Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Guys,

I need some advice please.

I currently have a Sprint ST, ABS, that I use for my 10 mile commute into work. The route is 80% twisty country lanes, 5% fast dual carriageway, and 15% town work with quite a bit of heavy traffic filtering.

Since I've had the Sprint, I've found it very heavy in town and filtering, and to my great shame I've dropped it doing very low speed manouvres. Its partly my crap riding, but a lot of its to do with the heaviness of the bike at low speed. I find around town and in traffic its a very heavy bike. At speed its an absolute delight, and touring its brilliant.

My question to the members is this: has anyone swapped from a Sprint to a Street Triple, and if so what was the experience like?

I wonder whether for the amount of country lanes and town riding I do if the lighter more flickable bike might be better.

Your thoughts most welcome.

Cheers

·
Registered
3 Posts
I would say that for the distance you have to go and the roads you have to ride the Street Triple would be ideal, the only note of caution I can think of would be the limited steering lock, but never having ridden a Sprint I have no idea what the lock is like.

Anyone who says the street has a limited steering lock has never tried turning in the road on a Ducati superbike then!

Chris

·
Registered
2,326 Posts
Swapped a ST1050 for a Street Triple a year ago. The Street Triple is no good for a)Touring b)2 up riding but for everything else it is simply brilliant. It is much lighter and very easy to ride especially about town. Filtering is very easy as it is a narrow bike. No problem with steering lock.

·
Registered
2,437 Posts
I've test ridden a Street Triple & I'd think that it's one of the best city bikes ever.

However, I have no problems with the Sprint, but I think that's 'cos I had aircooled 1,100's in the Eighties & they were considerably bigger & heavier than the Sprint. So I guess it has a lot to do with what you're used to.

If you go to a deserted car park, can you ride the Sprint on full steering lock with your feet on the pegs? Over & over again, round & round in circles? If not, I suggest you might consider practising it. Once you've got it mastered I'd think that you'll never have problems with the Sprint again at slow speed!

DaveB.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hi DaveB,

Howzit?

Thanks for advice. I have to say that I have never done as you suggested, and gone round and round a deserted car park. I know lots of people suggest doing that.
The problem I find is that if I have the panniers on, slow work around towns is really hard, and I often feel like the bike is unstable, esp if I have to brake sharply. It unsettles the bike, and it feels like I might fall.

Anyhow, I've arranged a test ride tomorrow, so we will see how the Street Triple is then.
I have to say, when I had smaller bikes like an SV650, or even a 955 Sprint RS, I never had the same feeling of "top-heaviness" that I get from my current Sprint ST

Cheers,

Julian

·
Premium Member
4,788 Posts
the only note of caution I can think of would be the limited steering lock
And the only time that's ever really a problem is when you're pushing the bike in or out of a cramped parking spot. On the road, you'll never notice it. Doing the very thing DaveB talks about, I can do tighter circles on the Street than I ever could the Speed Triple, which is the Sprint's direct sibling.

·
Registered
2,437 Posts
Howzit Dokotela.

Ah yes, the panniers. Well they make the bike mighty wide & definitely make lane filtering more awkward. There's a guy here who does a lot of commuting on his Sprint & he fitted a rack & topbox to keep the bike narrow. But that puts the c of g even higher :eek:.

I use my 955 Tiger, with topbox, and that bike's even taller. I definitely recommend the car park routine!

Good luck,

DaveB.

·
Registered
235 Posts
Swapped a ST1050 for a Street Triple a year ago. The Street Triple is no good for a)Touring b)2 up riding but for everything else it is simply brilliant. It is much lighter and very easy to ride especially about town. Filtering is very easy as it is a narrow bike. No problem with steering lock.
No good for a)Touring?

The definition of touring varies greatly by rider. In '07 I did a 22K kms trip on an unfaired SV650S - previous deer attack claimed most of the fairing. So I turned in into a street fighter, which I toured on. I'm betting I will have no problems touring on my STrippleR, which I finally pick up this Saturday! :)

Greg.

