Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Banned
2,152 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
From the latest issue of Motorcyclist.

In case you’ve never read Motorcyclist the last page has a summary of all the bikes they’ve tested. The (Dyno) performance numbers are corrected for sea level and standard conditions. The ¼ mile times at a drag strip.

I’ve seen a number of people comparing the FJR 1300 with the Sprint.

Here’s some numbers:

Sprint St (05) FJR 1300 (03)

Hp 121.3 126.8

torque (lb-ft) 73.6 at 8000 90.0 at 7000

1/4 mile 10.88 at 127.4 11.02 at 124.1

60-80 roll on 3.45 3.65

wet weight 552 641

Both will no doubt more than double any posted speed limit which is adequate for most sport touring situations I’ve encountered. These numbers helped me choose the Sprint. At 89 pounds it’s lighter and quicker. You want even better acceleration go with the 18 tooth sprocket. Try that with a shafty.

:cool: :cool: :cool:

[ This message was edited by: mglemans86 on 2006-11-25 22:00 ]

·
Registered
323 Posts
I like the features of the FJR 1300 but I don't care too much for the looks. I chose my '06 Sprint ST because it's kewl and mean looking. I would have preferred a shaft drive because I'm just plain lazy when it comes to clean and lube. The FJR has a bigger fuel cap. It has a digital gear indicator which I would like too. Plus when the bags are off the bike it still looks clean without any side rails like the new Sprint. The seat and windscreen are adjustable and there is no more heat issue. But since the FJR doesn't come in red, I chose the Red Sprint. Plus it costs less and my insurance cheaper. Thought I would have gotten the FJR but it's not readily available and costs too much. I like the sportier look in the new Sprint anyway. I'm happy and now I think I'll go riding.

·
Registered
937 Posts
Critical factor for me would be the weight, almost an extra 100kg to toss around - do a few miles on a 250 and you'll soon realise that weight matters! I'd classify the big Yam as a full blown tourer anyhow

·
Registered
924 Posts
Mick,
Not sure what you are counting but 100kg is 220lbs and the difference is more like 160lbs which is less than 75kg. That ST in Sprint ST stands for Sport Touring. I would submit the pre-05 Sprints are better touring bikes than the current ST's. It could be also said that Sprints aren't even a good sport bike when you start comparing it with R1's, GSXR's, 999's, etc. I would submit that the first real sport tourers were the Kawasaki Concours and Honda ST1100 which were definitely not light weights. Now that I've pissed everyone off, I would like to say everyone seems to have their own opinion of what a sport tourer is. If it works for you, ride it. If it doesn't don't! Who cares what you call it. A fact that I am just learning after 40 years of riding is that no one bike does everything well. I'm getting an FJR for long hauls and keeping my Sprint for running the local turns.

·
Registered
171 Posts
On 2006-11-25 21:59, mglemans86 wrote:
Here’s some numbers:

Sprint St (05) FJR 1300 (03)

Hp 121.3 126.8

torque (lb-ft) 73.6 at 8000 90.0 at 7000

1/4 mile 10.88 at 127.4 11.02 at 124.1

60-80 roll on 3.45 3.65

wet weight 552 641

:cool: :cool: :cool:
You can come up with numbers to support any argument.
Sport Rider, MCNs, and Motorcycle USA just to name three all tested the FJR quicker than the Sprint.

The weight difference is even greater now, the FJR had improvements in 04 and 06 that added quite a few pounds. Comparing these two bikes is like comparing apples to oranges, they're both great at what they're designed to do.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Apples and oranges for sure... I tested an FJR in comparison to my ST1300 on a range, and in a strait line it's a bit quicker, but for everything else I found the ST13 more nimble and better handling overall. I bought the Sprint as an addition to the ST13 to give me something at the other end of the ST segment for more technical persuits... I decided enough was enough when I started gliding the ST13 when I got way in the zone. It handles exceptionally well for a 700# bike... but gliding a 700# bike is a getting extreme IMO. If anyone rides the FJR and likes it, give the ST1300 a shot too, you won't be the first to be pleasently surprised :cool:

·
Registered
171 Posts
GRN, I'm like you, only I have an FJR, just haven't updated my forum profile yet. I'm waiting for an 07 Sprint to supplement my FJR but I really agonized between the ST1300 and FJR, they are both great bikes and I don't think one is "better" than the other.

