Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just another reason to be proud of the best sport tourer on the planet!!!

Sprint ST WINS Endurance Test!
The Sprint ST has just fought off the BMW K1200S and the Honda VFR-ABS to win Motorrad's 50,000km endurance test, beating 12 other competitor bikes to the top spot.

Motorrad, Germany's best selling and most influential motorcycle magazine, found that after 50,000km the Sprint ST's compression and performance figures were the same as a brand new bike, the oil consumption was marginal, the engine, clutch and gearbox were all in very good condition and the painted parts, frame and exhaust pipe showed no sign of corrosion at all. The inspiring, characterized engine and the excellent handling of the bike also impressed them.

The condition of the bike after the 50,000km endurance test is outlined below:

Cylinder head:
All valves were leak proof
Valve seats were satisfactory
Valve guides and stems were within figures for new
Camshaft-bearings had visible marks but were within tolerance
Cam lobes are very good
Liners/Pistons:
All liners had visible marks but were within tolerances
RHS liner slightly more non-circular but still within tolerances
Piston free play is satisfactory with not much charcoal
Crank assembly:
Main bearings like new
Big ends perfect
Small ends and gudgeon pins slightly worn
Transmission:
Gear box in very good condition with no pitting
Clutch plates like new
Frame/Chassis:
Premium and reliable paintwork
No hidden corrosion on powder coated frame
Motorrad concluded that, as a result of the moderate depreciation and reasonable costs of the Sprint ST, combined with the proven reliability and excellent condition of the bike during and after the endurance test, the Sprint ST was the sure winner for this test.

©2007 calmoto.com
California BMW Triumph Motorcycles
2490 Old Middlefield Way
Mountain View, California 94043
Telephone 650.966.1183 | Fax 650.966.8340
Website Maintenance Service by Collaborint

·
Premium Member
24,402 Posts
Thank you very much keo1050.

I think someone may have mentioned it previously here but not with such detail as you have.

I am not surprised but am a very happy smiley Triumph Sprint owner!!!!! :) :) :) :)

You all should be, :wink:

DaveM :cool:

·
Registered
8,113 Posts
That's me - satisfied with my choice. For all the right reasons

·
Registered
459 Posts
On 2007-02-10 21:22, steventhechef wrote:
That's me - satisfied with my choice. For all the right reasons
Yes but they haven't all got RS's like us.

:hammer: NELSON :hammer: , If you haven't go anything good to say, don't say it. After you previous posts I am sure it only result in more bad feeling on this friendly forum :-D

Kev

·
Registered
944 Posts
I LOVE my Sprint. Just got back from a run through the mountains in 55 degree weather to celebrate!

You know, if it weren't for the fact that my 9R was my first brand new bike, I'd be very happy to have just the Sprint in the garage. Err...I take that back...I'll never be happy with only one bike in my garage. However, if I HAD to have only one bike, yeah, I guess the Sprint would keep me less psychotic. :hammer:

In honesty, I have two bikes in my garage that don't make me want to replace them with something better. That is a blessing in of itself.

Hey Kevin, it was a pleasure to have met you and yours, Friday night. Sorry, I didn't get a chance to talk with you more. Hopefully you can show me around the mountains in the not-so-distant future. :cool:

·
Registered
944 Posts
You know, I have to add here, that I wish my best mate had as good of luck with his Speed 3 (another bike I'd like to add to my collection). Unfortunately, he's been plagued by problems...mainly a blown head gasket at less than 1500 miles and terrible dealer network.

I'm sure the head gasket was a fluke, but the dealers should be shot. 2 months still in the shop to resolve! Best wishes to my bud, EliziumS3, getting his bike back on the road. :hammer:

·
Premium Member
176 Posts
Thanks for the wishes, NinjaRat. A couple more days and they will have broken 2 months with my bike to fix a blown head gasket.

Man, I sure wouldn't want these guys as a pit crew.

·
Registered
1,504 Posts
On 2007-02-11 21:36, EliziumS3 wrote:
Thanks for the wishes, NinjaRat. A couple more days and they will have broken 2 months with my bike to fix a blown head gasket.

Man, I sure wouldn't want these guys as a pit crew.
Jeez,

That is terrible service,Have you tried contacting your National Triumph Agent regarding the 3 month wait.In Oz I have found them fairly good and even replaced a Speedo cable that was a month out of warranty.

Good luck.
:mad:

·
Registered
70 Posts
When I was looking to trade up from a Fazer 600 I looked a 3 bikes, Honda VFR,Ducati ST2 and Triumph Sprint ST.
When I had my demo ride on the ST I was gob-smacked at just how good the bike was. It felt just right for me, so I bought it. My only concern was the supposedly better build quality of the HONDA. After reading the Motorrad test I realise that all my worries about build quality were groundless.
I made the right choice :-D

·
Registered
163 Posts
Yes Keo...thankyou for such a good bit of info. I have printed
the page and will be showing it to a few K1200S riding friends.....for a while now they have been putting S#%T on me for buying a Triumph...not that it worried me...the more I ride my Sprint the more I love it. I carnt wait to tell them my
bike won...and cost $13,000 LESS to buy.
rgds Sean. :) :razz: :mad: :-D

·
Premium Member
24,402 Posts
gsbeamer,
I think you hit the nail on the head. I had a bit of a race with bloke who was on a K1200S once. He blew me away on straights but in the tight stuff we were pretty equal.

He was an ex '04 Sprint owner and was blabbing on as only a Beemer owner can about how much superior his bike was.

He just left out the cost!!!

Value for money, bike for your buck the Triumph Sprint is a lot of bike for the money.

·
Registered
163 Posts
How are you DaveM.....Yes my mate paid $28,000 for his K1200S and I only paid......wait for it....12 months old with 1470Ks on the clock, full sports system, rad guard, soft panniers, tank protector and 12 months Rego, not a mark on the bike, the first service already paid for......$14,000 drive away. And I knew the bike from day one.....and lets face it, its a much better looking bike then the K.

rgds Sean :) :razz: :-D

·
Premium Member
24,402 Posts
Hi Sean,
I am very well thank you.

You got a bargain mate............good for you.

I didn't do too bad myself I paid around $14,500 for mine with a race can fitted but got a Trade to die for on my '98 GSX R600 which was too good to pass up.

I also had the good fortune to pick up the following accessories from a friend of a friend which were only 6 months old for $450.00

Data tool S3 alarm system (never been fitted)
Radguard oil and rad protector
Oil Filter x 1
Triumph rear hugger
Triumph Gel seat (used once)
Triumph Risers (sold to Tankman)

all for $450.00, a steal! :)

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Yeah my best riding mate has the naked version of the K1200S (K1200R) and we ride together at least 10,000 miles per year. We switch bikes on occasion and although the BMW will smoke the Sprint on a straighaway ; whoever is riding the Sprint will always lead the way. Funny sidenote to this also is that although he does have a very nice machine he's always grumbling about his resale value taking such a beating and now has his eyes on a new white Speed Triple.

[ This message was edited by: keo1050 on 2007-03-08 19:54 ]

1 - 20 of 23 Posts