Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
thursday

Well I've never done a trip report before but I've enjoyed reading other peoples so I thought I'd contribute one for a change. I've got everything in place to report as I go so there will be occasional updates along the way.

I've been planning this trip for a couple weeks it was kind of a spur of the moment thing. the plan is to go from Seattle out to the washington coast and all the way down to San Louis Obispo Ca. and back home through the interior of California, Oregon and Washington. This trip is about a month earlier than I'd normally like to go but the schedule works ok this way. the weather won't be as nice as I'd like, it's expected to rain on the coast tomorrow but that's no reason to NOT go is it? well not for me.

I'm traveling two up on the trusty Sprint with my girlfriend Ely, she's a great travel partner, we went to Yellowstone last summer and had a great time. we intend to camp whenever possible so the bike is pretty loaded.

One last thing for today, work has been quite slow for the last several monthe and as I left the office yesterday to begin my vacation I was told that I was being laid off along with 4 others. I feel bad for all of us but I take solace in the fact that I get to escape for a couple of weeks and not think about it for a while. there isn't anything I can do about it anyway so off we go.

the original plan was to take two weeks for this trip. I was hoping to make it down to Death Valley but due to time constraints decided not to. now the time limits are gone so we'll just play it by ear and see how our butts feel when we get there. this is the longest I'll have been on the bike by several days compaired to previous trips so we'll see how it goes.

·
Premium Member
2004 Daytona 955i, 2018 Indian Roadmaster, 1980 CB650C in resto
17,785 Posts
Sorry about your job. Can't wait to see more pictures and hear more of the story, though!

·
Premium Member
24,199 Posts
Sorry to hear of your job loss. It's happening everywhere unfortunately. By way of consolation, have a great trip!

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
day# 1

We left the house at about 11:30, because we both had things we needed to do in the morning. It was decided to deviate from the planned course of going down the Washington coast and hit the slab all the way down to Longview to save time, besides we’d done the Washington coast before. We did stop in Olympia for lunch at Big Tom’s for a tasty burger, a cool little drive in place with only a drive up window, they came out and took our order since we were on the bike. When we got back on the road I Quickly fell into a food coma and had to stop for a red bull to keep me awake. Yes you apparently can fall asleep while riding a motorcycle, freeways are boring!

lunch at big tom's

Now fully alert and awake, it was on to Longview and the Oregon coast. we crossed into Oregon and on to hwy 30 which was a nice ride with high speed sweepers. It got more interesting when we got on to hwy 47 and 202 fantastic pavement and miles of 20mph turns my favorite! I had to take it pretty easy with the heavy bike but it was great.

Hwy 58, great back road romp

We wound up in Lincoln city at Devils Lake state park right in town although the campground is great. I thought it was supposed to rain over night and didn’t want to put away a wet tent we got a yert, never stayed in one before but looked like fun.

After unpacking the bike we went to look for dinner. The sun was just setting so we decided to grab some Burger king and sit on a bench and watch the sun set. It got cold fast! Back to the camp for showers and bed.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
day#2

The yurt was very cool! I'll stay in more on this trip and it was only $29. it comes with a bunk bed, fold out futon, table and chairs. it was hugely roomy and had lots of character!

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
day#2

Slept pretty good in the yert, got up packed the bike and hit the road it was over cast but I knew the weather was going to turn for the worst eventually. We stopped for breakfast at a local joint in Waldport, which was pretty good. We headed south it was cool and refreshing. We went up to Cape Perpetuia which is a great 2 mile road up to a great viewpoint. I took some video of the ride but it’s to big to post up

Sprintgirl enjoying the view at Cape Perpetuia

The Oregon coast is kind of like going back in time 15 years; I saw a Big Boy, as in Bob’s Big boy restaurant and an A&W restaurant with the car hops and everything and in Coos Bay there was a theater with Rocky Horror Picture show playing…weird.

Shortly after this the rain began to fall…nonstop for the next two+ hours. We stopped for desert in Bandon at a small local bakery and later for gas in Gold beach where we got to hear the tsunami alarm go off! The station attendant said it wasn’t a drill and that an earthquake had occurred off shore. I asked him what do we do now? He replied “can you swim? I (standing there dripping wet) said “ I have been.“ He may have been BS’n us but I don’t know, I never heard anything else about it.

After a long wet ride we arrived in Brookings’s dripping wet. Got a room at the Wild Rivers inn they even gave us a covered parking spot for the bike. We got all our gear off and I have to say the new Firstgear pants I bought worked great not a drop of water got through them. The “see me” fluorescent yellow Olympia jacked worked pretty well as well. Sprintgirl was wearing her Ugg’s which aren’t waterproof by the way.

It’s supposed to rain for the next 3 days, not looking to forward to that but is is what it is. thats all part of sport tourong. Tomorrow we’ll do the avenue of the giants.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Day #3

Well it was a very wet day. For me it began at 2:45 am when I woke up heard the rain outside, I looked out the window and it was pouring! When we got up to go it was still coming down pretty good, but we had to go. All out gear had dried out nicely over the night thankfully. The plan was to head south on 101 and eventually head out to the coast to go down hwy 1. 101 is a nice road until you hit Eureka where it becomes a suburban stop and go mess. We stopped in a little town for lunch and ate at a local diner, I’m sure we were a site to the locals wearing our gear dripping wet. I liked the character of the place, everyone in the place seemed to know each other except the two of us. I’d hoped the rain would have lightened up but it was worse.

I took a scenic route that turned into a dirt road. The Sprint really doesn’t fare well as a dualsport bike, the front tire was trying to go everywhere but where I wanted.

We decided to just make for the next stop which was to be Westport out on the coast . and forgo any stops on the way. It just wasn’t a good day for riding but we had to put in some miles. We did take a short ride down the avenue of the giants because Sprintgirl hadn’t seen it. At Legget we had to decide weather to head down hwy 1 or just make a b-line for civilization, we went for hwy 1 which would have been an all time favorite of mine but for the conditions. Great pavement tight twisties 20, 15 and even 10mph turns! Would have been great but I was taking it really easy , the wet roads and heavy bike making me nervous. At one point I crossed the white line painted on the road and got a pretty good wiggle out of the back tire gave me a scare and wained me to take it easy.

The coast was still beautiful but the riding suffered because of the conditions. The water was beginning to seep through gloves and the collar of my coat and it was getting cold. We arrived in Westport to find there wasn’t anything there but ocean, sand and more rain. We were beginning to think it was a big mistake doing hwy 1. We continued on to Fort Bragg, tired and wet. Hope the weather changes soon. Tomorrow we continue south toward Napa.

Hope things get better!

·
Registered
1,869 Posts
It looks like the weather will be spotty at best for the next few days. Hopefully the roads will stay tolerable enough to enjoy, and the scenery not too foggy.

Thanks for doing the log and the pictures. It's my vicarious spring break.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
weather!

the weather is going to be questionable until tuesday or so... pretty discouraging but you know one day of sunny 70deg weather makes it all forgotten.

hoping for the best.

·
Premium Member
2004 Daytona 955i, 2018 Indian Roadmaster, 1980 CB650C in resto
17,785 Posts
Enjoy your internal smirk the next time you hear somebody talking about turning around because of rain. Besides, you'll enjoy your next sunny day that much more!

...off to re-weatherproof my gloves and boots, just in case. ;)

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
day #4

Today started out questionable, the weather still sucked and we had to decide weather to continue down hwy 1 or head back to 101. I was not looking forward to another day of wet riding, my gloves hadn’t dried out overt night despite taking the hairdryer to them this morning.

I chose to head back to 101 on hwy 20 so that meant a 33 mile ride own another wet twisty road that in the dry would have been heaven. Now I’ve never had to pull over in a turn out and let cars pass me before but I did today. Riding downhill into a wet 20mph corner and hacing to hit the breaks made me very nervous so ai had to take it really easy, it didn‘t do much for my pride but we made it safely.

It sprinkled on us a little on hwy 20, but a few miles before Willits and hwy101 I saw shadows on the road! The first in 3 days. We continued down 101 which is a nice highway through fairly scenic landscape. At Santa Rosa I tried to stop at the local Triumph dealer to pick up some chain lube as I forgot mine. I forgot it was Sunday so they were closed, I’ll try again in Sacramento.

We headed down hwy 12 toward Sonoma, we were clearly in wine country. My gloves had dried out in the wind, the temperature was comfortable so the suffering of the last few days is quickly fading from my memory.

In Sonoma we stopped at the city hall where a cinco de mayo festival was going on got something to drink and some ice cream at Ben & Jerry’s Yes it’s warm enough to eat ice cream finally.

After wondering around a while it was off to Napa. Napa seemed pretty touristy at first, we found a nice hotel, The Chardonnay, and went to a nice dinner for a change at a great place downtown called Celadon. A nice finish to a really good day for a change.

I haven't seen the weather report for tomorrow but today was a very refreshing change. tomorrow we do the Napa valley, co soe wine tasting and enjoy a low mileage day.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
day #5

Glad you're enjoying it, hope I'm not being to wordy...

Day #5
Got up and went to the butter cream bakery which was within walking distance of the hotel. It had plenty of character but the food was only mediocre, the place was filled with a bunch of grey haired ladies for waitresses and a local clientele. After breakfast we headed towards the Napa valley vineyards The town of Napa is a bit on the touristy side . As opposed to Sonoma, Napa has specialty spas and upscale restaurants whereas Sonoma felt a lot more homey.

