles.
I'm in the same boat - brakes started squeaking around 3-400 miles ago, am around 1500 now.

Only at slow speed too - well, maybe at higher speeds and I just can't hear them <grin>

Seriously though, at moderate breaking to slow down no noise, but come to a stop at a stop sign from 20mph - 0mph, it's quite shrill
-t

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ok sounds normal for bedding the brakes maybe. Because the noise Iam talking about is at low speeds like when you come to a stop at traffic lights.

Hopefully they will quieten down with a few k's on them.

·
Premium Member
4,788 Posts
Or, some of those affected could check with their dealers to see if there's a real fix for it, and/or have them get Triumph working on it if there's not one already.

That's the only way they know about problems...if customers report them. Don't count on them seeing it online.

·
Registered
267 Posts
Strangely I have the same exact issue with brakes squeaking under hard breaking... I have about 1200 miles on mine and they've been squeaking since day one.

Not too concerned about it though, just kind of annoying sometimes.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Looks like it's a common enough problem.. Mine's been doing the same thing since I got it, 3400 miles later & it's still there. It's not there all the time, but it happens under both light & hard braking.

·
Registered
582 Posts
I had my brakes checked out just last week for noises while at the dealer. Though the gave it a clean bill of health they said changing to something like a EBC pad would improve performance and would probably get ride of the noises.

·
Registered
582 Posts
Yup.

To be completely truthful after riding an 09' Daytona I'm really not happy with the Striples brakes. Unfortunately to go to radial set-up (master cyl and caliper), upgrade the rotors and pads on a non-R Striple is pretty expensive. Daytona forks will run you in the hood of $1,200 but at least you get a suspension upgrade too.

I'm going to try to work around doing all that with a set of EBC sintered double-H pads and ABM's new pedal rotors front and rear. At least the bike already comes with steel lines :)

·
Registered
4 Posts
I have just over 5000km and I still get the squeeking brakes when coming to a slow stop at lights or signs, its annoying but have not been bothered to take it in, as I do not want to be without the bike, maybe when the snow starts flying.

Cheers,

·
Registered
2 Posts
Squeaky brakes are usually a result of dirty brake disks. It can occure by brake dust or even after a couple of gentle brakes.

Try cleaing the disks with some breakcleaner.

let me know if it helped.

Dan3R

·
Registered
14 Posts
Re: STR Brake squeel

My STR started doing this after the first 250-300 miles. Drives me insane. Mentioned it at the 500 service - never heard it since. Normally the cause is dust and a lack of 'Copperslip' or anti squeel compound on the rear of the pads.

·
Registered
36 Posts
I had the same issue on my 2012 str. I just removed the calipers and pads. Cleaned everything with brake cleaner. And put some lube on the bolt holding the pads against the spring. Seems to have fixed the squeaks.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts