Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know that many people prefer gearing the bike shorter, so it would mean a smaller sprocket up front and a bigger one in the back, but has anyone ever geared our bikes taller? I think that with the amount of torque and power, it would be a great idea to gear it taller. So i guess my next question would be, How can i do this, and is it even possible, i topped out at 150 the other day, and if i can get alittle more out of the bike i'd be hell of alot happier. Now keep in mind i used to have a 03 Yamaha R1, i just want to bridge the gap alittle. Some might think that 150 is to fast, and all that blah blah blah, but i would just like to shift alittle less than i have to now, and maybe even get alittle more gas mileage. Any input is welcome.:cool:

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Oh yeah, what are the stock sprocket sizes, and if anyone has a combo of sprockets and chain that would work for what i want, feel free to post links. And whats the difference between 520 and 530 conversions????????????:eek:

·
Registered
2,298 Posts
www.gearingcommander.com has all the answers you seek. Then get a Tuneboy to recalibrate the Speedo.

For my money, any road I can do a 150mph on is boring, and going 158 won't make it any more fun ( or pleasant on a naked bike ) but it's your bike and your money.

Stock 530 chain is designed to have a long life, the DID 520ZVM2 is a premium 520 that probably would work just as well, maybe even better, than stock.

·
Registered
129 Posts
I would consider going the other way around. I have no interest in going 150mph but I would have interest in boosting the low-end.

So would you then go down in the front and up in the rear? If you went down one in the front and up one rear, for example, could you still use the same chain?

What would be the positive and negative of doing this? Any recommendations?

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well i believe going down in front and up in the rear is gearing it shorter. I'm interested in going up in the front and down in the rear. I live in colorado, and don't get me wrong i love the twisties here, but there are a fair share of straights too. I just wanna open it up alittle.

·
Registered
420 Posts
You wanna go FASTER than 150 on public roads?

Why would you want to re-gear it backwards? Don't you like the feeling of acceleration? The drive out of corners? What is the point of just turning the throttle and laying back and taking a nap and wait to see how fast it will go? :rolleyes:

·
Registered
129 Posts
Well i believe going down in front and up in the rear is gearing it shorter. I'm interested in going up in the front and down in the rear. I live in colorado, and don't get me wrong i love the twisties here, but there are a fair share of straights too. I just wanna open it up alittle.
"Open it up a little?" You are already going 150mph on public roads.

Is that just a huge boring drag...?

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Well i assume everyone here is on a s3, and the last time i checked, it doesn't take long to get to 150. But the point i'm trying to make is, it just feels to me, that there is plenty of torque to accommodate the taller gearing, and anyone with further information on how to re gear my bike, please help me out. The public roads that i occasionally hit are well maintained and can go miles without seeing another vehicle, so its not that bad. I used to be able to do 179 on my r1, so i'm goign through withdraws.:eek:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts