Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking at getting a new toy for Christmas, and it's down to a 04 K1200gt or an 07 ST. Any thoughts? I'm coming from a heavy cruiser background, and want something that can go miles, but weighs less than a HD pig.

·
Premium Member
4,566 Posts
Go the Sprint. The BMW is an awesome motor but way too much power for normal spirited riding - ie. it's a bit extreme. The Sprint has over 125HP, all useable in all gears. Will hit 250kph if you're so inclined, will tour all day, will need a suspension upgrade for 2 up unless you're light, has a great linear power spread, will tackle the twisties with gusto and aplomb and close to sports bike prowess (well mainly depends on the rider here) and will likely be about 30% cheaper than a BeEm.

Just my 2c worth :)

Russ

·
Registered
8,111 Posts
Hi beagle and welcome,

With the GT there is the initial cost over the ST but you would have the better resale value.

My main concern would be the huge expense at having to get colour co-ordinated textile gear and wet weather gear and helmet and boots and then turn around and buy them for the pillion too.

Also it means that you might have to hang out with BMW people - and I am sure that I wouldn't fit in there!!

:-D

[ This message was edited by: steventhechef on 2006-11-19 20:52 ]

·
Registered
259 Posts
I get all the BMW numbers confused, but if it's the one I'm thinking of, (fully faired sport touring version with in-line 4 and big HP) you could buy 2 Sprints and all the extras for the same price.

I'm certain it's a great bike, but way too costly. Sort of like the difference between an $80,000 car and a $160,000 car. What is the quantifiable increase in real value for the extra money?

It must be there for some, because they do sell them. But I looked at it, listened to the pitch, and kept thinking: and that feature adds how much value to my riding experience?

Exhorbitantly priced for the pluses I saw. That's why I bought the Sprint. Outstanding all-rounder.

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
I don't really see these bikes as being that closely related. Have you ridden both?

Did you also post this in a BMW forum?
If not, in general expect:
Sprint forum ~ Buy the Sprint
BMW forum ~ Buy the BMW

CLB says...
Buy the BMW if you want to talk about it.
Buy the Sprint if you want to ride it.
Buy an FJR if you want attention to detail and reliability.

·
Registered
131 Posts
I test rode the K12GT for a day in '04 before I bought my ST1300... for the $$'s I wasn't impressed, there are a lot better riding bikes in that end of the ST segment for shorter $$'s up front and down the road. If you plan on eating some miles, and aren't proficient in significant maint., it will add up a good bit. That being said... they are VERY different bikes. My ST13 is a more nimble ride than the '04 KGT... and my '06 Sprint is A LOT more nimble than the ST13, enough so that I bought the Sprint to compliment my ST13, not replace it. JMO :-D

·
Registered
1,732 Posts
I very nearly bought the 1200 BM sports tourer (I get confused by their numbers as well) but baulked at the price.

The bike, luggage system and a few extras, had the tag heading north of $30,000 AUD. The fault with the black box on the ABS worried me as well, but I believe that has been quietly fixed now on new models.

The attitude of the sales people didnt impress me either. The mere suggestion of a non BMW accessory is tantamount to heresy and nearly had me frog marched off the premises.

I've since heard stories of people who dared suggest that their bike may need warranty work when a few things went wrong.

So, long story short, I ended up with a 05 ST. Having just spent four days riding for the Coffs rally confirmed I made the right choice. Sometime in the next year I will upgrade the suspension. It will be expensive, but with everything I've spent so far, I'm still well under the base price of the BMW.

Naturally, its horses for courses. The best piece of advice is to take both for a ride and decide what youre going to use it for etc.

Hope this helps.

Brett.

Ps - If you choose a BM, dont darken our door again.... :pkit: :lollol:

·
Registered
711 Posts
beagle, good question with great info from everyone, I'm looking for another bike for next season and learn a bunch here.

There are so many good related threads that it would be worth your time to use the search feature or just page back a few posts for more food for thought.

The Triumph ST is joined by 07 Tiger (waiting to see one) as being on my very short list. I ride with a group made up of BMW, FJR. Triumph S3 and my Triumph twin. All these guys are long time riders having owned multiple brands and enjoy touring, track and the twisties. The FJR guy said it reminds him of his old BMW K and loves it. BMW K S guy had a 955 Sprint, loves his BM, but misses his Triumph. Speed3 guy has new 06 w/1050 motor that is more civilized, but less Hooligan than his 955. etc.etc.

