Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all. I have a 2004 speedmaster. She is in need of new sprockets and chain.. now, I have been told by a few that i MUST only use genuine sprockets as the rear is rubber cushioned,, or something to that effect.I can find a diagram to understand how its put together.
Then I have also been told that using the after market is fine. that you can buy the cushions.. I dont know who to believe. Can anyone help me with this dilemma

cheers.
Deb

·
Premium Member
3,796 Posts
The cushions on the rear sprocket are built in to the rear Hub.
And they can be replaced. That should not effect your choice of sprocket at all.

The Original front Sprocket is made with rubber cushioning in the manufacturing process. I've used after market front sprockets (without any rubber cushioning) on my TBirds with no ill results.

YMMV as usual.

·
Premium Member
16,670 Posts
On the rear, the sprocket attaches to a carrier. The carrier engages a cush drive to then turn the wheel, exactly like 99% of the chain-drive bikes out there. The sprocket itself is all steel. (Should be, anyway. You can get aluminum, but that wears out way quicker & is really better suited for a trck bike.)

Up front, Triumph adds some rubber to the sprocket itself in order to damp vibration. Like Denny, I did this on a triple, but I couldn't tell the difference between the rubber-padded Triumph sprocket & the plain steel JT unit. My wallet could definitely tell the difference. :D

Cheers, HTH,
-Kit

1 - 3 of 3 Posts