Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
476 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This problem started about 150 miles ago and, although it hasn't gotten worse, it hasn't gone away either. I have about 1400 miles on the bike. I can only notice it at slower speeds with medium to light braking force. I feel no difference in stopping power.
No pulsing, so rotor is not warped
No scoring to rotor and no visual evidence of a problem.

Did I get oil on the pads? Can I remove it or should I just buy new pads.

·
Registered
3,086 Posts
Try spraying a little aerosol brake cleaner on the pads where they contact the rotor. It is likely not a problem if there is no scoring of the rotor or if there is no glaze on the rotor AND if the brakes are working fine. Unless it truly drives you nuts, I see no reason to replace the pads. You might want to pull them, if the brake cleaner doesn't help and confirm that they are meeting the rotor uniformly across the face of the pad. If not that can cause a bit of intermittent squeal.

On my Nighthawk I get exactly the same noise under the same conditions - ever since I had new, and supposedly better pads. Some pads just squeak a bit.

Also, some pads tend to squeek in damp weather and if they have been wet recently in can take a very long time for them to completely dry out.

Good luck,

Monte :cool:

·
Registered
1,326 Posts
Squeaking brakes is usually caused by the pads vibrating in the caliper. You can get some anti-squeal to spray on the back side of the pad. It's tacky and lets the pad stick to the caliper enough to eliminate the squeal. Available at any autoparts. Don't go crazy with it, a little bit on the contact point is all that is needed. My rear pads squealed until I added some anti-squeal (spray on can).

·
Registered
5,524 Posts
Al has a good solution. For years I've used an anti vibration spray when I install new pads. I misplaced the stuff the last time I replaced pads on the W650 and put the pads in without using it. What a screamer! I immediately stopped by NAPA for a can of the stuff, went home, and did the job right.

As Al says, use sparingly, and I'll emphasize ..... on the backing plate, not on the brake lining. I know, I know, but if you don't say it ........................................................

·
Registered
970 Posts
Those squeaks can be very annoying... Now, this is more of a question than answer.... Years ago squeaky brakes often meant the leading edge(s) of the shoes needed to be chamfered to stop them chattering. I wonder if the same thing happens to disk pads sometimes?
In the past i have had squeaky pads and could not 'see' any reason for it.

·
Registered
669 Posts
A very common problem with the Yamaha V Stars. Some turn the pads around, and some bevel the leading edge to eliminate the problem. Eventually the problem is solved once and for all......when aftermarket replacement pads are used. :upthumb:

·
Registered
679 Posts
Motley is on the money there.
My back brake had a loud squeal most embarrasing. To cut a long story short I fixed it with new pads EBC sintered. No more squeal and much better grab than the stock pads.
I was so impressed I bought matching set for the front. While it will not do a stoppy it will almost lock the wheel on a good surface.Now the only squeal is from the front tyre with a firm application of the front brake.

Darcy

1 - 8 of 8 Posts