Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Having a look to see if anyone else thinks that the new ST’s high beam is pants? The dip beam is ok, if somewhat sharp on the cut off, but high beam is weedy and really not up to the capabilities of the bike.

I recently had cause to use my high beam in anger for the first time out in the sticks and was appalled at how bad it was. My last bike was a 650 V Strom and that had superb lights. Seems daft that a bike marketed at the sports touring sector should have such a fundamental flaw. Mentioned this to my dealer who just seemed to agree that the lights were not up to much. Anyone else has the same experience, or am I just getting old?
:cool:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
171 Posts
Same as you. They all are like that. :(



the new ST’s high beam is pants ?

but high beam is weedy :???: Translate... Please
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
46 Posts
Villan,
I too came to the ST from a VStrom 650. The lights on the ST are so bad that I have been unwilling to ride after dark. I live in a canyon with a very twisty road. Going into turns at night was truly scary.

For Christmas, my kids bought me a set of Motolights (I specified which lights to buy.). I opted for the 50 watt bulbs with the 12 degree beam. I chose Motolight because they make a mount specifically for the 05+ Sprint ST.

Installing these lights was a pain. To properly route the wiring harness required removal of the fairing, tank, and air box. When I started the bike after putting it back together, much to my dismay, the "check engine" light came on. A fellow Sprint owner told me that this was normal with tank or airbox removal and that the light would soon go off. Thankfully, it did.

Last night, I took my first ride with the new lights. Things are much better. The new lights are mounted on the brake calipers and thus turn with the forks. This makes the lights point into the turns where light is needed. The main beam is often pointing off into the weeds when the bike is leaned over hard into a turn. Switching on the high beam (main beam) now has very little effect except for adding a little more light way out in front.

By the way, I find the ST much easier to ride than the VStrom. In short, the ST is more confidence inspiring.

- Bruce O'Reilly
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
46 Posts
In my last posting, I wrote favorably about Motolights. Now, I have to withdraw my favorable comments. Yes, the lighting is great, but DO NOT INSTALL MOTOLOGHTS. Please see the thread entitled "Bike pulls to the left under braking." The problem was apparently caused by the Motolights. I don't understand the mechanism by which the Motolights cause the problem, but the problem is present when the Motolights are installed and disappears when they are removed. Perhaps the Motolight mounting distorts the caliper mounting in some way. In any case, the condition is extremely dangerous. I nearly killed myself simply by braking to a stop.

If you think I'm nuts, notice that I'm not the only member of this forum who has experienced this problem.

- Bruce O'Reilly
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,531 Posts
I don't think you're nuts because you're not the first person I heard this exact complaint from! Being a machinist I don't understand it either unless their bracket is not machined flat or is putting the caliper assembly in a slightly twisted or crooked condition. If it was just a slight misalignment the pads might wear to compensate for it. Not the best scenario but it might work if you give it a bit more road time so the pads might wear in to a new pattern. The last guy that had this problem did the same thing after trying a new set of brackets....took the dam things off!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
On 2006-12-31 01:36, Stlakid wrote:
I don't think you're nuts because you're not the first person I heard this exact complaint from! Being a machinist I don't understand it either unless their bracket is not machined flat or is putting the caliper assembly in a slightly twisted or crooked condition. If it was just a slight misalignment the pads might wear to compensate for it. Not the best scenario but it might work if you give it a bit more road time so the pads might wear in to a new pattern. The last guy that had this problem did the same thing after trying a new set of brackets....took the dam things off!
Sorry for the UK idiom, “Pants” is certainly a pejorative and it do mean “suck” in International. Well this may seem spooky, but guess what one of my Christmas presents was….you guessed it a set of caliper mounting Motolights! Seeing the comments here worries me, especially as they are not cheap and have been freighted from the US.

I think I’ll give them a careful try, paying attention to the recommended torque setting if I can find a manual form the ST, having problems with this. Overall though, the ST engine is a beautiful thing and the bike handles like a dream. I just wish Triumph would pay a bit more attention in the design phase to some really silly faults, like the lights and the seat mounting arrangement.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
46 Posts
Hi Villan,
Good luck with the Motolights. The torque for the caliper is 40 NM (29.5 lb-ft.).

Please keep us posted regarding your experience with the Motolights.

If you need any individual pages from the Triumph manual, I can scan them and email them to you.

- Bruce
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
459 Posts
On 2007-01-01 19:39, boreilly wrote:
If you need any individual pages from the Triumph manual, I can scan them and email them to you.

- Bruce
Can you do that for me too?

What pages do I need.......................














All of them :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D

Kev
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
On 2007-01-01 18:32, Villan wrote:
On 2006-12-31 01:36, Stlakid wrote:
I don't think you're nuts because you're not the first person I heard this exact complaint from! Being a machinist I don't understand it either unless their bracket is not machined flat or is putting the caliper assembly in a slightly twisted or crooked condition. If it was just a slight misalignment the pads might wear to compensate for it. Not the best scenario but it might work if you give it a bit more road time so the pads might wear in to a new pattern. The last guy that had this problem did the same thing after trying a new set of brackets....took the dam things off!
Top man, many thanks for that - just waiting for transatlantic snailmail.

Sorry for the UK idiom, “Pants” is certainly a pejorative and it do mean “suck” in International. Well this may seem spooky, but guess what one of my Christmas presents was….you guessed it a set of caliper mounting Motolights! Seeing the comments here worries me, especially as they are not cheap and have been freighted from the US.

I think I’ll give them a careful try, paying attention to the recommended torque setting if I can find a manual form the ST, having problems with this. Overall though, the ST engine is a beautiful thing and the bike handles like a dream. I just wish Triumph would pay a bit more attention in the design phase to some really silly faults, like the lights and the seat mounting arrangement.
:-D
 
1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Top