Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,370 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey ya'll,
I am just coming up on my 18k service and am going to need to change out my sprockets and chain. I am currently in Phx, Az. and was wondering what the average cost of replacing them was? Where did you get your parts, brand, model? Etc, etc.
Thanks for your input in advance!
Cheers,
Mark

·
Registered
191 Posts
if your out of warranty, id do it yourself. Its super easy on the speed 3. You dont need a stand or anything...though it makes it a little easier. I have faith in you!!!:D

·
Registered
1,370 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks lads, I'm still on warranty, but what about cost? For a site of S3's and no replies?:confused: Don't you lot ride enough to have your sprockets and chain changed? Odd...?
Cheers,
Mark

·
Registered
191 Posts
I do ride enough, i'm just too poor to pay the dealer to do something so easy. Id much rather pay the supplier for better sprockets and a better chain. (vortexracing.com):p You goto the dealer for warranty...and your only getting the OEM stuff, which is good, but not the best.

though I only have 8000 miles on my S3 since I bought it March 19 2008. But I think thats quite a bit for a single father who drove a company van to and from work everyday. Im laid off now, but with my next job, unless they give me a truck to drive, my speedy WILL be my primary mode of transport!:p

·
Registered
113 Posts
I would think any dealer would sell and install accessory parts if you order them through him. If you want to save a few bucks, replace the chain and sprockets yourself using a clip type master link. (You can cut the old chain off with a dremel tool.) Then drive the bike, gently, to the dealer to have a proper master link installed. If have that done as part of some other work, inspection for example, they will probably do it quite cheaply.

·
Registered
458 Posts
I do ride enough, i'm just too poor to pay the dealer to do something so easy. Id much rather pay the supplier for better sprockets and a better chain. (vortexracing.com):p You goto the dealer for warranty...and your only getting the OEM stuff, which is good, but not the best. :p
Yes, but doesn't vortexracing make aluminum sprockets? In which case you'll never get 18k miles out of them. The steel ones are built to last.

·
Registered
1,370 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for the insight lads. I think when me warranty is up I'll definitely do all the work meself. I found a standard OEM kit online for $174 and the rest are $190 and up.
Cheers!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts