Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
4,007 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When I first started looking at bikes I had my mind set on a Concours. That was before I saw the Sprint. I love my Sprint and hope to keep it for a few more years but my joints (elbow, shoulders and wrists) are not getting any younger and I wonder if maybe the Connie might be a more comfortable alternative to my beloved Sprint. Would I be happy on a Connie after riding my Sprint? Any of you have both bikes?

·
Registered
357 Posts
My buddy owned a 955I sprint followed by a Concours. He said the power was unimpressive and the 955 sprint was clearly the better bike for performance and fun. If he had to do it all over again he said he would look to the FJR instead.

Keep in mind that was a 2005ish Concours so things might have changed.

·
Registered
4,007 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That is probably right with the older models but the newer (08-09) 1400cc models are a different story I think. I've seen them compared to the ST1300 and the FJR but haven't found any comparison to the Sprint possibly because of the different engine size?

·
Premium Member
2,021 Posts
That is probably right with the older models but the newer (08-09) 1400cc models are a different story I think. I've seen them compared to the ST1300 and the FJR but haven't found any comparison to the Sprint possibly because of the different engine size?
You can't really compare those bikes with the Sprint. They are all MUCH larger bikes. Are you concerned with weight? Since the larger sport tourers are a good 100 lbs more than the Sprint.

PS- I'm originally from Elmira! :cool:

·
Registered
4,007 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
You can't really compare those bikes with the Sprint. They are all MUCH larger bikes. Are you concerned with weight? Since the larger sport tourers are a good 100 lbs more than the Sprint.

PS- I'm originally from Elmira! :cool:
Hi Caddy. I'm from Athens originally, grew up there.
My concern is more to do with comfort. I can probably ride the Sprint for a few more years but my wrists and shoulder might prefer the more comfortable position on the Connie. It's a good 150 lbs. heavier I think but that doesn't really bother me. I was wondering how much difference there would be in handling and comfort mostly. I know I would surely miss the burble and pop of the triple but I'd "probably" get over that eventually, i think...

·
Registered
441 Posts
My concern is more to do with comfort. ... I was wondering how much difference there would be in handling and comfort mostly. I know I would surely miss the burble and pop of the triple but I'd "probably" get over that eventually, i think...
Sounds like what you need is a Tiger. The new 1050 Tiger is the equal of the Sprint in most ways and better in the rest. I ride with a bunch of guys on Tigers and the bikes handle as well as the Sprint are just as fast, and simply have better ergos. Toss the same crappy stock luggage for some Givi bags and the Tiger is an amazing sport touring machine.

Just a thought.:rolleyes:

·
Registered
4,007 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The Tiger doesn't come with luggage, so no tossing nessesary! :D
Sounds like what you need is a Tiger. The new 1050 Tiger is the equal of the Sprint in most ways and better in the rest. I ride with a bunch of guys on Tigers and the bikes handle as well as the Sprint are just as fast, and simply have better ergos. Toss the same crappy stock luggage for some Givi bags and the Tiger is an amazing sport touring machine.

Just a thought.:rolleyes:
I did sit on the Tiger this spring and really liked it. I'll try to get a test ride on it before I do anything as I really liked how it felt. It's a bit tall and I was on the balls of my feet and I have a 32" inseam. I'm keeping the Sprint for another year or so but will eventually have to change I'm afraid.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Maybe ShovelstrokeEd will contribute here, but I believe he has put the LSL Superbar kit on his Sprint to make the ergos more comfortable for him. There is also at least one thread discussing lower pegs to change the ergos. I am considering both, though even at age 60 I don't find the '08 Sprint uncomfortable. However, I haven't ridden multiple long days on it -- hopefully yet this Summer.
I recently did a 200 mile day on local twisties on my SV650S and was able to walk pain free the next day; the Sprint riding position is much friendlier than that of the SV.

I haven't ridden a Concours, but I've become addicted to the 1050 triple -- what a great motor.

·
Registered
141 Posts
I think the Concours 14 would be a good choice because it is very comfortable to ride for both the rider and passenger. It was one of the bikes on the list when I was shopping around. The weight is what turned me off on it. Due to the way my garage is wedged between my home and the neighbors I have to turn it around in a walking 3-point turn every morning to get the bike down to the street. Couldn't see myself doing that every morning.

