Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

Sprint st1050 rear lights issue

2K views 16 replies 6 participants last post by  fredsprint 
#1 ·
Hello,
I have an 06 ST1050 ABS and I’ve got an issue with my rear lights, when I turn the bike on they are on along with the break light but when I press one of the breaks they turn off.
I’ve searched the forum and there seems to be an issue with the break light being stuck on when the bike heats up, not sure if this could be related.

Thanks in advance.

#7 ·
That's odd (but you already know that!) Looking at the circuit diagram, the rear light cluster earth appears to run to pin A06 on the ECU, which is shared with the diagnostic connector and the side stand switch. Is it an earthing problem/short somewhere? Does disconnecting one of the brake switches change anything? Did you try adjusting the rear brake switch, as Terry suggested?

#14 ·
I took a look at mine and on the GT it's seems a real PITA to remove the tail light.
So what is suggest is that you remove yours:grin2:and take it apart provided it's not sealed forever. Then take pictures of the inside and send them to me.
Both side of the PCB. I'll try to understand the schematic. Component references must be readable. Could be that the schematic is more complicated that planned.

In the mean time, w/ the tail light module removed you may try to replace (for test purpose) the set w/ a simple led + resistor, for checking the bike side. As the bike side if pretty simple I don't see any fault coming from it.
That is two LED w/ two resistances in series.

For 15mA in each LED you need (12-1V)/0.015A=733Ohms. You can take 680Ohms or 820Ohms standard values.

Note: seems to be a lot of replacement for these light modules.

Fred

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.