Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
354 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hiya Sprint Owners,

I have been given the green light to get a sport touring bike by my wife. Right now the Sprint ST is my choice. Can't get enough of that 1050 stuff. Anyhow, I do want to be thorough in my research and ask you all if during your purchase you looked at the BMW K1200GT and how it compares with the ST, and what tipped you towards the Sprint. What are your thoughts?

Thanks!

·
Registered
497 Posts
I guess it depends on what you want out of the bike. The GT is far closer to a touring bike and the Sprint is closer to a sportbike. The GT has about 25 hp more, but weighs 100lbs more, and has shaft drive, which together on paper more than negate that 25 hp advantage.

IMHO the GT is far closer to bikes like the ST1300 or FJR. The Sprint is closer to a VFR, but faster.

Part of it will be how long/far you and your wife want to go in a day. My personal max on the Sprint is about 400 miles if I am enjoying myself. (That's not 400 in 24 hours, just 400 in a day's riding). Even with a custom seat, I'm not sure a passenger would be really happy with 400 miles on a Sprint, though half that would be a pleasure for the passenger, I think. the GT will probably provide more comfortable distance for the passenger than the Sprint can give.

[ This message was edited by: SR1 on 2007-02-15 21:24 ]

·
Registered
131 Posts
Apples to Oranges man... I rode the K12GT when I bought my ST13, and based that decision on feeling the ST13 was the more nimble of the two (and I had great luck with my ST11 for 75K miles).

I added the Sprint because it is IMO at the far opposite end of the ST segment keeping closer company with the ST3, VFR, etc.... the perfect complement to the bigger more touring oriented ST13. It stole me away from a long time love for the VFR... it's a V4 thing!

ST13: trips involving excessive gear, or two up, extreme weather, or just because I love riding the wheels off of it and freaking out squids on race reps. - can easily do 500-1000+ mile days depending on the roads chosen. This bike can be ridden very aggressively 2-up by a well practiced couple... really!

Sprint: daily ride, long day rides, light gear multi day rides, NO 2 up rides, and not great in real extreme weather... low 30's and up isn't bad. I've done 320 miles on it once no problem, guessing I'll be good on it to about 500 miles. This is the one I take to go practice... :cool:

So you need to decide what corner of the ring you want to play in, and then go compare like bikes. In the SPORT touring corner, there's about everything you could want to find in fine offerings from Honda, Duc, Triumph, and even BMW if you can get past that gawd awful beating they put on the front end of the R12ST. On the sport TOURING side, you've got even more great choices - RT & GT, ST13, FJR, and the new Connie are what come right to mind.

The ST13 is a sleeper, and as dependable as it gets. It handles as well or better than everything else I have ridden in that class (pretty much all of them), and the smoothness is unmatched, by a lot! K12GT's have had more than their fair share of issues from what I have seen.... FWIW :-D Have fun!

[ This message was edited by: GRN on 2007-02-15 22:15 ]

·
Registered
354 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks fellas - looks like I am on the right track.

I am much more on the SPORT touring side of things! And again, I have never ridden a bike with a more useable mill than the 1050.

I am sure I'll be back when I finalize the deal for some advise on the new Sprint!

·
Registered
349 Posts
You shouldn't use VFR and Sprint in the same sentence. :-D

Apples to Oranges. I once maid that same comparison....... Once.

Three cylinders is greater than Four.

·
Registered
1,732 Posts
Everthing that has been said so far is a very good assessment.

When my 99 ST went to the great twisty piece of tarmac in the sky, may she rest in peace, I considered the BM.

I was talked out of the BMW due to shrinking dealer coverage on our island and the lack of factory support, should there be a problem.

The final straw was the BWW was $10,000 AUD (that is not a typo!) more than the 05 ST.

When I asked about fitting after market accessories to the Big Bavarian I was almost frogged marched off the premises.

This is just one persons experience, but I am very happy with the ST.

Keep in mind the 05+ ST is not the best for pillion comfort if that is a consideration for you.

Cheers,
Brett.

·
Registered
658 Posts
The GT is not a sport-touring bike by any standards (even BMW's own). Now maybe in the US people have different ideas about what an ST bike is.

Regardless of the comments about Triumph vs BMW and their price differences, you're looking at two different classes of bikes.

The following BMW bikes might be more comparable to the ST IMHO.

R series: R1200ST, R1200S, R1200R Sport (+ extra lower fairing)
K series: K1200S, K1200R Sport (+ extra lower fairing).

[ This message was edited by: NikosR on 2007-02-16 03:14 ]

·
Registered
896 Posts
I chose the 06 ST because 80% of my riding is just going for a blast for a few hours round the twisties, and the other 20% of the time I needed a bike for carrying me and my gear touring, rallying, and weekends away.
Though I am having the new higher bar option fitted soon for more serious 6 weeks touring in the summer as I`m finding that my chin is sat on the tankbag with the lower bars, but the higher bars gives me the option of switching back to the lower bars, as and when I need em, as the high bar kit includes slightly longer clutch cable and hydraulic front hose.
as others have said, its down to what you want to do with your bike

·
Registered
33 Posts
I wouldn't compare a K1200GT with an ST.

When I made my choice, I tried the K1200S and the ST and the K1200S is a nice bike... For sure, it's nice... The brakes and that engine.. uhmmm sweeet...

But, .... I choosed the ST, .. Why ??? Looks FAR better, more suitable for longer trips (And, I've done 822km~500miles in 1 day, in eastern europe (Slovakia and Poland)), the sound !, the annual cost... and, because it's a TRIUMPH !.

It's my 7th Triumph (and 16th bike overall) and now I can't find anything better than this bike...