**edit**
I just checked the Kawasaki website and the Concours 14 weighs in at a heft 679.1 lbs (ABS model), when the Sprint comes in at 469 lbs (ABS model). That is a 210.1 lbs difference.

·
Premium Member
2,021 Posts
I just checked the Kawasaki website and the Concours 14 weighs in at a heft 679.1 lbs (ABS model), when the Sprint comes in at 469 lbs (ABS model). That is a 210.1 lbs difference.
That's the curb (wet) weight of the C14. The Sprint' curb weight is probably 550 or so. That's still quite a weight difference.

·
Registered
1,756 Posts
I was 50% tempted to trade my 06 Sprint for a new Connie and I have no ergo issues. I thought that in some ways it was a lot more bike and Kawasaki is giving $1,000 off new 08s.

The main reason I backed off was the debt I would incur and the size of the bike. I am only 5'6" and 145 lbs. and didn't feel the bike would be a problem, but I concluded that unless I did more long distance stuff, the Sprint was the better bike and it's paid for. If I didn't care about the debt, I might have traded for the Connie.

I think the Connie would handle reasonably well for most riders except the hard-core. The guys on their forum love it once the stock tires are changed. The ergos are more comfy, and the brakes and suspension are better as is the power if you want more. If only I could have a Speed Triple too!

·
Registered
564 Posts
Councourse FTW

Hey there,

My dad just bought a Concourse and he's loving it. Its EXTREMELY comfortable. Prior to that, he had a 955 Sprint RS. He loves his Concourse. Ive ridden pillion on it and its really comfortable.

Its a lot more heavy that the Sprint ST, but the ergos on the Connie are much better IMO. The power is incomparable. 1400cc versus 1050. It should be obvious. The Connie definately feels bigger than the Sprint. The Sprint IMO is more sporty whereas the Connie is more toury..almost like a Goldwing.

My dad's biggest complaints about the Connie is its wide. Of course he was spoiled by the thinness of the triples. He also did some canyon riding and he said its much tougher than his Sprint RS (duh) where he cannot do late turn ins.

I'll have to take my dad's Connie out for a spin and see my thoughts since my riding abilitis are much better than his. (I ride canyons, twisty roads and track quite frequently).

·
Registered
509 Posts
While the big Connie is certainly a nice bike, it didn't even make my short list when it came time to replace my crashed Blackbird. I didn't want another long, overweight bike with a monster of a motor, BTDT.

The very lightness of the Sprint and its subsequent handiness are what made the decision for me. Actually, I bought the bike and found out about the goodness afterward although I had done some internet homework.

I have made some minor modifications to make the bike fit me better, lower bars and soon to be changed pegs and seat being the big ones. I have owned and ridden 7 second drag bikes so pretty much nothing on the street really blows my dress up when it comes to acceleration. That said, the way the Sprint motor makes power is pretty impressive. The places where you need it, it is there and in quantity. Yeah, a Connie might out pull it but it won't be much more than a couple of bike lengths in the 80-120 range. In a side by side comparison with my '01 Blackbird against my bosses '05 Sprint ST, the 'Bird didn't pull clear till over 100 mph. Since the Connie is about 60 lbs heavier than the 'Bird I doubt there would be very much difference between them.

As to handling and braking, well, you can't repeal the laws of physics. The heavier bike is just not going to be as handy nor is it going to slow as quickly. I think I read in one of the motorcycle mags that the brakes on the Connie's big brother, the ZX-14 were done after two laps of a race track. Even with the monster motor, I doubt a well ridden Connie would be able to hang with a well ridden Sprint in the twisties.

Comfort is such a subjective thing anyway. Once I complete my mods, my bike will be about as well set up for long distance touring and the occasional bout of insanity on the bends. Who can ask for more?

·
Registered
4,007 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Good advice in both of those last two comments. The weight of the Connie would concern me somewhat and I really don't need a bigger bike since I'm not a full on tourer. My thoughts are totally on comfort and it's ability in the corners. I push the Sprint a bit for an old dude but I do have chicken strips (just over 1/8") so I'm not all that aggressive. I love everything about the Sprint and hate to think of getting rid of it. Shoulder issues are the culprit and unless I can figure a way to lessen the pressure I may have no choice. It's a common issue with guys and women my age. I will certainly try out a Tiger but to be honest I'm just not crazy with the looks and the lack of fairing. I have risers on my bars so I'm not sure I can do much more there. I'm trying the slip on tennis racket grip idea soon, they're ordered. Pegs are fine except for an occasional leg cramp. I do like the looks of the Connie now that it's been redesigned. Thanks for all your comments.

·
Registered
46 Posts
I don't know whether this advice will be helpful, but at least it will be free to try :).

I'm a fairly keen mountain biker and get both tingling in the palms as well as shoulder tension/pain. I visited a massage therapist recently to work over some of the knots. He said that a lot of problems stem from my shoulders being rotated forward from tension in the pec's. He recommended an exercise to stretch out the muscles:

Imagine standing in a doorway with your upper arm straight out to the side and parallel to the floor and forearm vertical. Rest the forearm against the jamb and lean forward into the door opening. You should feel the pec stretch from the sternum. Breathe, relax, stretch further, repeat. Do for the other arm.

This has helped, though it hasn't eliminated the issues 100%. Supplemented by the barstool exercises from Shovelstrokeed might do it though: http://www.triumphrat.net/sprint-forum/111707-high-handel-bar-kit-for-my-2009-st-abs.html

·
Registered
4,007 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Thanks for the exercise tip, I'll give that a try. My girlfriend also has shoulder problems and has been having problems so I passed it along to her as well and also to a VFR friend that just had shoulder surgery. These are the sort of tips that are invaluable on this site.
As for the bar risers my bike does have them but it's not cutting the mustard. I'll check into the alternative bars. Having put around 8K on this bike in the last 11 months I am very comfortable with it and just need to find ways to relieve the pressure points.

·
Registered
509 Posts
Ride, I don't know about your size but I'm 5'10" about 185 lbs with a 30" inseam and 33" arms (long, not around). I also have about 13 years on you. I actually fitted lower bars to my '08, LSL with low superbike bar, they are set back a bit as well. The change in comfort was amazing as the OEM grip angle was killing me on long (typical 8+ hours in the saddle) rides.

I still have some issues with shoulder pain as I suffer from rotator cuff problems in my right shoulder due to RA. I plan on installing a throttle lock to help relieve that as it seems the strain of holding the throttle, as light as it is, is causing my anterior deltoid to cramp. I relieve this to some extent through the prophylactic use of NSAIDs but they are not good long term for the system.

My riding positon is a distillation from years of riding and some mentoring from a guy known as Master Yoda on the BMWST site. It was referred to earlier as my barstool position. You might do well to look it up using the search engine. It will go a long way towards removing strain on your arms and hands from supporting yourself on the bars. You would be amazed at how stable and easy steering the bike is with zero weight on the barrs.

·
Registered
4,007 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Ride, I don't know about your size but I'm 5'10" about 185 lbs with a 30" inseam and 33" arms (long, not around). I also have about 13 years on you. I actually fitted lower bars to my '08, LSL with low superbike bar, they are set back a bit as well. The change in comfort was amazing as the OEM grip angle was killing me on long (typical 8+ hours in the saddle) rides.

I still have some issues with shoulder pain as I suffer from rotator cuff problems in my right shoulder due to RA. I plan on installing a throttle lock to help relieve that as it seems the strain of holding the throttle, as light as it is, is causing my anterior deltoid to cramp. I relieve this to some extent through the prophylactic use of NSAIDs but they are not good long term for the system.

My riding positon is a distillation from years of riding and some mentoring from a guy known as Master Yoda on the BMWST site. It was referred to earlier as my barstool position. You might do well to look it up using the search engine. It will go a long way towards removing strain on your arms and hands from supporting yourself on the bars. You would be amazed at how stable and easy steering the bike is with zero weight on the barrs.
So you're saying a lower bar with a closer reach actually works better? I've tried taking the weight off my arms with a tighter grip on the tank with my legs and that does help. I also try changing my arm position as I ride, bending the elbows more and letting my grip loosen. I never ride with a tight grip. Could you post a pic of your bar setup?

1 - 20 of 21 Posts