Pattern here is they all are great bikes with prices from $9K to well over $20K USD. Test ride is mandatory IMHO. Level of technology will not replace the basic machine that must fit you and your riding style/ergonomics. Triumph is much lighter, sportier and as reliable as anything else made. BMW has loyal following for a reason, but they are EXPENSIVE to buy and maintain and have had their own reliability/quirk issues being addressed/repaired. 04 BMW is out of warranty, so I would want a very detailed work history on her.

Good luck.

·
Registered
32 Posts
FWIW--I traded my 2001 K1200RS on an 06 ST. Here are my seat of the pant impressions. The ST is way lighter than the K upwards of 125#. The K engine is a sweet motor with tons of torque and smooth power band delivery in most gears. Also, the K feels much better is long sweepers with bumps...i.e. better suspension upfront with the paralever vs. telescopic forks. I like the seating position, lightness and sound of the ST. I need more seat time on my ST to make a better comparison but overall I do not regret the ST. Prices should facotr in but since you are purchasing used make sure you have an extended warranty.

With respect to dealer service... so far, I am still waiting on my luggage from Triumph. My bike has been in the shop since last Sunday becuase Triumph sent two left luggage supports and no right bracket. Dealer mix Up, Don't know, byt the service folks at a BMW dealer wqill bend over backwards for you.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Well I just traded a 03 Speedmaster and an 06 Sprint ABS for a new K1200S straight across. Those who told you that the Sprint has lighter handling at low speeds and more flexible are correct and this will make a difference in the parking lot and for low speed maneuvers, and flicking it through the twisties, but if your used to heavy cruisers it should not be a big deal. I miss my Sprint's low speed nimbleness and agility on dirt and gravel roads. Others are correct with regard to the stability of the BMW superior suspension especially on bumpy roads and on high speed sweepers. Personally, for me, the ergos on the Beemer are much better, and the K-S is even more aggressively set up then the GT, which has adjustable ergos, something I wish Triumph would do. The K-S is stupid fast in acceleration, the GT won’t be as fast but it will be ***** close. As for the maintenance costs, I’m afraid you have gotten some misinformation on this post. The Beemers need maintenance only every 12K miles after the 600 miles break-in oil change and 6K first maintenance check, and according to the service manager at my local dealer who carries both BMW and Triumph the longer term regular maintenance cost are significantly cheaper for the Beemer. The resale is much better for the BMW thats the main reason I traded. The trade value of the Triumph is not what it should be for bikes that are as they are. I found out I was going to get creamed on the resale. Luckily, I found a dealer who wanted the bikes I had and had several 06 K models that he wanted to move so he could make room for the 07 models which were on the way, and he gave me an incredible deal on a bumble bee k1200S. The technology of the Beemer with its electronic suspension (9 variations from the handle bar), beats the hell out of upgrading your suspension on the Sprint and the quality control and attention to detail of the bike is far superior to anything I’ve experienced, including the FJR that someone was touting and being superior to the Beemer for attention to detail. I have a friend I ride with that has an 06 FJR and in no way is it superior to the BMW for quality and attention to detail, in my opinion. Now to confuse you I have no complaints regarding my Trumps, I rode 'em like I stole 'em and had no problems mechanically I had nearly 30K miles on the 03 Speedmaster and 12K on the Sprint in less then a year, but like I said I was offered a deal I could not refuse. I think you would enjoy either bike. It depends on your style. If you like long hauls at high stable speeds and wild acceleration, want better ergos, wind and rain protection buy the Beemer sport-Tourer. You won’t loose much in the twisties, but you’ll loose some on the GT not the K-S which I can move through twisties with more speed and a more accurate line than I could on the Sprint. If you want a relatively inexpensive light handling, nimble more all-round day and weekend Sport-tourer that can handle dirt and gravel roads better than the GT, but not much, and ride mostly one up-in relatively good weather buy the Sprint. The Sprint ABS will be about 5K cheaper than the GT, but if you put all the extra on the Sprint to match the GT (you won’t be able to replicate the ESA), it won’t be much cheaper and the resale won’t be as good. The styling of the Sprint is much better in my opinion, and after market parts are going to be more available at a cheaper price, in general. I’d buy another Triumph in a heartbeat, and I would not have any problem with buying a GT if I had the time to take extensive trips. I don’t so the K-S is a perfect Sport-touring for the 3 days to a week trips I take, and my daily hot rod riding-style. You can’t go wrong with either bike, like I said it depends on your riding style and needs. Good luck with your choice.

·
Registered
357 Posts
I just came from a 2003 K1200RS/GT to the 2006 Sprint STA July 2006. The STA is less money and less weight and equal in performance - (actually...more performance - more HP if you look at the power to weight ratio)...bags included (I think / still??).

Have you tried to twist the loud handle on the KGT?? You'll need two boy scouts and a sherpa to twist it to loud...on the STA it's like it's tied to a light pipe - instant on..! No comparison....

Lastly...I do miss the Elec. Cruise on my old KRS - but don't miss it enough to keep that heavy pig. It doesn't have anymore hp than the STA and it's so sssssssssssssssssssllllllllllllllllooooooooooooooooooooooowwwww in the twisties...while eating up fron t tire as you plow the heavy scoot thru a turn.

Take it from one who knows - get the STA and don't look back.

Been there - did that -- haven't looked back. and color me happy...

:^)

Best :

·
Registered
720 Posts
"The attitude of the sales people didnt impress me either. The mere suggestion of a non BMW accessory is tantamount to heresy and nearly had me frog marched off the premises."

LOL Beach!
My Triumph dealer also is the local BMW dealer. A couple of the people who work there confided in me that many BMW riders are quite peculiar. Many BMW folks that I've met there are just normal guys who happen to like BMWs for some reason. Some are truly peculiar however. :-D

·
Premium Member
4,566 Posts
On 2006-11-20 22:32, omaz wrote:
"The attitude of the sales people didnt impress me either. The mere suggestion of a non BMW accessory is tantamount to heresy and nearly had me frog marched off the premises."

LOL Beach!
My Triumph dealer also is the local BMW dealer. A couple of the people who work there confided in me that many BMW riders are quite peculiar. Many BMW folks that I've met there are just normal guys who happen to like BMWs for some reason. Some are truly peculiar however. :-D
LOL again, 'cos of course us Trumpy riders are dead set normal. Not a peculiar one amongst us :-D

Russ

·
Registered
1,732 Posts
Yeah!!! What Russ said! :jest:

Except for maybe Harry :razz: and perhaps Ross :???: .......

.....and has anyone seen what Det gets upto...???? :roflmoa2:
:chug: :hihi: :pkit: :puke:

But apart from that... :hammer:

·
Registered
157 Posts
(The ST) will be about 5K cheaper than the GT, but if you put all the extra on the Sprint to match the GT (you won’t be able to replicate the ESA), it won’t be much cheaper and the resale won’t be as good.
Sorry. Couldn't let this one go.

Firstly its apples and oranges. But if we insist on comparing the two.

In Oz the GT comes in 3 variants: Standard Komfort and SE. They are just under 30K, 31K and 32K respectively. According to the website you then option the ESA. Don't know how much it is.

A Sprint ST sans ABS is just under 16K. Not sure how much the ABS version is but lets say 2K. That's 17. That's a lot of money to spend on the ST.

In any event, if I was in the market for a GT type bike I would opt for the FJR. So much better value for money IMHO even though I like the look of the GT and would love someone to give me one.

And I don't think we have the same resale problems here in Oz like you do in the US. Used Trumps seem to sell well.

Just my 2c worth.

·
Registered
257 Posts
I own an ST and demo'ed a K1200GT. I am glad I own the Triumph. It all comes down to the type of riding you plan to do. The beemer felt numb to me...almost Goldwing-like. If you plan to do any spirited riding and actually want to feel what the front end is up to, go wth the ST.

·
Banned
2,152 Posts
BMW rallies suck too. Every one in bed by 10pm.

You also get the "My schnitzelgruber is bigger than your schnitzelgruber" Just like with the cars.

D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Also tried both in the run up to purchase the Print is far superior in ease of handling and performance and most importantly price and like BMW all Triumphs last forever . :cool:

1 - 19 of 19 Posts