·
Registered
198 Posts
Ditto the other guys...

It really depends on your riding style....
me.... I also like the sports side, even had a CBR1000RR, for the first year I got my ST.....
I just could'nt stand riding the CBR1000RR for more than half a day....
it really hurt [physically.....like the 675 does] !!!! :cuss:

My CBR stopped turning a wheel when I got my ST run in...
which is WHY is swopped it for my S3 ! :-g

Me.... I can ride like a tw**/sports bike rider on the ST, or just chose to ride progressively......
but also spend ALL DAY in the ST saddle, 11 hours is the longest !

However.... I DON'T miss the EXCESS weight of the supertourers,
I really like the twisty stuff...& so does my ST,
I think TRIUMPH are pretty much SPOT ON with the ST ! :bow:

My only comment would be.....
Rode the latest 1050 TIGER yet ?
I have.....& I'd consider a 1050 Tiger over a supertourer
anyday ! :clap:

P.S. Still prefer the ST tho.... :bow:

Neil.

·
Registered
198 Posts
PeirreOBollox,
Can you let me know when you've got your high bars fitted please.
I'd like to know what you think of the upgrade !
& what the diference is....
I'd also be happy to catch up somewhere to compare bar setups !

Cheers,
Neil.

·
Registered
711 Posts
MrBiff, I have been checking the same options over the last few months while waiting for the 07 Tiger/Sprints to arrive. I have PM'd some members here that are/were BeeMer riders. Almost too much info, sometimes ignorance is bliss and you should just get a test ride and decide what calls to you.

They are two totally different class vehicles due to the weight and dimensions, an excellent rider can make the most of any bike, but as others here said, what will you most often use the bike for. Record setting laps on the Dragon using a Gold Wing is an exception for most riders (at least 4 me).

That all being said, I still can't walk away from the BMW at this point. Few things you need to research and decide on IMHO. The 07 K bikes appear to have been given another "upgrade" gear set from the 05-06 date of manufacture bikes. They also appear to have new software changes that address surging and other assorted complaints. They had numerous 6 and 7 upgrades and now are on version 8 software (I believe). The 07 no longer have the "power" brakes some thought were quirky, but I know other riders that never had an issue with them. The Conti-Tevis system is a very good (true anti-lock) system, but it requires costly service if you don't like to do your own wrenching. IMO earlier K looked SEXIER, 02-04 appears to have good looks and received major design upgrades, newer version has the transverse motor, less weight and more HP.

Decisions, decisions.

I've read many web site comments and the ones with problems are the ones you hear about. Just like the Triumphs we love, a good dealer is what makes the experience positive or negative. Niggling complaints are easily erased or amplified depending on your local shop abilities and attitude. I appreciate folks here getting upset when they can't get issues resolved, read some howling when you pay almost twice as much and have them too.

I read a comment the other day that I enjoyed. BMW is coming up with technology answers to questions nobody is asking.

Good luck.
BobW

·
Registered
357 Posts
I actually came from a 2003 KRS BMW TO the Sprint STA for several reasons...

power to weight

horsepower

torque

riding position

included luggage

great deal by my dealer in KC

have NOT looked back

·
Registered
441 Posts
Went through this same decision when I bought my ST. The things I wanted on a bike were ABS, and plenty of power. Like the GT, thought it would be great for long rides, as I rarely do less than 3-400 in a day when I go out for a ride. Went down to BMW and looked over their first K1200GT and thought wow nice bike. Took a test ride on the ST and the smile didn't leave for a week.

These are two different bikes and yet to me they are very similar. When I bought the sprint I rode it back across the country and did 3000 miles in 4 days, with one day being close to 900 miles. The only thing I found uncomfortable on the whole trip was my gloves oh and day two when it poured on me all the way across Wisconsin. No complaints about the bike at all. And If I had any I could easily fix them with what I saved in cost difference.

So I can say the bike is great over long distances, love the luggage, and the looks. What really did it for me was the BMW was $24,000 out the door and I paid $11,000 for the sprint.

After I was home I went to the BMW place looking for new gear, as my waterproof stuff leaked on my way home, and the guy that I was dealing with (a bonnie rider) told my very quietly that the sprint would eat up any bike that BMW sold :-D .

As for horsepower and weight go Motorcyclist Magazine prints rear wheel dyno numbers and they are:

K1200GT (07) HP 127.6 Weight wet 673lbs
Sprint ST (05) HP 121.3 Weight wet 552lbs

So the triumph is 4.5 lbs per HP and the BMW is 5.3 lbs per HP, Triumph wins here. Oh and it looks so much better :razz:

Gary

·
Registered
122 Posts
Mr Biff,

I stepped over to the ST world last June. From the Evilness of the V-Twins. No regrets. Had demoed a couple of B-mers and looked at the FJR. Got an 06 Sprint ST. The only bike for me. And what everybody says about the inline triple is dead-on. The power, the sound, and relatively low cost for maint. puts the Triumph out there all by itself!!!

Choices? There are no choices!

Brian

·
Registered
896 Posts
On 2007-02-16 06:34, neil1052 wrote:
PeirreOBollox,
Can you let me know when you've got your high bars fitted please.
I'd like to know what you think of the upgrade !
& what the diference is....
I'd also be happy to catch up somewhere to compare bar setups !

Cheers,
Neil.
I`ll let you know when I have them, I don`t expect to have them before 1st march when the dealers should have them in stock.
most likely I will have them sometime after the 10th march when I get back from my trip to the bike week in Daytona Florida :-D

·
Registered
1,499 Posts
I just checked out the BMW on their web site. Really good looking machine!

At almost $20k I would have to go with the Sprint. You can get them for under $10k new.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts