Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
3,356 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What can I use to bring the black on my engine up to par? The bike was bought used and some parts of the engine are dulled. The engine case in particular looks like more of a dark grey. Thanks!

·
Registered
1,995 Posts
I have a product made by S 100...it's a engine brightener made for blacked out motors. I have also heard of a product called back to black.

While I have used neither of these I am told they are both good product's.

Any HD dealer should have the S 100 product.

·
Registered
1,598 Posts
try to find a can of PIG SPIT' aerosol .makes the black engines look like new,it's even better than back To Black.Wash the engine ,rinse well ,dry and spray the Pig Spit on liberally .Also works wonders on the black painted frame,chainguard etc.
Walmart used to carry this stuff,it's big with the chopper crowd.

·
Registered
3,753 Posts
My HD garage mate swears by Pig Spit. When I bought my bike it wa a Bonne Blk- not any more. The dealer said (it works) clean the engine & spray ti w/ WD 40 . I do it on the black that is left now & then. Easy spray ot on - wipe any excess & go . Pig stuff is similar- got some silicone stuff or something in it & more $$ Black easy - imagine dull alluminum ? :cool:

·
Registered
1,408 Posts
Back in the day, we used Armor All on black motors and pipes with great success. I used a paint brush to apply it and then buffed it out with a soft cloth after it dried. It worked especially well on black dirt bike pipes that got mud caked on them. It dissolved the baked on mud and made it easier to clean the next time...

·
Registered
456 Posts
I can vouch for the S-100 engine brightner...It also comes
with special aplicator tip that atomizes the droplet stream.
Overspray wipes off with no residue and a single application
will last several washes. It works great on black cases as well as black jugs and even the black exhaust found on dirtbikes...GREAT STUFF

·
Registered
105 Posts
Pig Spit worked great for me.

·
Registered
2,472 Posts
I've tried all of the silicone based S100, Motul, and Pig 'Spit' (and/or 'Pig Snot'), but I haven't tried Armorall on metal/steel/aluminum parts. I'm curious now because I just read on another motorcycle board somebody sing the praises of Armorall as a protectorate and beautifier for his bike.
Unfortunately every can-o-spit or snot I tried had a defective nozzle.... EVERY can!?!

(LOL, I guess spell check doesn't recognize "protectant"..... I hope the rather cool sounding "protectorate" is a correct alternative.)

·
Registered
679 Posts
On 2006-12-18 08:15, Silverado57 wrote:
Shine & Go from Motul is the same concept.
Works great, kind of pricey.
I use the Motul "Wash and Wax" it's pricey too but worth it as it lets the bugs just about fall off.
The black cases get a nice shine to them as well.

·
Registered
240 Posts
I've always been told Armor All ultimately dried out black plastics and have stuck with Back to Black for most black plastic and rubber revival. I didn't think B to B was applicable to painted metal but I guess I could go read the label in the garage.

Think I'll see if there is some S100 at the HD dealer nearby if B to B says no metal.

·
Registered
324 Posts
Pig Spit sounds like it wouldn't work on a vegetarian's bike. Is there a politically correct version of this product? Like Ocean Spit or something...

·
Registered
59 Posts
use semigloss interior paint (prefereably sherman williams) applied with nylon paint brush, make sure you clean and prime the engine first; then, sit back, throw back cold guiness and realize you just cut the value of the bike down 50% :-D

·
Registered
140 Posts
a few companies make the foaming tire shinew stuf, trust me, it will work well on your black motor, just as cheap and easy is WD 40, but remember all are water based so you will have to reapply after a good scrubing

·
Registered
3,086 Posts
The S100 engine brightner works fine. So does common silicone spray at about a third of the price. Try it and compare.

For me they both last fine between washings, and don't draw dust like WD40 does. My theory is that I can't see any difference so why pay the freight for something that works no better than silicone.

BTW: after cleaning faux leather bags, like my Willie and Max bags, with Pro Honda Spray Cleaner and Polish (THE best all around polish by far!) I let the bags sit for a day. Then I spray them with silicone aerosol, rub aroung the excess, and they look great, tend not to build up dust and the bugs don't stick well to them.

Also, while I'm on a roll, :-D If you routinely clean your windshield with the Pro Honda cleaner the bugs will not stick nearly as badly. They still stick but come off easier with Glass Plus or other liquid cleaner that is OKd for plastic. Follow that with another coating of the Pro Honda and the bugs are really not as big a pain.

Monte :cool:

1 - 18 of 18 Posts