·
Registered
94 Posts
I think ghen is right... shouldn't be an issue for longer rides. I've read on a few forums now of riders posting 300 mile days consecutively... they say there can be wind fatigue on freeways... but who wants to be on highway's anyway... its about the twistys on the back roads, no?

·
Registered
326 Posts
The problem I find is that if I have the panniers on, slow work around towns is really hard, and I often feel like the bike is unstable, esp if I have to brake sharply. It unsettles the bike, and it feels like I might fall.
Make sure you're not touching the front brakes in speed of less than around 15mph when turning. THAT'S probably what's unsettling the bike, but then, you probably already know that.. If so, then sorry for mentionning.

·
Registered
267 Posts
I don't have problems using the front brake for low speed maneuvers. It's just all dependent on your finger sensitivity.

To be honest, I really dislike using the rear brake for low speed maneuvers. I prefer being able to keep both been on the ground "just in case".

It's probably not the best practice to do that, but that's just how I feel ;)

·
Premium Member
4,788 Posts
Ride a Tiger for a while, and you'll quickly break the highly discouraged habit of depending on your feet. :D

·
Registered
85 Posts
Street Triple R vs 1050 Sprint St

Hey guys, I've got a 2005 Sprint with 37,000 miles on it. I love it, but its killing my back and shoulder...old injuries. I just can't take the riding position anymore. I've test ridden the Street and Speed Triple and I like them both. For looks and performance the Triple R came out on top. How is the Street Triple R for highway riding? Does it have enough top end? I really liked the 675, but I'm concerned it wouldn't be up to my highway commute to work.

Thanks!

·
Registered
82 Posts
You're joking, right?

I just did 700 miles (on Interstate mostly) yesterday on my way home from SC.

(I ran through a half-dozen serious downpours along the way.)

It was a 12 hr ride and I felt fine when I got home.

(I do use a Freedom Air seat pad).

I now believe that I could do a 1,000 mile day on that bike, if I ever get the urge.

The Striple is a blast to ride. I have over 10,000 miles on my R in just over 2 months.

I've ridden some of the most serious twisties east of the Mississippi on it.

I've fought my way through heavy inner city traffic.

I've filtered through high speed interstate congestion.

I've even loaded it with gear for a 2 week camping trip.

I even carried a pillion on it for a short bit a few days ago.

For any kind of commute that I can think of, it's just about perfect!

·
Registered
2,326 Posts
From 2008 the ST1050 has higher bars (as standard) that result in an easier load on the arms, shoulders. It is a simple retro-fit to an 05 and might be a better solution as the bars on striple are also quite low. The striple seat is not as comfortable as the ST1050 even with a gel seat. Nor will it take 2-up or luggage as easily.
But have no doubts as to the engines ability to run all day at speed. If anything the 675 engine is better than the 1050.

·
Registered
582 Posts
I would take the Sprint over the Striple if I were planning on doing any kind of long hauling. I did over 1,000 miles in two days on my Striple and i'll never do it again.

Around town acting a fool is a different story :)

·
Premium Member
4,788 Posts
For someone with back or shoulder problems, the Street may well be more comfortable than the Sprint for long hauls. (The Street is easier on my back than the Speed was, for certain!)

Of course, the Street will lack some of the touring niceties of the Sprint...

·
Registered
211 Posts
I have an 06 Sprint and an 09 Street.

The 675 is a different beast than the 1050. The power is more immediate on the 675 where the Sprint takes a bit to wind up. The 675 turns more rpms but doesn't vibrate as much as the 1050...at least thats the way mine is.

I have the taller bars on my Sprint and the Street is still more comfortable for me. The reach to the bars is much shorter so I sit more upright.

Pillion comfort and luggage goes the the Sprint but if I was going by myself I think I'd prefer the Street.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts