Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have recently replaced my much beloved 96 Trophy 1200 for a 99 Sprint St which I have to say is much better for the type of riding I am doing, Sunday morning scratching with some occasional short distance touring. The Sprint has a Powerbronze dubble-bubble screen and where it loses out on the Trophy is wind protection - at 80 or above on the m/ways it feels like some invisible alien force is doing its best to push me off the back of the bike; there is no blast on my head but the pressure on the chest is huge not helped by the fact that I was born larger than average and present a bigger target than many. To get to the point, is there a taller screen, original or aftermarket, for this machine that will ease my journeys up the windswept passageways of the North? Or should I stop being a wuss and develop my upper arm and shoulder muscles and learn to hang on like a real man...? :???:

·
Registered
25 Posts
There is an after market screen marketed by Skidmarx. Don't bother with a double bubble screen as these blast the air to your shoulders. I am 6ft 3 so this could be a contributory factor. Skidmarx make a taller screen with a lip that is very effective. Jack Lilly also lists this type of screen. hope this helps.

·
Registered
774 Posts
I bought my '02 Sprint ST used and drove it home. Did 870 miles the first day. Loved the bike immediately even more than I thought I would, but had the same feeling you describe about the wind on my chest. After a while my hands/forearms got tired just holding on against the wind. I got a MRA Touring Vario screen from TwistedThrottle.com and I love it! If I want more air on my chest I lower the adjustable airfoil down, if I want less air I raise it up. Did 6,225 miles in 10 days of riding this summer and the screen was wonderful. It's always a trade though and as someone said earlier in a posting, the larger a slab you put out there the more potential turbulence you create. Apparently it's an inviolate rule of this universe that you can't have your cake and eat it too. When I'm king I'm going to change that rule. :cool:

1 - 4 of 4 Posts