Everthing being equal I would have bought the Honda but the fact I can walk to the Yamaha dealer and the FJR was $2,000 cheaper due to a year end clearance (I just bought an 06) clinched it for me.

I've taken a few test rides on a Sprint and can't wait for mine to arrive, they're great, but a different ride then the ST1300 or FJR.

I'm 66 and could care less which bike wins in the quarter mile but was just trying to point out that you can usually find numbers to back up any view. Lots of test show the ST1300 quicker than the FJR and Sprint, some have the Sprint quicker, some the FJR. In any case, anyone that would buy a bike based on quarter mile times isn't really into sport riding anyway. Regards.

·
Registered
131 Posts
The ST13 is a fast bike, even in the twisties. With over 16K behind me on it, and over 70K on an ST11 previously, it'll be a while before I'm "faster" in real riding situations on anything, including my Sprint. The FJR is a nice bike... I really considered it when I bought the ST13, but I couldn't even find one to sit on... no way I'm throwing $ blind to the wind like that.

Cripes man, with the changes to the new GL's, there gonna have to start throwing those in the mix when they compare bikes the heavy end of the segment... those things handle! There is some great video footage shot by a guy who goes by "Fuse" while riding Deals Gap with Yellow Wolf... most guys who own litre sport bikes couldn't keep up with these guys... on GL1800's! Granted, they have Traxxion front ends... but still... YO! :wow:

[ This message was edited by: GRN on 2006-12-09 22:13 ]

·
Registered
924 Posts
GRN,
I hear ya on the GL but it all comes down to weight and the laws of physics. With equal riders and decent power/suspension, a light bike beats a heavy one every time in the turns. As far as those squids at the Gap, they have the place memorized and do it a LOT! Take them someplace strange and see what happens. They probably are very good riders but don't give them too much credit.

·
Registered
171 Posts
If it's the same video I saw those guys were moving, they were also scraping on EVERY turn. It is a good video though.

·
Registered
131 Posts
I hear ya on the local turf detail, a significant variable no doubt... but that doesn't take away from the handling demonstrated. Yellow Wolf has posted some on the ST-Owners board, and is a bit of a cocky sort... I did invite him to come to our Northern New England STOC rally last fall for just the reason you mentioned... he never replied. Still... anyone who can knock off 1K+ in 24 doing laps on the Gap on a wing deserves some credit regardless. Banging out 525-550 miles of somewhat familiar twisties on my ST13 in one shot in daylight has me real ready for a steak and a beer man :-g

·
Registered
131 Posts
On 2006-12-10 17:57, feliz wrote:
If it's the same video I saw those guys were moving, they were also scraping on EVERY turn. It is a good video though.
That's the one... there are actually two. What blows my mind is the speed of the transitions, thers one spot where Fuse throws side to side, like around 100 degrees almost instantly... pretty well done for sure.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Having just sold my 2002 wing after 3 years and 30,000 miles, I feel I can shed some like on the scraping of wing pegs. I ridden the Gap on many occasions, and it's the pegs scraping that limits your corner speed. These bikes can't help but scrape the way the are built. Hell I have scrapped the pegs with my wifey on the back and pulling a trailer. Riding slow at the Gap, you will scrape pegs.

[ This message was edited by: JoeNukem on 2006-12-24 19:58 ]

·
Registered
459 Posts
On 2006-11-26 19:12, rodneybrown wrote: That ST in Sprint ST stands for Sport Touring. I would submit the pre-05 Sprints are better touring bikes than the current ST's.
I agree Rod but you can tour on anything. When I went to France in 2003, we took 14 bikes. Most of them were SV650S's (old shape) and I did 600 miles in one day on mine coming home. My mate Tarren went oh his Speed Triple with only a small tank back and tiny tail pack for a 6 day tour - smelly git. :-D

1 - 14 of 14 Posts