Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just changed over my 17 tooth 2003 Bonneville T100 front sprocket for an 18 tooth. Was hoping for a reasonable drop in rpm's through the gears which is exactly what I got. The swap-out only took an hour to accomplish after watching a short video (including exhaust pipe removal, moving wheel forward)

Used to switch into 3rd gear at 40 mph, 4th at at 50 mph and and 5th gear at 60 mph. All gear changes were made at 4,000 rpm. With the new sprocket and at those same speed changes, revs have dropped by approx. 500 rpm's except for 5th gear which only dropped by 250.

All in all, a quick and inexpensive swap (35.00), and a good result. Definately like the lower revs.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I have a 2005 and a 2007 Bonneville T100 and I changed the front sprockets on both from 18T to 19T. It's perfect now for longer distance touring. also better for shorter runs.

·
Registered
3,014 Posts
having a 6 spd T120 i put a 41 tooth on the rear to minimize shifting + it centered the rear axle with the OE length 100 link chain allowing more adjustment.

·
Registered
35 Posts
I also did this swap on my 2011 Bonnie SE (Mag Wheel) to a 19t sprocket and it has made a massive difference.

I always felt I needed to change down again when I was in 5th to find nowt there. Now my cruising and top end speeds have really improved. Love it - a job well worth doing.

·
Registered
333 Posts
19 T up front is a poor man's 6 speed conversion. Worth every dime for the part (yeah you can re use the washer). Worth the hour or so for the job. Best bang for the buck mod. It is really maintenance depending where in the life of the bike you do the swap.

·
Administrator
3,115 Posts
Just changed over my 17 tooth 2003 Bonneville T100 front sprocket for an 18 tooth. Was hoping for a reasonable drop in rpm's through the gears which is exactly what I got. The swap-out only took an hour to accomplish after watching a short video (including exhaust pipe removal, moving wheel forward)

Used to switch into 3rd gear at 40 mph, 4th at at 50 mph and and 5th gear at 60 mph. All gear changes were made at 4,000 rpm. With the new sprocket and at those same speed changes, revs have dropped by approx. 500 rpm's except for 5th gear which only dropped by 250.

All in all, a quick and inexpensive swap (35.00), and a good result. Definately like the lower revs.
Same bike, but I went to the 19T for even nicer cruising rpms. Simple change for big improvements.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts