Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, once again "seemingly too often, lol"

First I would like to thank everyone whom responded to my previous post regarding my chain which the dealer owner promptly came to my house in person to apologize and fix the bike.

Second it has been two days now since that problem and all has been fine and good untill. Earlier today I started the bike for maybe 2-3 min to move it out of the way so that I could get my car out of the garage. When I returned about 2 hours later it refused to start. The problem goes that it made a 2-3 fires like it was going to start and then nothing but cranking, After about 10-12 turns I stopped and could smell gas so I figured I somehow managed to flood a FI bike "go figure". Anyway I return about 15min later to give it another go and the same thing happens this time accompanied by a heavy sound as if about to vapor lock. Again I return about 1 hour later this time I keep at it until I ran down the battery with no luck but again just after about 15 turns it sounded heavy. The only thing that I noticed might be odd is that the headlight and LCD displays for mileage and clock go out when I hit the starter. Is that normal?

I have the bike on a charger now for another go in the morning any ideas????

·
Registered
8,111 Posts
Check your battery terminals - they may have corroded or be loose ( a common problem).

and not wanting to state the obvious but did you check your kill switch?

·
Premium Member
24,342 Posts
Jaracer64,
I am of the same mind as Steven.

The "heavy sound" has got me beat though.

Let us know how you get on.

I am not known for my mechanical knowledge.

But there are some very clever spanner types here,

MNsprint and stlakid come to mind.

Davem
:cool:

·
Registered
489 Posts
Have you been riding in the rain? Check your oxygen sensor connector if your bike has one. A bad connection or bad sensor can cause the bike to not start, flood out, or run rich.

Other possible no-start causes (assuming the bike cranks but dosen't fire): bad coil(s), fouled plugs, plugged fuel filter, bad pump or ECM(rare).

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks guys. i did get it running and hopefully it will stay that way for the morning. Though the fireworks from the tailpipe was quite entertaining. Once again thanks for your help.

·
Registered
522 Posts
Remember not to hit the throttle after turning on the key, before hitting starting button, mess's up the TPS. My '01's had a few stubborn starts, wrote them off to low charge battery.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts