Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

21 - 31 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Interesting dicussion given the many different point of view. Here's my experience, only started riding a couple of years ago, learnt on a Suzuki GS500F, which was good in a way as it is a bit heavier than many other learner bikes. Went straight to the Sprint ST after that and have never looked back. I found the transition reasonably easy and just love the Sprint. Part of the reason for getting the Sprint was for my wife to join me on the back, which she does occassionally and loves being on the bike too. I ride it to work every day, only a short commute but prefer it to sitting on a bus.

So yes it may be a bit bigger and more powerful than other options but sensible riding and not abusing the power makes it a joy to ride.

Oops after finishing my post I saw Matt's final post, congratulations mate, enjoy the bike and yes, keep the sprint on the list for one day down the track.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Hey Matt and welcome back to two wheels. I chose an 01 Sprint ST as my first bike after a 15 year break from motorbikes and couldn't be happier. I see you ended up with a CBR for now but keep a Sprint on your wish list, they have a ton of soul. Bikes/tyres and suspension in general are so much better than back when we used to ride and I find my extra years of experience on the road (albeit on 4 wheels) has helped understand traffic better. If the bikes characteristics gives you confidence then its a good start whatever you're on. Stay safe and enjoy.

·
Registered
270 Posts
Just going to be repeating what some others have said, but for me, if this were a FIRST bike, I'd say no way. But with some past experience and taking a rider course (I'm biased as I'm an MSF RiderCoach), I'd give something like a Sprint (or that Honda) a VERY cautious green light. The suggestions for an SV, or even one of the Kawasaki twins would be better, but not by a huge margin.

Be safe, ride smart, and remember they're all trying to kill you out there!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Wow, just came across this thread from EIGHT years ago and very glad I did (though I doubt anyone apart from me will be reading or writing here now....). If they are and if an above contributor many thanks. 3 weeks away from (hopefully!) passing my bike test after a LONG 4 months from total beginner. Had my heart set on a Triumph, the Street Twin mainly but the STs are such good value and gorgeous! However...as someone that been riding for 4 months total (all be it with 35 years car driving experience in London! 52 years old) it seems the wise advice is to get a lower-powered cheap rough and ready - and perhaps forgiving - machine for the first 3-6 months while I rack up my experience...). Glad I found this thread...though the ST and the Street Twin (coincidentally sharing initials!) in my sights longer term! Any help on a first bike for a 52 year old with 35 years car and bicycle experience but little of motorbike, would be warmly welcomed....budget is £3k max (as I'll probably drop it at the least!) and will be used for a bit of London commuting but mainly weekend ride-outs... cheers, Barney Musician (on keys in this outfit - JOY)

·
Registered
69 Posts
I had over 30 years OFF bikes but always wanted to be back on one. Had promised to get a 600 Bandit if I had the chance. 6 years ago I took the plunge but opted for a Suzuki SFV650 Gladius. Loved the thing, Kept it for 13000 miles in 18 months. During that time I also tried off-roading with a KTM 400 which I had for a trip over to the Isle of Man, but honestly it was not really me. The Suzuki I traded in for a Sprint GT which is a totally different beast and did take a lot to get used to. Well this is doing 10000 miles a year and now is on over 50000 miles and that many smiles. My mates booked again for the IOM, but I had already sold the KTM, so looked for a smaller bike than the GT to take in the van. Found my Suzuki for sale on Ebay and got it back at same price as traded with only 250 miles extra but a new rear tyre. More big smiles. Just love the easy handling of that smaller bike and that engine is brilliant, but I dont do many miles on it as the GT is my main workhorse. Was offered a 600 Bandit at a cheap price and filled my promise, so got that and fiddled with it to get it running nice. Well after all the years of envy I must say I didn't like it. Sure it went well if I wound it on but it was lots harder to keep on the speed than the SFV650 engine. Eventually I was offered a real good price that I couldn't refuse so sold it for a profit for once. So in the shed are two bikes (cant count the ST70 Lady DAX as its not a runner). The Gladius I love for the engine, although the suspension is crappy cheap, and think its an ideal bike to get some miles under your belt as would be any of the Suzuki 650 V's. And the Triumph is a real mile gobbler and I think it handles well. Bit top heavy maybe and slow turning due to the length but if you have a tool kit to do the maintenance yourself is a good bike but not for beginners. I say use your own spanners as servicing costs at dealers are high what with the swing arm maintenance adding to it. My bikes valves may need adjusting next check but its past 50000 so doing well with no problems.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I had over 30 years OFF bikes but always wanted to be back on one. Had promised to get a 600 Bandit if I had the chance. 6 years ago I took the plunge but opted for a Suzuki SFV650 Gladius. Loved the thing, Kept it for 13000 miles in 18 months. During that time I also tried off-roading with a KTM 400 which I had for a trip over to the Isle of Man, but honestly it was not really me. The Suzuki I traded in for a Sprint GT which is a totally different beast and did take a lot to get used to. Well this is doing 10000 miles a year and now is on over 50000 miles and that many smiles. My mates booked again for the IOM, but I had already sold the KTM, so looked for a smaller bike than the GT to take in the van. Found my Suzuki for sale on Ebay and got it back at same price as traded with only 250 miles extra but a new rear tyre. More big smiles. Just love the easy handling of that smaller bike and that engine is brilliant, but I dont do many miles on it as the GT is my main workhorse. Was offered a 600 Bandit at a cheap price and filled my promise, so got that and fiddled with it to get it running nice. Well after all the years of envy I must say I didn't like it. Sure it went well if I wound it on but it was lots harder to keep on the speed than the SFV650 engine. Eventually I was offered a real good price that I couldn't refuse so sold it for a profit for once. So in the shed are two bikes (cant count the ST70 Lady DAX as its not a runner). The Gladius I love for the engine, although the suspension is crappy cheap, and think its an ideal bike to get some miles under your belt as would be any of the Suzuki 650 V's. And the Triumph is a real mile gobbler and I think it handles well. Bit top heavy maybe and slow turning due to the length but if you have a tool kit to do the maintenance yourself is a good bike but not for beginners. I say use your own spanners as servicing costs at dealers are high what with the swing arm maintenance adding to it. My bikes valves may need adjusting next check but its past 50000 so doing well with no problems.
Thanks for this advice. Coincidentally I'm learning on an SV650 (a newer model - last years - than the Gladius, though the Gladius looks lovely) and I love it. It's a perfect learner bike and if I was to get a second bike after the Street Twin the Suzuki might well be it. I like the look of the Triumph GT too but prefer the ST with it's under-saddle 3 exhausts leaving the lovely rear wheel exposed. Anyway, my loan has come through and 2 weeks until I do my Mod 2 so fingers crossed I pass, then will get a 2016-18 Street Twin which has it's bhp set to 54 so not too wild...after 6 months of getting used to it I'll be modding it up to 74bhp with the help of Tec Bike Parts :)

·
Registered
69 Posts
Barnaby, I had a test ride on one the twin Triumphs. Cant remember the model properly but think it was T100 possibly. Only tried it as Brother in law was testing a T120 1200cc. We went on a main A road with dual carraigeway and i Honestly found it really bland and uninspiring on that road compared to the Gladius. Next we turned off onto a B road with rougher road and tighter bends. Transformed my feelings, really suited the road and much superior suspension than my Gladius. Got through this cut through of about 20 miles and was really liking the twin. but things like mirrors were poor. Back on a Major A road again and Back to hating it. Strange. Overall I would say I prefer the 650 v engine but I do know that the shockers want upgrading. Possibly the extra horses help although the torque should be up some on the Triumph.

·
2,951 Posts
I wouldn't want a Sprint as my first bike. An SV650 is much more friendly to new riders though.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4 Posts
Barnaby, I had a test ride on one the twin Triumphs. Cant remember the model properly but think it was T100 possibly. Only tried it as Brother in law was testing a T120 1200cc. We went on a main A road with dual carraigeway and i Honestly found it really bland and uninspiring on that road compared to the Gladius. Next we turned off onto a B road with rougher road and tighter bends. Transformed my feelings, really suited the road and much superior suspension than my Gladius. Got through this cut through of about 20 miles and was really liking the twin. but things like mirrors were poor. Back on a Major A road again and Back to hating it. Strange. Overall I would say I prefer the 650 v engine but I do know that the shockers want upgrading. Possibly the extra horses help although the torque should be up some on the Triumph.
So...I've bought a Street Twin, a very good example in black with little mileage and 2018. I passed my Mod 2 test on Wednesday on the excellent SV650 which as we agree is an excellent bike. Triumph now have my brand loyalty though and I have many plans for my bike...but I might just ride it around a while first :)

·
Premium Member
64 Posts
Going to get back in to motorcycle riding (after 20+ years) and found a decently priced 2001 Sprint ST not too far away from me. I rode dirt bikes as a kid and teenager for fun, but now am looking to get back into it to "commute" from where I live to my job in North Dakota during summer. Of course I'll be riding it here at home too.
Are there any things I need to look out for? Things I need to check carefully?
You may ask why I'm looking at a Sprint ST.... Price for one and looks for the other. The bike just looks great. I know looks shouldn't really matter a whole lol. My biggest concern is reliability. The nearest Triumph dealer is a little over 100 miles south of me.

Any advice would be most appreciated! Thanks in advance....

If you've never owned and ridden a high powered sport touring motorcycle then you are asking for disaster (or worse). Should start off with something smaller and less powerful until your senses and reflexes will allow you to handle and enjoy the more powerful motorcycle. I also owned a Tornado Red 2001 ST, fully optioned except for the TOR exhaust - excellent motorcycle. Sadly, I've been on the sidelines for over a year due to medical issues - 50+ year rider.

21 - 31 of 31 Posts