The valley is very picturesque and the architecture is great, lot’s of old world European flavor to it.

I was surprised to find that the wineries charged $25 to $30 dollars to do wine tasting. Being from the Northwest I’m used to always finding some free tasting at the local places. Needless to say we didn’t do much tasting, I’m more of a beer drinker anyway. We decided to go to the Prager winery a place that specialized in Port wines, something we do enjoy, it was much more down home feeling that the really formal wineries. The tasting was done in a room that had dollar bills plastered all over the walls and ceiling, something that I was told began 25 years ago. They also had classic rock playing instead of classical or just quiet like other placed had. I liked the place and the wines weren’t bad either.

After getting soused on the wines (kidding) we rode up to St Helena, another quaint town at thw north end of the valley. We then took hwy 128 out of the valley towards Winters, a nice twisty two lane. From there the road turned into a long straight shot along the flat lands.

hwy 128

We’re going to spend a couple nights here in Sacramento so Sprintgirl can spend some time with family then we’re heading back to the coast. I can’t wait! Don’t care for it here much too flat, if I find some good roads I’ll let you know. At least we had another day of dry weather and the temps are in the 70s.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Spring Weather...or Lack of...

Danny!

Hells Bells, I sure hope you are not in the middle of this nasty stuff!! It started last night, and hasn't let up yet...:(

Pouring cats and dogs, here in the Emerald City. Is that why we are so "green"?

Here's to hoping sun and dry pavement graces the rest of the trip for you!

Ride on, bro!!

Gene

PS: Loving the pics!!

·
Registered
17 Posts
Enjoying your trip, Dan...:)

I'm so happy to hear that you and Ely are finding dry tarmac and warm temps. About time, I would gather;) Are you still thinking about Death Valley?

Glad you're enjoying it, hope I'm not being to wordy...

Day #5
Got up and went to the butter cream bakery which was within walking distance of the hotel. It had plenty of character but the food was only mediocre, the place was filled with a bunch of grey haired ladies for waitresses and a local clientele. After breakfast we headed towards the Napa valley vineyards The town of Napa is a bit on the touristy side . As opposed to Sonoma, Napa has specialty spas and upscale restaurants whereas Sonoma felt a lot more homey.

The valley is very picturesque and the architecture is great, lot’s of old world European flavor to it.

I was surprised to find that the wineries charged $25 to $30 dollars to do wine tasting. Being from the Northwest I’m used to always finding some free tasting at the local places. Needless to say we didn’t do much tasting, I’m more of a beer drinker anyway. We decided to go to the Prager winery a place that specialized in Port wines, something we do enjoy, it was much more down home feeling that the really formal wineries. The tasting was done in a room that had dollar bills plastered all over the walls and ceiling, something that I was told began 25 years ago. They also had classic rock playing instead of classical or just quiet like other placed had. I liked the place and the wines weren’t bad either.

After getting soused on the wines (kidding) we rode up to St Helena, another quaint town at thw north end of the valley. We then took hwy 128 out of the valley towards Winters, a nice twisty two lane. From there the road turned into a long straight shot along the flat lands.

hwy 128

We’re going to spend a couple nights here in Sacramento so Sprintgirl can spend some time with family then we’re heading back to the coast. I can’t wait! Don’t care for it here much too flat, if I find some good roads I’ll let you know. At least we had another day of dry weather and the temps are in the 70s.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
having problems posting... not sure why?

the trip is going well we're in Yosemite nat park having a great time. I'll post more up when I can.

·
Registered
1,869 Posts
having problems posting... not sure why?

the trip is going well we're in Yosemite nat park having a great time. I'll post more up when I can.
Obviously Karma - you are having too much fun.

·
Registered
464 Posts
Great report so far,Dan.I'm gonna be riding the Scrambler down to Cambria end of July/first of Aug for a Bonnie,Thruxton,Scrambler only Rally.We'll be doing some of the same route,but hopefully drier.Have fun and watch out for arseholes.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
We left Sacramento and headed down I80 for a while actually we were on the slab for several hours. I don’t care much for the way they drive around here, everyone seems to be in a big hurry and don’t care much who else is on the road. Another side note; I wish I still had my touring windscreen on the Sprint at 65 and over my head is really buffeting with the stock screen.

we slabed it to Los Gatos, which is a beautiful little town for the very wealthy. Fron there we headed up to skyline blvd . Motorcycle heaven, really great pavement and twisty roads with views toward the bay area.

We stopped at the top for a late lunch at Alice’s restaurant the food was good and the weather perfect to sit outside on the deck

. there were plenty of other bikers there including a group of Germans on rented Harleys. They said they started in Seattle and were headed to L.A.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts